McDermotts tie vs win mentality [edited title]

Just now, MJS said:

They ran a play and it was 4th down. You have to kick it there. Not sure why they let the clock run another 10 seconds, but they did try to get the 1st down.

wrong, letting the clock run down shows they weren't even playing for the first down. You also don't have to kick it there especially if you don't waste time and timeouts.

9 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Sorry but Beane gave us our top two underwhelming draft picks, Star, re-upped a kicker after his worst year, inserts a random hasbeen Panther annually, not doing anything to bolster our edge rushing, giving us a 35 year old primary back, etc. I like some of his moves but he should be in the hot seat w McD next year if they don’t start winning with the talent that he assembled. Many teams seem to rebuild faster than us. His cap excuse is gone so now the only excuse he has is his competency. 

Beane does what McD wants. See that’s the Problem when you hire the HC first instead of the GM having a say

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Coaching scared 101. Sean McDermott.

He does on defense too, back up soft zone prevent. Why did he let Cleveland score there? Bring pressure send everybody and the sink. 
He was too conservative when he coached in Philly. They ran him out of town. 

3 minutes ago, Chemical said:

wrong, letting the clock run down shows they weren't even playing for the first down. You also don't have to kick it there especially if you don't waste time and timeouts.

Once they hit the FG target line McConservative wanted to play for the FG. Clearly evident by the types of Routes Run. 

20 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

“Winning the right way” doesn’t mean crap if you’re coaching scared and afraid to stomp on your opponents throats. It leaves too many door open for the other team to make a comeback and get back in the game. I’m starting to lose some faith in McD.  The way he coached that last drive is inexcusable. We were moving the ball with plenty of time and had a TO and he played for the tie and worse, he though a 50+ yarder was close enough. What a joke. 

Completely agree!

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

No way. Your franchise QB who leads the league in fourth quarter winning drives is moving his team. Why not let him keep moving and kick an easier field goal. McDermott needs to learn to trust young guys. In particular his young QB. Starting to think McDermott might be the wrong coach for Josh. Sad, but Beane will be put in an awkward situation after 2020 if things don’t improve.

It was 4th down.  What did you see today that made you think they'd convert?  Before the TO, they sent the team out there to try and drawn them Offside.  I was screaming "what are you doing!!!! Kick it kick it!!!!"

Then they called TO and sent out the kicker.  

I can't believe people are saying we should have went for it in that position.  It's a stupid opinion to hold.  

PS we clearly need a new kicker.  McD showed no confidence in him all game. 

Just now, peterpan said:

It was 4th down.  What did you see today that made you think they'd convert?  Before the TO, they sent the team out there to try and drawn them Offside.  I was screaming "what are you doing!!!! Kick it kick it!!!!"

Then they called TO and sent out the kicker.  

I can't believe people are saying we should have went for it in that position.  It's a stupid opinion to hold.  

PS we clearly need a new kicker.  McD showed no confidence in him all game. 

No one is saying they should have went for it. What they are questioning is the gutless three plays before that clearly settling in for a 50 yard attempt to tie. With a Kicker that already missed and easy one. 

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Beane does what McD wants. See that’s the Problem when you hire the HC first instead of the GM having a say

That is a problem; Beane and McD are peers.  It's up to the Pegulas to fire either, and unfortunately they have no idea what they're looking at; either on the field or organizationally.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

That was sickening, absolute vomit-worthy. How do you just let 20+ seconds just wind off the clock there and go for the tie instead of TRYING TO WIN THE GAME???

What kind of coach is even thinking about only trying to force OT there with that much time on the clock and a timeout in your pocket??

If we’re being aggressive there and Josh throws a pick, I can live with that. I can live with putting the game in the hands of who we hope will be our franchise QB’s hands and living or dying. That last drive had a couple of the best throws he made all day. He wasn’t good at all, but if we’re not even going to attempt to give him the shot to win the game, what’s the point of any of this?

I will just never understand this mentality. It’s the same mentality McD has when he gives up free possessions at the end of a half with sufficient time and timeouts left on the board. 

This isn’t a true winning, killer instinct mentality, and that’s why when we’ve been hit with adversity from a couple of the good teams we have faced in the Pats and Eagles, we didn’t respond. 

McD is a play not to lose coach, not a play to win coach. It’s a huge problem. This can not permeate into the rest of the organization to be a perennial mediocre-to-solid team every year. I fear more than ever that this won’t be the guy to bring us over the top, but that people will be satisfied simply because it’s better than what we had before. 

This is probably the most important thing to discuss after today's game.

IMO, it was pretty clear that McDermott, Daboll, et al did not trust Josh Allen to go out and win the game for us.  They did not want him to floor the throttle and go for a win because when he floors the throttle, he tends to turn the ball over.

If this is correct--that they did not trust Allen to get it done and were deliberately going for a tie with a long FG--then you have to ask if they also are intending to go out and find a new QB for this team.

There are actually going to be a number of big name QBs possibly on the market next year.  

Will we try to get one of them for a year or 2 run?  

This wasn't a good look today for the entire team and McBeane's vision for the organization going forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

This was a horrible loss and continues the trend of inexplicably poor offensive production. The playcalling is abysmal and we have no identity from game to game. How do you explain not using your very productive young back more than 8-10 carries ? How do you keep having a TE (Smith ) playing who commits more penalties than times he has touched the ball? How do you explain a free agent TE ( Kroft) who is a ghost in the offense?  How do you keep an OC where the offense can’t score in the third quarter; keeps going to empty sets on critical downs when the line is not holding up; keeps placing the o in situations where they commit holding penalties that either stop drives or knock you out of or into poor fg position; keeps being so situationally unaware that you waste time on a final drive where you should be trying to win rather than go to OT, and the list could go on.    Unfortunately the d also has issues when we start games slowly, still struggle with the run , and they failed to generate any pressure on the game deciding drive allowing mayfield to drive them easily down the field for the winning score.   This really has the look of a “ bad” 6-3 team and it’s going to be hard to stop this season from falling apart. 

Looking  at the schedule, the fins look better offensively than when we last played them, , and who has faith in the stretch of games involving the Cowboys, Ravens ,Steelers , and Pats?  It hurts to think this but if they don’t make some drastic change with the O, I could easily envision this team only beating the Broncos and Jets on route to a very depressing 8-8 season. For all the good McD did with getting us to the playoffs in season one, he maybe seen as just another Bills coach who blew a good start unless he can get a handle on this offensive debacle. I hope I’m wrong about my outlook but today’s game proved its not only about the W-L record as many only chose to look at , but also how you played en route to that record and  what is the true identity of the team as you progress thru the season. This loss identifies us as a pretender with no unified offensive scheme and it will be interesting to see what direction McD chooses. Critical stretch for the franchise is upon us with no easy answers. Just a terrible loss today.imho. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

That was sickening, absolute vomit-worthy. How do you just let 20+ seconds just wind off the clock there and go for the tie instead of TRYING TO WIN THE GAME???

What kind of coach is even thinking about only trying to force OT there with that much time on the clock and a timeout in your pocket??

If we’re being aggressive there and Josh throws a pick, I can live with that. I can live with putting the game in the hands of who we hope will be our franchise QB’s hands and living or dying. That last drive had a couple of the best throws he made all day. He wasn’t good at all, but if we’re not even going to attempt to give him the shot to win the game, what’s the point of any of this?

I will just never understand this mentality. It’s the same mentality McD has when he gives up free possessions at the end of a half with sufficient time and timeouts left on the board. 

This isn’t a true winning, killer instinct mentality, and that’s why when we’ve been hit with adversity from a couple of the good teams we have faced in the Pats and Eagles, we didn’t respond. 

McD is a play not to lose coach, not a play to win coach. It’s a huge problem. This can not permeate into the rest of the organization to be a perennial mediocre-to-solid team every year. I fear more than ever that this won’t be the guy to bring us over the top, but that people will be satisfied simply because it’s better than what we had before. 

I completely agree. 

7 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

It was fourth and 4and this team hasnt developed the consistency to go for It on fourth down at the end of the game. Did you forget we went for it on 4rth down twice and failed?? What makes you think McDermott would be stupid enough to try it 3 times??

Quite honestly chasing touchdowns when you should be kicking FGs is not the smart way to win. If we make FGs and not turn it over on downs twice we win the game. Granted Hauschka choked too so McD was really in a tough spot and this team still needs more talent, at kicker Oline, WR, Dline and LB.