Bills at Browns Post Game Post Mortem

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

300 yards just means you're playing football nowadays

It means you're in the game doing NFL QB things

If you never do it it's an indication that you are not consistently making plays

Or you don't have explosive play makers.  Or you haven't been in the circumstances that lead to 300 yard games - like falling way behind and piling up yardage against prevent defenses. 

Like I said there were 9 games won today with QB's throwing for well under 300 yards and only 1 game won by a QB throwing for more then 300 yards. 

11 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Even if he didn’t miss throws he missed easy reads. 
That’s the bigger concern for me. 

Did he?  I wouldn't know from watching the game on TV. 

I can see when he misses a wide open guy and I can see when a receiver drops the ball and I can see when Allen throws the ball at the feet of a RB so our crappy screen play doesn't get blown up or when he throws a ball into the stands to avoid a sack.  But how many times he misses his read - I can't tell.  I wait until those guys at the Athletic or 22 review go over the film and show me where Allen made the right or wrong read.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Or you don't have explosive play makers.  Or you haven't been in the circumstances that lead to 300 yard games - like falling way behind and piling up yardage against prevent defenses. 

Like I said there were 9 games won today with QB's throwing for well under 300 yards and only 1 game won by a QB throwing for more then 300 yards. 

I'm not too hung up on it but it's amazing how guys you've never heard of can walk in and do it but our guys almost never do

Our offense struggles to move the chains which makes 300 tough

I go back to the ridiculousness at the end.

If the Bills don’t fix that moving forward, this regime can forget about ever winning anything of significance.

Most games come down to the wire and if you don’t go for the win, you almost NEVER win.

You think Joe Montana and Bill Walsh wanted to settle for a tying FG in the SB against Cincinnati?

This is my biggest problem with today’s result. Teams lose games all the time. I get that. In general, I’m not that upset with today’s loss.

It’s not going for the win when it’s right there for the taking.............. is what should piss us all off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm not too hung up on it but it's amazing how guys you've never heard of can walk in and do it but our guys almost never do

If Allen got 300 through the air today and we still lost would you be satisfied?  Just curious why this arbitrary "300" yard threshold is the key...

10 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yep. Score 24 plus per game on average. Don’t need 330 yards passing to accomplish that. Dabolls scheme has no rhythm or reason too it. Just throwing plays out there. Should have methodically went down the field with a couple shots at the TD and at least a makeable FG try if they couldn’t connect. It felt like CLE had the advantage, where if the Bills D was up against that situation in the end I would think they’ve probably lost. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I agree it is odd.  But I also think it's by design.  McDermitt doesn't ever want to be in a position where he's so far behind a QB has the opportunity to pile up yardage against the prevent. 

Hell last week Gardner Minshew threw for 309 yards in a losing cause in which his team only scored 3 points!  In some ways that's more amazing then not hitting 300 yards.

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Who said it was the key?

I just care about wins

You do?  Oh cool.  Then we are on the same page. It just seemed as though stats were more important than wins. We are in sync.  All good.  Wins are all that matters.  Luckily the Bills are 6 and 3.  Which is great. I am sure you agree that is great as you are all about the wins.

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Agreed 100%...

I want the Bills to be a modern Offense...I want them to throw it plenty, so don't misunderstand this rant...But one of the things we were told about Daboll's system is that it would be match-up specific...There is literally no way anyone is going to convince me of that based on what I'm seeing...We went on the road against a woefully bad run Defense...A Run D allowing almost 5 yards per carry so far this year!!!...4.9 yards per rush!!! 141 rushing yards per game!!! And there is no question running the ball was NOT the gameplan...Period...It was NOT the gameplan...

Either Daboll and McD do not feel our O-Line is capable of running a physical Run 1st gameplan based on the match-up, or they're complete idiots...Especially vs the Browns because a pass heavy attack brings their 2 best players (Ward and Garrett) into the gameplan MUCH more...

This gameplan today, and the Offensive coaching today, was basically NFL football malpractice...They literally found a way to lose to an inferior team while only giving up 19 freaking points...They completely ignored going after Cleveland's greatest weakness, and instead attacked the area (pass Defense) where the Browns are ranked 6th best in the NFL...You want Dawkins on roller skates every down trying to block one of the best DE's in the game, or drive blocking him into the ground? Your choice...They were having trouble blocking Garrett on double teams at times in the passing game...What a joke...

Embarrassing...?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

You do?  Oh cool.  Then we are on the same page. It just seemed as though stats were more important than wins. We are in sync.  All good.  Wins are all that matters.  Luckily the Bills are 6 and 3.  Which is great. I am sure you agree that is great as you are all about the wins.

I'm happy they are 6-3 

I do worry that the offense can't put together more than a couple drives per game... I think that's where the 300 yard argument cones from

It's not a high threshold... Even today, which didn't feel like a great offensive game, one long pass would have given Josh 300 

The fact that we can't consistently move the ball is the problem.... 

6 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Agreed 100%...

I want the Bills to be a modern Offense...I want them to throw it plenty, so don't misunderstand this rant...But one of the things we were told about Daboll's system is that it would be match-up specific...There is literally no way anyone is going to convince me of that based on what I'm seeing...We went on the road against a woefully bad run Defense...A Run D allowing almost 5 yards per carry so far this year!!!...4.9 yards per rush!!! 141 rushing yards per game!!! And there is no question running the ball was NOT the gameplan...Period...It was NOT the gameplan...

Either Daboll and McD do not feel our O-Line is capable of running a physical Run 1st gameplan based on the match-up, or they're complete idiots...Especially vs the Browns because a pass heavy attack brings their 2 best players (Ward and Garrett) into the gameplan MUCH more...

This gameplan today, and the Offensive coaching today, was basically NFL football malpractice...They literally found a way to lose to an inferior team while only giving up 19 freaking points...They completely ignored going after Cleveland's greatest weakness, and instead attacked the area (pass Defense) where the Browns are ranked 6th best in the NFL...You want Dawkins on roller skates every down trying to block one of the best DE's in the game, or drive blocking him into the ground? Your choice...They were having trouble blocking Garrett on double teams at times in the passing game...What a joke...

Embarrassing...?

I think you bring up some uncomfortable truths about today's game. 

First off I don't think McD & Daboll are idiots but I do think Daboll over thinks & over complicates things.  For some reason he thought we could attack the Browns downfield but with a modern day Bruce Smith on the field and the QB NOT wearing a red jersey it's a dangerous assumption.

I also don't think Daboll has much confidence in our RB's.  He doesn't see Singleterry as a week in and week out 20 - 25 carry bruiser.  And Gore wouldn't last half the season if we tried to run him in that mode.  We simply don't have the backfield talent to do what at least half the NFL offenses can do when needed - pound the football.

8 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm happy they are 6-3 

I do worry that the offense can't put together more than a couple drives per game... I think that's where the 300 yard argument cones from

It's not a high threshold... Even today, which didn't feel like a great offensive game, one long pass would have given Josh 300 

I agree, 

There's really not much consistency in anything Buffalo does except play down to its opponent.

No identity...

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

And has anyone else noticed that Philly and Cleveland seem to be 2 of the more disarrayed teams in the league?  

In Philly players were fighting each other, Cleveland is a train wreck with a terrible HC, and what did both teams and their garbage cultures do?  Beat us with our great culture.

Hmmm.

So, they don't all love each other?

13 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm happy they are 6-3 

This is where the circumstances of the game come into play.  Say the Bills didn't have that goal line stand in the 1st half and the Browns score a TD.  Then late in the game Cleveland ices things with that last TD to go up 26 - 16.  Now on that last drive Allen, throwing against a prevent D, drives us down for a TD with 18 seconds left, getting that last 35 yards.  Bingo he just got his first 300 yard game!  And we lose 26 - 23. 

Since Allen has come back from his injury last year we just haven't had to many of those types of games.  Our games are usually close affairs. 

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

First off I don't think McD & Daboll are idiots but I do think Daboll over thinks & over complicates things.  For some reason he thought we could attack the Browns downfield but with a modern day Bruce Smith on the field and the QB NOT wearing a red jersey it's a dangerous assumption.

I also don't think Daboll has much confidence in our RB's.  He doesn't see Singleterry as a week in and week out 20 - 25 carry bruiser.  And Gore wouldn't last half the season if we tried to run him in that mode.  We simply don't have the backfield talent to do what at least half the NFL offenses can do when needed - pound the football.

Fair enough...That would certainly explain it...

But it still does not excuse the fact that we don't have the personnel to do exactly what we were told Daboll was going to do...IE work the gameplan on match-ups...Especially when finding good RB's is about as easy a position to fill as there is in the NFL...

But whatever...I'm getting more angry just thinking about it...Let's have our still very young inexperienced QB go out an fling it 40 times on the road against one of the worst Run Defenses in the NFL...

All that being said if Josh hits one...ONE deep pass we are probably not having this conversation...

Ugh...?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Daboll has been doing this all year  He's another I'm smarter than everyone else guy. 

53 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Allen threw 19 incompletions - NINETEEN! - and you’re trying to claim that he only missed on two of them.

That is a disturbing case of fanboyitis.

So Wayne.

I hear your complaints, what solutions do you propose?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wvbillsfan said:

John Brown breaking down the 3rd & 4 play courtesy of Sounds like this was a Cover 0 sight adjustment. "I got tapped into a go ball" Tight/nasty alignment by WR so he has green horizontally & vertically. If he can't get past him, the throw will be to his backshouolder.

0:20
10.6K views

Embedded video

I got the fact that he checked Brown to a go based on the cover 0 look. Clearly that’s been coached into him. But if you know it’s cover 0 why is Brown the read and not Beasley. I don’t understand what he could possibly be thinking looking at that off coverage 

Maybe he thinks they will drop into a zone but at least peek left and if the drop into a zone throw it deep. Game on the line we basically audible to a go and throw at their best corner. That’s just not smart football from Allen. 

If this is what happened that it means they did try to win the game and not settle for the FG.  You can call it a bad decision by Allen but you could also say it was an aggressive attempt to end the game in regulation.  On the road and with an inferior kicker, we were at a disadvantage in OT.