Bills at Browns Post Game Post Mortem

1 minute ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

That's because their record is a mirage, they are playing pretty much the same.

It’s not a mirage.     It’s real, bleacher report and nfl.com both show it 

Get yourself a snickers bar.   Maybe get one for twist as well.   

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Did you say they can’t beat a winning team?  Yes.

Did you then say they’ve done so 3 times under his tenure?  Yes.

Which statement is true and which is BS?  Or are both BS?

For me, they have things to work on.  But in the NFL wins are wins.

Do you not understand how to discuss football? The vast majority of the time McDermott has faced a "good team", he has lost. Do you nitpick this much when discussing football in public?

15 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

I could honestly see us losing out the rest of the season and finishing 6-10. This coaching staff is not capable of putting together a winning NFL offense. This defense is good enough to keep it close, but not good enough to win on its own. I feel like Josh Allen could be putting up Lamar Jackson type numbers with different coaches. If the team does not make the playoffs, I would hope that we see a coaching change. 

losing out would be the only scenario where I could actually see McDermott getting fired at the end of the season.  It ain’t happening, though.

44 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

300 yards, multiple TDs, and a loss that shows GROWTH.  Apparently, reading comprehension is not your strong point. 

I cry about barely breaking 50% completion against a terrible defense.

"The ceiling for this team is limited as long as Josh Allen is the starting quarterback. While he's effective with his feet, his passing should probably make Bills fans wistful for the halcyon days of Tyrod Taylor under center. 

Allen consistently misses open targets, tries to use his arm to fit the ball into impossible windows and nearly cost the Bills the game with a fumble deep inside the red zone in the fourth quarter. Only Jon Feliciano's quick hands saved Allen from a potentially game-losing turnover.

John Brown and Cole Beasley are a solid (albeit unspectacular) one-two punch at the receiver spot, and Devin Singletary has helped give life to the running game."

Tyler Conway, Bleacher Report.

First off this obsession with 300 yard passing games is nuts IMO.  QB's not getting anywhere close to 300 yards won 9 games today.  While QB's throwing for over 300 yards lost 4 games.  Only 1 of the QB's who threw for over 300 yards won their game. 

The quote from Bleacher Report is absurd.  Did the guy watch the game?  How many open targets did Allen miss today?  I count 2 - Brown on the 4th down and McKenzie on the long pass.  BTW, did anyone else think McKenzie looked like he was running in sand and actually slowed down on that play?  So on 41 attempted passes he missed 2 open guys - not bad. 

Allen hooked up nicely with Beasley & Brown multiple times but like Bleacher Report notes neither of these guys are spectacular - which is part of the Bill's offensive problem.  We don't have a single reliable game breaker.  After watching OBJ & Landry can there be any doubt of this?

As for Singletery what is Bleacher Report talking about?  He only got 8 carries so how the hell is Allen supposed to benefit from the "life" he's giving to the running game?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Do you not understand how to discuss football? The vast majority of the time McDermott has faced a "good team", he has lost. Do you nitpick this much when discussing football in public?

I’m not the one who apparently can’t stand by what I say.  I readily admit there are things this team needs to work in.  I do not understand why Singletary did not get the ball more today.  I think that cost them the game.  

But let’s review again.  You said two things:  one was that McD can’t beat good teams, and then you said he’s done so three times.  I told you making declarative statements that can be proven false will make you look silly.  You don’t like looking silly, I guess.

They need to figure out some stuff and win the next two when favored and then beat the Boys or Steelers or both.  We all get that.  It’s not a secret.

This team got exposed today against a bad football team. We have a long way to go till the end of the season, and I'm skeptical about making the playoffs. 

Miami is playing much better, Denver is a 50 /50 chance and Pittsburgh just beat the rams. The rest of the teams are losses. Not looking good the wheels are starting to come off. 

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m not the one who apparently can’t stand by what I say.  I readily admit there are things this team needs to work in.  I do not understand why Singletary did not get the ball more today.  I think that cost them the game.  

But let’s review again.  You said two things:  one was that McD can’t beat good teams, and then you said he’s done so three times.  I told you making declarative statements that can be proven false will make you look silly.  You don’t like looking silly, I guess.

They need to figure out some stuff and win the next two when favored and then beat the Boys or Steelers or both.  We all get that.  It’s not a secret.

Do you read the Bible? I think you take things too literally. 

The season is not lost, however I feel I know what McDermott is, and to a lesser extent what Allen is.  IMO this team will never compete for a championship with McDermott as coach. I'm not even sure he will win an important regular season game let alone a playoff game. He's just too easy to out-coach.

1 minute ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Do you read the Bible? I think you take things too literally. 

The season is not lost, however I feel I know what McDermott is, and to a lesser extent what Allen is.  IMO this team will never compete for a championship with McDermott as coach. I'm not even sure he will win an important regular season game let alone a playoff game. He's just too easy to out-coach.

When people make statements I believe they mean what they say.  Apparently you don’t mean what you say.  That’s nice to know; it will help readers here place your declarations into appropriate context.

McD is the coach and will be for a while.  Which is not to say there isn’t room for improvement and growth.

12 minutes ago, Halasjonny said:

McDermott is a great coach.

Josh Allen had a good game. 

Defense is great at pass defense but is physically soft! 
Mafia = whole lotta idiots

I think this is fair.  While Allen and the offense were off at times their biggest problem was that they again missed out on 2 or 3 possessions because the D couldn't get the Browns off the field.

While everyone is raving about the great goal line stand, and it was impressive, the Browns had two long drives that devoured a big chunk of the 1st half.  And while those two drives only yielded 3 points you can't ignore that they kept the O off the field, robbed us of at least 2 extra first half possessions and made it more difficult for an already shaky O to get into a rhythm.

And again the D did not force a turnover.  That dropped INT cost the Bills about 35 yards in field position.  We know the O is weak and that this team depends on the D.  But that goes beyond holding the other team to 19 points and then crying because the O couldn't score 20 points.  It also means forcing TO's and putting our O in position to score points.  After 9 games we have only forced TWO TO's in opponents territory and only ONE TO in the opponents red zone.  This offense needs all the help it can get.  Given that the payroll & talent are concentrated on the D this is a reasonable expectation. 

And finally, given how this team is structured to have a strong D, I don't care how anemic the O has been or how many FG's we miss when we have a 4 point lead with less then 6 minutes left in the game and the opponent is on their own 18 yard line WE SHOULD WIN THE DAMN GAME. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

#2.  I completely disagree.  Josh Allen (if he is ever going to be a weapon) has to win using his big arm.

There needs to come a time when Daboll and McDermott own this and game plan that he is going to beat a team with the long ball.

Rotating Brown and Foster deep needs to happen and Josh needs to be "forced" to start connecting.

Josh has to make a play for the "hot girl" and stop trying to kiss his cousin.

How about stop trying to throw the long ball on third down and three. Prove to me he can make it some other time before launching these deep routes when we need to stay on the field.  He misses a guy open by 10 yards by another 10 yards. Pathetic. At this point just stay on the field and make first downs. Take the offseason to learn how to throw long again. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

When people make statements I believe they mean what they say.  Apparently you don’t mean what you say.  That’s nice to know; it will help readers here place your declarations into appropriate context.

McD is the coach and will be for a while.  Which is not to say there isn’t room for improvement and growth.

He's not changing his coaching style or talent evaluation (culture over talent). I'm not sure small incremental improvement is going to accomplish anything meaningful.

Just now, Seven-N-Nine said:

He's not changing his coaching style or talent evaluation (culture over talent). I'm not sure small incremental improvement is going to accomplish anything meaningful.

Another declarative statement I see.  That’s nice.

McD should sit down with Daboll tonight and make sure Singletary gets 20 touches a game minimum.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

2 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Josh Allen looked deflated in his presser  I thought it was interesting when they asked him about the struggles with the deep ball. I worry they have him obsessing about not throwing picks  Lets hope things pick up for next week

He did look deflated. He had more of an attitude earlier in the season, last season against the vikings. 

Edited by london_bills