Bills at Browns Post Game Post Mortem

It was a frustrating game but not the end of the world. The Bills need to win the next two games (a loss at Miami or home for Denver in my mind means the team does not make the playoffs most likely) or it is doom and gloom. But a super close away loss to a talented but under achieving Browns team doesn't mean the season is over and Josh is JP Losman 2.0. 

1- The defense was looking like it was going to have an Eagles type game but that goal line stand was tremendous and revitalized them. They did end up giving up the final drive but if your defense gives up 19 points you still should be able to win. 

2- The offense was frustrating, Josh made some good throws, made some bad throws, but his poor execution on critical plays cost them the game. 

3- Bojo had his best game, one great punt and all his other punts were quality plays. Really impressed by him, hopefully he keeps that up, still nervous about him overall. 

4- Haush is a huge concern, I get that a 50+ yarder isn't a gimme but his kicking from 50+ hasn't been there all season. I just really question if he is a good kicker anymore. He was so awesome in 2017 but in 2018 he was fairly average and not that great again in 2019. 

5- The pass rush is still a concern, the Bills got two sacks from their linebackers but the front 4 was once again not consistent. 

Overall it was just a frustrating game that the Bills couldn't close out on defense or get it together on offense. but the Browns are not a bad team they will finish with 7-8 wins maybe even 9 wins. The Bills still have two very winnable games coming up. Keep Calm. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/10/2019 at 11:50 PM, CincyBillsFan said:

And after Minnesota's 28 - 24 victory over Dallas we can add another QB who threw for well under 300 yards winning a game against a QB who just missed hitting 400 yards!

That brings the total today to 10 games won by QB's who did not hit 300 yards passing with only 1 of the QB's who passed 300 yards winning their game.

And we close out the week with the eleventh game won by a QB who didn't get anywhere near 300 yards and had FIVE quarters to do it in. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

And we close out the week with the eleventh game won by a QB who didn't get anywhere near 300 yards and had FIVE quarters to do it in. 

We all love big passing days, but it's crazy to me how many stat-hounds here can't seem to fathom the goal of the game is to get the ball across the opponents goal line or through their uprights.  I mean this is football 101.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

We all love big passing days, but it's crazy to me how many stat-hounds here can't seem to fathom the goal of the game is to get the ball across the opponents goal line or through their uprights.  I mean this is football 101.  

I don't need big passing days to show me that a QB isn't good. I'm sorry but to win in this league you have to be able to score with big yardage plays. So far Allen and the offense have yet to show me they can. You aren't going to score much if you need 10 play drives to get down the field.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:18 PM, Koko78 said:

Stupid playcalling.

How many times has Daboll called a bomb on 3rd and 4th and short this season?

Unfortunately, unless you were on the field or the sideline, you don’t know if it was the play call, an option on the play called, Josh audibling or just winging it.

21 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Unfortunately, unless you were on the field or the sideline, you don’t know if it was the play call, an option on the play called, Josh audibling or just winging it.

That’s never this gang from shredding every Bill involved with it.

54 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Watching Clowney and Gordon contribute to the Hawks’ win last night was frustrating.  I’ll leave it at that for now.

Yup.  It's the mindset that this team didn't need help at those positions when they could have made a run at those players, but then blaming the lack of QB pressure and more playmakers for the losses.  Can't have it both ways.

Just now, GG said:

Yup.  It's the mindset that this team didn't need help at those positions when they could have made a run at those players, but then blaming the lack of QB pressure and more playmakers for the losses.  Can't have it both ways.

But they need to save those picks

Good teams only draft players, they don't waste draft picks getting established players. The will just go into the draft next year and get a younger Clowney and Gordon.....

8 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

They overvalue the 300 yard passing game because they're trying to win Fantasy Football games and it's easy to mistake reality with fantasy as a football fan.  I do it every year as a Bills fan when I think that this might be the year we win a Super Bowl!

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

But they need to save those picks

Good teams only draft players, they don't waste draft picks getting established players. The will just go into the draft next year and get a younger Clowney and Gordon.....

The shine is certainly losing its luster.  Beane & McDermott like to stockpile late round picks, even though only 1 out of their 11 picks in Rds 5+ has panned out.  Beane is at 0 so far.

18 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Probably so.  And I certainly prefer taking chances to the “Gallipoli Offense” strategy of repeatedly slamming a running back into a wall with little hope of success.  Allen needs to bail out his OC by hitting one or two of these chances...

We do know that there is some middle ground between slamming an RB into a wall and taking deep shots?

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I actually agree with this.... I also didn’t think Josh had as bad a game as everyone here seems to think. He made some pretty terrific throws and the same bad overthrows going deep. 

However, I don’t consider any game an “easy game”. They can easily lose Sunday to the Dolphins. I actually think the chances are high they do lose..... and I absolutely hate McDermotts overall philosophy of playing scared. They aren’t going anywhere until that changes or he’ll be gone sooner rather then later.

Agree 100%.  Watching a replay of the highlights and you can see Allen making some terrific throws for chunk yardage.  And let's not forget that his first deep ball was on target and drew a 40 yard pass interference penalty.

6 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

I don't need big passing days to show me that a QB isn't good. I'm sorry but to win in this league you have to be able to score with big yardage plays. So far Allen and the offense have yet to show me they can. You aren't going to score much if you need 10 play drives to get down the field.

3 of the Browns 4 scores against us took place after 13, 10, and 10 play drives.

We scored 4x against the Redskins for 24 points on 8, 12, 11, and 8 play drives

Without scores from 9 and 14 play drives, Eagles win is a 1-score game

I think those scores all count.

Can quick strike drives be devastating and run up the score, sure, but people get fixated on them.  I'm concerned that the Bills offense is getting a little too focused on trying to force big chunk plays instead of taking what we can get, moving the chains cutting down the miscues, and trusting the big hits will come.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Watching Clowney and Gordon contribute to the Hawks’ win last night was frustrating.  I’ll leave it at that for now.

Not trying to be a malcontent and so really just daydreaming but Gordon was money for nothing and it would also have been nice to have landed Sanders. Gordon, Sanders, Brown, Beasly, that's potentially a receiving corps that might have benefitted Allen and transformed the offence. Add in more balanced offensive game plans and improved play calls and we could well have been in a better place heading into the remaining schedule. I understand that it's never that simple. They (Gordon, Sanders) would have to absorb the playbook quickly (though as vets they might soon have been up to speed) and of course there could be a risk of an uneven transition in the clubhouse and on the field but the countervailing argument would be that you rarely get an opportunity in a playoff run to completely upgrade your talent on one side of the ball. And except for Brown and Beasly the WR group will probably wind up being completely overhauled anyway. So I guess the question is whether we are too conservative. Competitive teams seem to go out and recruit people aggressively.

Edited by starrymessenger

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

3 of the Browns 4 scores against us took place after 13, 10, and 10 play drives.

We scored 4x against the Redskins for 24 points on 8, 12, 11, and 8 play drives

Without scores from 9 and 14 play drives, Eagles win is a 1-score game

I think those scores all count.

Can quick strike drives be devastating and run up the score, sure, but people get fixated on them.  I'm concerned that the Bills offense is getting a little too focused on trying to force big chunk plays instead of taking what we can get, moving the chains cutting down the miscues, and trusting the big hits will come.

Thank you. Fans love the big plays but it's consistently moving that chains that win games. So sick the got to throw deep mentality.

3 hours ago, GG said:

The shine is certainly losing its luster.  Beane & McDermott like to stockpile late round picks, even though only 1 out of their 11 picks in Rds 5+ has panned out.  Beane is at 0 so far.

Agree. We continue to look for new rather than proven with both franchises.

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Thank you. Fans love the big plays but it's consistently moving that chains that win games. So sick the got to throw deep mentality.

What's interesting is the disconnect I think between what McDermott and Daboll hear and answer, vs what the fans hear.

McDermott and Daboll will hear a question about "chunk plays" and scoring more points, and they're thinking of it broadly.  A screen pass that breaks for 20-25 yds.  A run, ditto.  An intermediate 10-15 yd pass that breaks for 10 YAC.  These are all plays that if you get a couple of them, you score from standard starting field position.  Or yes, a 30 yd throw.

The fans hear the same question, and they think "we need Allen to hit on those >30 yard throws"

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

?

it was pretty funny, for all the wrong reasons though.

I think he jokingly called to over the hill and out of touch.

(hides while ducking )

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We do know that there is some middle ground between slamming an RB into a wall and taking deep shots?

you don't mean the intermediate pass game we all complained about last year with Allen. The screen passes we complained about not getting from Daboll.

That middle ground ?

On 11/11/2019 at 6:57 PM, 3rdand12 said:

I am aware it his second year and he has a ton on his plate. Plus a New Cast of characters surrounding him.
Just frustrating times for us fans.
gotta give our young QB and OC and players 3 years.
we just gotta

should we create a hot line. just in case...

: )

I'm ready for a short rope and a large cliff