McDermotts tie vs win mentality [edited title]

12 minutes ago, McBean said:

McDermott showed me who he was 2 years ago, when he elected to punt in the snow game against Indy. If it wasn’t for a miracle, he would’ve been happy with a tie.

Yep, I've been off the McDermott wagon since that moment. He had some red flags before that too. Obviously since then he has shown it again and again and again.

20 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Right call. Wrong kicker.

No way. Your franchise QB who leads the league in fourth quarter winning drives is moving his team. Why not let him keep moving and kick an easier field goal. McDermott needs to learn to trust young guys. In particular his young QB. Starting to think McDermott might be the wrong coach for Josh. Sad, but Beane will be put in an awkward situation after 2020 if things don’t improve.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

No way. Your franchise QB who leads the league in fourth quarter winning drives is moving his team. Why not let him keep moving and kick an easier field goal. McDermott needs to learn to trust young guys. In particular his young QB. Starting to think McDermott might be the wrong coach for Josh. Sad, but Beane will be put in an awkward situation after 2020 if things don’t improve.

McDermott might be just another good DC who might not be a solid HC

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

1000000000% disagree. 4th and 4 with a 52 yard field goal in favorable conditions with 20 seconds left to tie the game, you need a kicker who will nail it more times than not. You can argue all day that with our kicker being 0 for this season from 50+ that it was a bad call and I would even agree with that but thats why I said it was thr right call but with the wrong kicker which overall makes it a BAD CALL cause you need to understand who your kicker is. And again if you cant trust your kicker in that situation then he needs to be replaced.

A little post game reaction for you all. I see a lot of people already come out and put this game on Josh Allen mostly because all credit and all blame tend to go to the QB no matter what but  bills fans  I don’t think are looking completely in the right direction. It doesn’t mean Allen was perfect he missed that deep ball, and one other very makeable throw as I recall it. But the real problem is how easy it is to single out those plays, Every QB in every game misses throws, The difference, other QBs are granted opportunities to make up for that.

Sean McDermott actively coaches to not lose games as opposed to winning them, Routinely getting conservative with any lead whatsoever, or even a score down in turn disrupting offensive rhythm. Down 19-16, in the final minutes is actually where Sean McDermott wants to be he wants games to hinge on 1 or 2 plays, And will take the safest route to get there. Take the final drive after moving the ball affectively to the 35, without a huddle, They huddle on offense and stop trying to move the ball because they figured they were close enough with a minute left.  OT hinged on one play just like McDermott wanted it, and this time we didn’t get the bounce. Some fans will say we are a QB away from contention I say we need a coach who actively gives a QB the same chances others get. It’s just weird having Dick Jauron again

Edited by cgg716
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, StHustle said:

1000000000% disagree. 4th and 4 with a 52 yard field goal in favorable conditions with 20 seconds left to tie the game, you need a kicker who will nail it more times than not. You can argue all day that with our kicker being 0 for this season from 50+ that it was a bad call and I would even agree with that but thats why I said it was thr right call but with the wrong kicker which overall makes it a BAD CALL cause you need to understand who your kicker is. And again if you cant trust your kicker in that situation then he needs to be replaced.

It was 4th and 4 with 20 seconds because they huddled and played for the FG. Terrible call by either Daboll and/or McDermott. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Starting to lose confidence in McD and Josh. Huddling with 40 seconds left was an embarrassment. 

Pegula made a mistake handing the keys over to McDermott, and McDermott in turn made a mistake insisting on a "big hands /Buffalo weather" QB when he could have selected Mahomes, Watson or Jackson. Now as Bills fans we will suffer the consequences of those errant decisions for at least another 1.5 seasons.

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

It was 4th and 4 with 20 seconds because they huddled and played for the FG. Terrible call by either Daboll and/or McDermott. 

the idiot HC had a timeout left.Or wasn't he aware?

Absolutley zero urgency in attempting too win an NFL game.

Bush league coaching. That describes the final,drive. imo

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

That was sickening, absolute vomit-worthy. How do you just let 20+ seconds just wind off the clock there and go for the tie instead of TRYING TO WIN THE GAME???

What kind of coach is even thinking about only trying to force OT there with that much time on the clock and a timeout in your pocket??

If we’re being aggressive there and Josh throws a pick, I can live with that. I can live with putting the game in the hands of who we hope will be our franchise QB’s hands and living or dying. That last drive had a couple of the best throws he made all day. He wasn’t good at all, but if we’re not even going to attempt to give him the shot to win the game, what’s the point of any of this?

I will just never understand this mentality. It’s the same mentality McD has when he gives up free possessions at the end of a half with sufficient time and timeouts left on the board. 

This isn’t a true winning, killer instinct mentality, and that’s why when we’ve been hit with adversity from a couple of the good teams we have faced in the Pats and Eagles, we didn’t respond. 

McD is a play not to lose coach, not a play to win coach. It’s a huge problem. This can not permeate into the rest of the organization to be a perennial mediocre-to-solid team every year. I fear more than ever that this won’t be the guy to bring us over the top, but that people will be satisfied simply because it’s better than what we had before. 

Thats why mcd and frazier go hand and hand..both play very very safe and it is starting to be our weakness....as far as dabol he is entirely on the other end of the spectrum and is gun happy and thinks we have the greatest show on turf 2.0 lol...maybe the coaching isnt as good as advertised in all facets of the game?...????

I agree completely. McD and Daboll took the ball out of Allen’s hands once they got their last first down. He was on the good side of the 50 in less than a minute and getting chunk plays. Then our amazing OC started getting conservative. It’s infuriating. He needs to go. I just can’t take any more of him. 

And I agree about McD. As much as I don’t want to admit it. He’s a great motivator, but doesn’t have a killer instinct as a coach. I’m sure he was overjoyed when he got the lead and his precious defense had a chance to put it away. Then they lost the lead and he was playing for OT. The problem was that our qb was moving the ball and was in a spot to win it. McD then panicked and kept to his strategy of playing for OT. He just can’t adjust to certain situations. It’s becoming an issue. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Xwnyer said:

sure look like singletary got out of bounds but than Huddling after that was a disaster get up to line and run quick plays.  Dabol play calling has me scratching my head

Singletary did not get out of bounds. He was tackled inbounds and slid out.

The Bills should have called time out after that, but they chose to let the clock run.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Pegula made a mistake handing the keys over to McDermott, and McDermott in turn made a mistake insisting on a "big hands /Buffalo weather" QB when he could have selected Mahomes, Watson or Jackson. Now as Bills fans we will suffer the consequences of those errant decisions for at least another 1.5 seasons.

i think we need a different offensive coordinator first before we burn the whole thing down lol..maybe even a defensive coordinator too as the bend but don't break and the side of the ball we hang our hats on got embarrassed and marched right down the field on...and its not the players who let it happen it was the defensive play-calling and playing way to soft on the back end...bring them lb'ers and safeties up a bit more than 20 yards off the los wtf..at least on the last drive i mean its do or die!!...where is this teams killer instinct?...this loss is on coaching in every facet imo

Edited by Billever76