McDermotts tie vs win mentality [edited title]

14 hours ago, StHustle said:

1000000000% disagree. 4th and 4 with a 52 yard field goal in favorable conditions with 20 seconds left to tie the game, you need a kicker who will nail it more times than not. You can argue all day that with our kicker being 0 for this season from 50+ that it was a bad call and I would even agree with that but thats why I said it was thr right call but with the wrong kicker which overall makes it a BAD CALL cause you need to understand who your kicker is. And again if you cant trust your kicker in that situation then he needs to be replaced.

Favorable conditions?  The kicker said it was on the edge of his range and it was into the wind

14 hours ago, peterpan said:

It was 4th down.  What did you see today that made you think they'd convert?  Before the TO, they sent the team out there to try and drawn them Offside.  I was screaming "what are you doing!!!! Kick it kick it!!!!"

Then they called TO and sent out the kicker.  

I can't believe people are saying we should have went for it in that position.  It's a stupid opinion to hold.  

PS we clearly need a new kicker.  McD showed no confidence in him all game. 

Did they? I'll go back and re-watch, but I'm pretty sure they wasted at least 30 seconds huddling up for 3rd and 4. Threw it out of bounds, then sent out the kicker with a timeout in their pocket. 

That's inexcusable before you mention they wasted a timeout on defense immediately after the 2 min warning and immediately before giving up the big play to Landry.

I guess I'm not as upset about wasting seemingly critical timeouts on defense if they're not even going to use them.

Edit: Just watched again. I see what you mean. But, the timeout didn't even stop the clock, much like the first one used after the two minute warning. Very poor management.

Edited by Chemical

I lost a lot of faith and trust in McDermott there.  It just appeared they weren't prepared for a situation they should have been prepared for, and couldnt have managed it worse.

Wasted timeout.  Then moving the ball until a self-induced stall out at the very edge of your shaky FG kicker's range.  It felt like this was going to be a huge moment/drive for Allen, then they started wasting time and huddling.

%-wise, I would take a 4th and 4 over a 53 yard attempt in that situation.  

Stopping at the edge of the FG range, and donking off the rest of the time is the kind of garbage we look down our noses and laugh at guys like Kitchens and Gase for.  

Above all things, this was my takeaway from the game, and the most 'disturbing' thing.

14 hours ago, peterpan said:

It was 4th down.  What did you see today that made you think they'd convert?  Before the TO, they sent the team out there to try and drawn them Offside.  I was screaming "what are you doing!!!! Kick it kick it!!!!"

Then they called TO and sent out the kicker.  

I can't believe people are saying we should have went for it in that position.  It's a stupid opinion to hold.  

PS we clearly need a new kicker.  McD showed no confidence in him all game. 

for 3rd and 4 they had just under a minute and a time out to get another 15 yards

pissed away 20+ seconds and then stupidly went long

that cannot continue if they are going to be serious over the next 3 years\

In my opinion, which often times is wrong, and why I don't have an NFL job. This team had the time to move the ball 10-20 yards closer to the goal posts which would make a FG easier but might also afford you the opportunity to go for the win before having to go for the tie.// What can it hurt ?

I despise the term Jauron ball, but as I was sitting there watching the last 5 minutes of the game, that was the term beating on my skull... We're playing Jauron ball, playing not to lose. That thinking usually leads to a loss. That needs to change, and now.

You had 2 downs , 1 minute and a time out with a beast of a running back,

to make 4 yards or more for the win (or tie with a shorter kick); or 1 down, 

a few seconds and no time outs with a kicker who earlier missed a 34 yard kick

and had not made a 50+ kick all year long  to make a 53 yard kick.

And wasn't our kicker injured a year or two ago, and not been real good since?

In the entire history of the Buffalo Bills this may have been the worst

decision or game management call by a coach ever.