Is Wallace the best option for CB2?

UConn James

Possibly, as the coaches think he is. Perhaps they will make a change. Sure, it would be great to have a superstar at every position on D and have no weaknesses. That’s unlikely to happen in today’s league. Some pass rush once in awhile would probably cease any griping about Wallace. The defense isn’t the problem with this team right now. 

7 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Levi Wallace is a good player.

How about we aim higher at QB?

#AMIRIGHT?

Oh my, you are absolutely right on the QB.  I was very hopeful on Josh but I just can't see it after the last few games.  I didn't say Levi wasn't good, they just need better to win today.   

I won't criticize Wallace for the Landry TD. It was a very good pass and Landry, who has no problems tracking a ball in the air, made a great adjustment and flashed excellent hands. Wallace was in tight coverage and nearly got his hand on the ball. Wallace is not a CB2 IMO. He is limited physically but he's a smart player who absolutely belongs on an NFL roster. Bills (McD I suspect) seem to have a penchant for these types of undrafted or late round smart, system friendly but measurables lacking DBs, J. Johnson is another. They can be good value.

There is a reason Tre gives Beckham Jr. a big cushion. It's because he's often 1 on 1 against the opposition's best receiver and without help over the top he could very well have his a$$ handed to him and he knows it. Tre is an outstanding young corner and really a top shelf technician, but like almost all good players he has his kryptonite. A burner can beat him on go routes. Playing off a guy like BJ is probably really just part of his being a good technician. He knows his own strengths and weaknesses. 

21 hours ago, Luka said:

Wallace has proven against the Eagles and Browns that he is the weak link in the secondary. He is also poor in run support, not physical enough.

I see people are finally catching on. I never saw what people saw in the kid. For me it wasn’t necessarily his coverage but I never liked his run support. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Protocal69 said:

I see people are finally catching on. I never saw what people saw in the kid. For me it wasn’t necessarily his coverage but I never liked his run support. 

Yea it's crazy to think we play Nickel most of the time and our CB2 is that weak against the run.

21 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Agree with Wallace as he’s not good. 

But can’t really blame Tre. He had a great game for

the most part

Tre's been a Pro Bowl CB all year. Maybe Beane can spend some of that cap $ on a better cb2. Wallace should not start and only come in for Nickel situations.

• Like (+1) 1

The Defense is starting to show some cracks.  No doubt.

But they are still keeping teams off the scoreboard, and performing at a pretty high level.

Levi Wallace is a solid corner.  But teams are starting to realize how good Tre White is, and are going to test him constantly.

Unfortunately, very few CBs can continually shut-down good WRs (like Jarvis Landry) without some help over the top.

And due to our struggles in the run game, we are being forced to play our safeties in the box more and keep the corners alone on an island.  It's all a cycle.

What this team needs is the Offense to actually put some points on the board.  This will force opponents to become more one-dimension to keep up, and let the defense play to its strengths.  It's ridiculous to expect them to keep teams under 14 points every week.

5 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

They like Taron Johnson as the nickel CB.  Yes Levi Wallace is better than Kevin Johnson.  Go back and watch that beautiful pass that Mayfield lobbed to Landry.  Johnson was in coverage.  I don’t think having him start would make much difference 

That was actually a very good recovery by Wallace but it was a better throw. Perfect, actually.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:49 PM, Buffalo716 said:

There were lots here who thought we easily have the best secondary in the league

Levi is a decent young corner but any and every QB can pick on him

Our secondary is good but not the best in league. Levi has to play 7-10 yards off way to much

The safeties aren’t making as many big plays so far this season.  Hyde has been Dr Jekyll.

3 minutes ago, ColeB said:

The safeties aren’t making as many big plays so far this season.  Hyde has been Dr Jekyll.

Hyde is still sooo much more valuable than Poyer. He always lines guys up in the right spots and calls out plays

Hyde is smaller than Poyer and 10 x the tackler. Hyde isn't even a great tackler so that shows you how poor poyer is at it and it hurts out run D

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Hyde is still sooo much more valuable than Poyer. He always lines guys up in the right spots and calls out plays

Hyde is smaller than Poyer and 10 x the tackler. Hyde isn't even a great tackler so that shows you how poor poyer is at it and it hurts out run D

Poyer is not built to be a run stopper. The D-Line is failing this team, the Oliver pick is not working.

1 minute ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Poyer is not built to be a run stopper. The D-Line is failing this team, the Oliver pick is not working.

Our team is not built to stop the run

We have a defense built for the modern age of 21st century football and throwing the ball

Unfortunately running and defense wins in the playoffs so they better fix it

26 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They do a very good job on TEs though.

On 11/10/2019 at 4:47 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

I was crucified on this board when I included him in a three way trade that netted the Bills Trent Williams and Washington would get Jalen Ramsey. We would send draft pick and Wallace to Jax. 

He's an average CB playing opposite a really good db

You may have been crucified but you look good crucified.  You should be crucified more often.