McDermotts tie vs win mentality [edited title]

1 hour ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

Thanks for saying something I didn't say. I agree with the choice to kick it. It was before that, after the Singletary catch. They let the clock run down instead of trying to push the ball down the field. Once they let the clock keep running, they put themselves in a situation were there was no choice. 

But was that on the coaching or on Allen for not moving faster. And in Allen's case simple lack of experience.

16 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

A little post game reaction for you all. I see a lot of people already come out and put this game on Josh Allen mostly because all credit and all blame tend to go to the QB no matter what

I actually see quite the opposite. I see FAR MORE posts blaming everyone BUT Allen. 

This was a team loss, but Allen is not playing well enough as an NFL QB. Period.

McConservative was just out coached by the worst Coach in the league. 

in a few weeks we will hear the It’s the NFL it’s hard to win (Dicky J catch phrase) followed by the Process ambiguity crap (McConservative catch Phrase)

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Don’t turn the ball over. Sit on leads. Don’t be aggressive offensively or have a sense of urgency because that risks turning the ball over. McDermott coaching 101.??

You had me until don't be aggressive offensively..umm we are too aggressive offensively...i think you meant defensively then i can agree..its a severe weakness of frazier

Edited by Billever76

1 hour ago, Bills Juggernaut said:

How you can play for a game tying 53 yard field goal when the offense is moving the ball well and at least not try to get close with one timeout in your pocket let alone try to actually win the game with a TD is mind boggling to most fans that have watched the Pats do it for the last 15 years.......

But not for old school McD. He is who he is and this year has proved it. Play not to loose. That's why every game has been close this year. That's why the 3rd Q's have been horrible on offense (we are keeping it close so let's not make a mistake, let's play keep it close in the 4th Q). That's his mentality in a nutshell. He will win games (and most of them will always be closer than they need to be), but you will have games like this all the time. That's what a play not to make a mistake and play not to loose coach will get you. 

I'm in the Allen not being good enough camp but I take your point about mcdermott at times. Is Allen great with a mcvay type coach? I don't know. With a record like 6-3 he isn't going anywhere though. 

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

First...I’m not your “bro”. Second...it’s not BS at all. McD is way too conservative. He’s on his third season of proof for that “opinion”. Keep being you...

The BS I was referring to was the TITLE that you edited.

A defensive minded coach NEEDS a good O coordinator.  Dabol was a horrible choice and has been an awful coordinator his entire career.

1 minute ago, Azucho98 said:

The BS I was referring to was the TITLE that you edited.

A defensive minded coach NEEDS a good O coordinator.  Dabol was a horrible choice and has been an awful coordinator his entire career.

I agree about Daboll. He was NEVER good as an OC and McD thinks he’s all of a sudden going to be good here?  What a joke. 

And I didn’t edit anything. 

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

That was sickening, absolute vomit-worthy. How do you just let 20+ seconds just wind off the clock there and go for the tie instead of TRYING TO WIN THE GAME???

What kind of coach is even thinking about only trying to force OT there with that much time on the clock and a timeout in your pocket??

If we’re being aggressive there and Josh throws a pick, I can live with that. I can live with putting the game in the hands of who we hope will be our franchise QB’s hands and living or dying. That last drive had a couple of the best throws he made all day. He wasn’t good at all, but if we’re not even going to attempt to give him the shot to win the game, what’s the point of any of this?

I will just never understand this mentality. It’s the same mentality McD has when he gives up free possessions at the end of a half with sufficient time and timeouts left on the board. 

This isn’t a true winning, killer instinct mentality, and that’s why when we’ve been hit with adversity from a couple of the good teams we have faced in the Pats and Eagles, we didn’t respond. 

McD is a play not to lose coach, not a play to win coach. It’s a huge problem. This can not permeate into the rest of the organization to be a perennial mediocre-to-solid team every year. I fear more than ever that this won’t be the guy to bring us over the top, but that people will be satisfied simply because it’s better than what we had before. 

All good and accurate points. He's way too conservative. He takes way too long deciding to release a player or coach. They had plenty of time to get closer or God forbid try to score a td. He's not taking this team to the next level. He is good at building a team bond (process, culture,  whatever) but nothing else. In other words he's just a really good DC.....

8 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I actually see quite the opposite. I see FAR MORE posts blaming everyone BUT Allen. 

This was a team loss, but Allen is not playing well enough as an NFL QB. Period.

Well Allen needs to improve but our offensive line is still terrible---can't run the ball in crucial situations, stupid holding calls & the worst thing is that Allen is hurried on 98% of his pass attempts----how's he supposed to improve under these conditions.

I am absolutely disgusted with what’s going on.  This is not a very good team, however I believe the Bills coaches are failing this team. McD is gutless, and Daboll is a moron. My fear is that they lose more winnable games, and the ‘process’ proves to be a gimmick where players want out of a losing culture.  This starts with coaching. 

Yes, we are 6-3 because of an easy schedule.  That said, if they ever want to be taken seriously, you have to beat a viable team, and you have to play to win. The second half of this season will show us where we truly are in the ‘process.’

Daboll’s calls and game plans are inexcusable. The guy should be drilled with questions and forced to explain himself.  Sickening.

5 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

I am absolutely disgusted with what’s going on.  This is not a very good team, however I believe the Bills coaches are failing this team. McD is gutless, and Daboll is a moron. My fear is that they lose more winnable games, and the ‘process’ proves to be a gimmick where players want out of a losing culture.  This starts with coaching. 

Yes, we are 6-3 because of an easy schedule.  That said, if they ever want to be taken seriously, you have to beat a viable team, and you have to play to win. The second half of this season will show us where we truly are in the ‘process.’

Daboll’s calls and game plans are inexcusable. The guy should be drilled with questions and forced to explain himself.  Sickening.

Well said. I agree. 

“Winning the right way” doesn’t mean crap if you’re coaching scared and afraid to stomp on your opponents throats. It leaves too many door open for the other team to make a comeback and get back in the game. I’m starting to lose some faith in McD.  The way he coached that last drive is inexcusable. We were moving the ball with plenty of time and had a TO and he played for the tie and worse, he though a 50+ yarder was close enough. What a joke. 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think the process blows and will be up in flames if this team finishes 8-8 or worse. McDermott and his coaching scared philosophy won’t last.

The “Process” whatever that actually means. Is Stale and is now a way to hide problems. By claiming process (ambiguous and not defined) opens for no criticism 

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

No way. Your franchise QB who leads the league in fourth quarter winning drives is moving his team. Why not let him keep moving and kick an easier field goal. McDermott needs to learn to trust young guys. In particular his young QB. Starting to think McDermott might be the wrong coach for Josh. Sad, but Beane will be put in an awkward situation after 2020 if things don’t improve.

Sorry but Beane gave us our top two underwhelming draft picks, Star, re-upped a kicker after his worst year, inserts a random hasbeen Panther annually, not doing anything to bolster our edge rushing, giving us a 35 year old primary back, etc. I like some of his moves but he should be in the hot seat w McD next year if they don’t start winning with the talent that he assembled. Many teams seem to rebuild faster than us. His cap excuse is gone so now the only excuse he has is his competency. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

The “Process” whatever that actually means. Is Stale and is now a way to hide problems. By claiming process (ambiguous and not defined) opens for no criticism 

wtf is that avatar?