Bills at Browns Post Game Post Mortem

Just now, Livinginthepast said:

Mayfield and Allen were close in stats but Mayfield made the throws that mattered on the Browns last drive and Allen couldn't do the same.

Allen moved the team down the field to a position where we could at least tie. What else do you have to disprove that?

24 minutes ago, Agent 91 said:

Is Dorsey qualified? What's his body of work

He played QB at the NFL for a half dozen years, won a National Championship at Miami, has been a coach in the NFL for about 8 years now.... from a players perspective I’m sure he understands down and distance and can use his weapons to the best of their ability....

32 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

run defense gave up a 150 so long way to go 

Truth.

The consistency is not there, but note that the Browns went to the air vs Wallace rather than face our run D on their game-winning drive.

Our defense has a bad habit of getting gashed in the first half of games and finally tightening things up in the 2nd.

Those adjustments need to happen faster.

Edited by WideNine

3 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Um, not to be pedantic or anything but Josh made the throws that matter not 4 minutes prior to that to give his team the lead. So, this analysis is really kind of lacking.

Who cares? Josh didn't make plays on the winning drive to get them closer than the 36!! 3 incompletions on the last drive and the 3rd down was killer. You want to win a game that's huge for your team? then do it, no excuses. Just not good enough. 

30 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think I have run my course with Debol.....he doesnt adjust to what Allen is doing well TODAY......which is his short and intermediate game

Yes. Absolutely. Daboll is infuriating.

When the Bills NEED to move down the field, Allen has been able to do it. End of the half down by 2 he got the team into very easy FG range.

Hauschka missed.

End of the game with less than 2 minutes at their own 25 and 1 timeout Allen moves the team into FG range for the tie. But it's long FG range and stupid coaching takes over. First with the huddling up to waste time. Then icing our own kicker.

Coaching is this team's problem. Ironically it's also the reason according to the national media we have the record we do.

Personally, I think out coaches just might be great in terms of preparation and terrible on Sundays. Daboll for sure and starting to feel that way about McDermott as well.

8 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

My observations of a perfectly putrid giveaway of a game we needed. 

1. We need a kicker
  2. Stop running deep routes, Josh can't hit the lake from the dock over 15 yards
  3. We need a DT to plug the middle and a DE who can actually set the edge
  4. Move Tremaine and get a downhill MLB that hits the right gaps
  5. Tacking practice time again
  6. Lee Smith is a penalty machine
  7. Josh Allen is a fumbling machine
  8. When you play the 30th ranked run D, run the damn ball
  9. When it's 3rd and 3, get the damn 3 yards and not try for a 30 yard bomb
  10. Time to look at the OC 
  11. Talent trumps culture
  12. Get a play maker on offense

#2.  I completely disagree.  Josh Allen (if he is ever going to be a weapon) has to win using his big arm.

There needs to come a time when Daboll and McDermott own this and game plan that he is going to beat a team with the long ball.

Rotating Brown and Foster deep needs to happen and Josh needs to be "forced" to start connecting.

Josh has to make a play for the "hot girl" and stop trying to kiss his cousin.

#6.  I said it a week ago Lee Smith needs to be made an example of and be "inactive" for a game due to penalties.

The rest of your points is just playing better as an NFL football team.

FWIW

2 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Mayfield is actually capable of throwing TD passes...

Whatever.

We get it. You don't like Allen.

There is NOTHING you can point to this year that shows Mayfield is better than Allen.

Whether Allen is or becomes good is tiresome enough from you, but to seriously try and explain why passing for TDs in this game is somehow worth more than running for them is ridiculous. And to say Mayfield can pass for TDs while Allen can't - have you looked at their season's stats?

At least use realistic and worthwhile arguments, please.

8 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Josh Allen:

22/41 266 0 0

and two rush TD.

Baker Mayfield:

26/38 238 2 0

On a different level, huh?

Mayfield has some receiving weapons too.

I do think Mayfield is more willing to throw 50/50 balls and Allen is being coached to protect the ball.

Allen does have to improve throwing guys open, and what I mean by that is that he should not be hitting Smoke in the ass on a drag route.

Unlike some, I have seen improvement, but the consistency needs to get better.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Allen moved the team down the field to a position where we could at least tie. What else do you have to disprove that?

Perhaps the fact that he didn't move them into position where the FG was a gimme even though he had opportunities to do it. Yes your FG kicker should have tied it. But you want to make a statement about your quality? Then don't leave it up to the kicker, win the damn game with your arm. 

Edited by Livinginthepast

4 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Who cares? Josh didn't make plays on the winning drive to get them closer than the 36!! 3 incompletions on the last drive and the 3rd down was killer. You want to win a game that's huge for your team? then do it, no excuses. Just not good enough. 

I guess the same could be said for the defense on the last drive - You want to win a game that's huge for your team? then do it, no excuses. Just not good enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

When do the excuses stop? Josh Allen has a problem with his long ball. Daboll literally gets WR open deep and Josh can’t hit them. Yes it’s a low percentage play but he hasn’t hit 1 this season.

It's obvious he's had a problem with the long balls.  Most often he overthrows, seem like he feels he has to really heave it - but his arm is so strong he overthrows.  Frankly, I don't know if that ever gets better BUT, given that's the case, and he's hitting pretty good on shorter to intermediate - WHY did we keep calling those drive ending long balls?  It frustrated the hell out of me.  Any one of those that didn't kill the drive might have ended up in a score.  The OC needs to understand his QB's strengths.  Despite the cannon arm, the long ball is not one of Allen's.   Dabolls refusal to acknowledge that hurt us.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Allen made good passes?   He was terrible 90% of the game. 

The denial on this board is amazing. 

Daniel Jones, rookie, 65% completion, 308 yards, 4tds,  0 ints. 

Josh Allen is the main reason we lost today.  

Some Bills fans just never "get it" in the moment, it's only years later can they recognize a player or coach just wasn't good. Allen has a lot of weaknesses, and his career will likely be much shorter than Mayfield's.

Edited by Seven-N-Nine
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TwistofFate said:

Those shots were there. 

I've seen you and a few others mentioning multiple deep shots Allen missed today. I only remember the one to McKenzie. What am I forgetting? The deep pass to Beasley was dead on arrival, he was blanketed by two defenders. I don't remember any other deep shots.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

It's obvious he's had a problem with the long balls.  Most often he overthrows, seem like he feels he has to really heave it - but his arm is so strong he overthrows.  Frankly, I don't know if that ever gets better BUT, given that's the case, and he's hitting pretty good on shorter to intermediate - WHY did we keep calling those drive ending long balls?  It frustrated the hell out of me.  Any one of those that didn't kill the drive might have ended up in a score.  The OC needs to understand his QB's strengths.  Despite the cannon arm, the long ball is not one of Allen's.   Dabolls refusal to acknowledge that hurt us.

I will repeat myself.  It's time to let it fly.

#2.  I completely disagree.  Josh Allen (if he is ever going to be a weapon) has to win using his big arm.

There needs to come a time when Daboll and McDermott own this and game plan that he is going to beat a team with the long ball.

Rotating Brown and Foster deep needs to happen and Josh needs to be "forced" to start connecting.

Josh has to make a play for the "hot girl" and stop trying to kiss his cousin.