Bills at Browns Post Game Post Mortem

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Another declarative statement I see.  That’s nice.

McD should sit down with Daboll tonight and make sure Singletary gets 20 touches a game minimum.

Yes, I'm declaring McDermott is very unlikely to change his talent evaluation process and game managment style significantly enough to make an impact. He will most likely be fired as the Bills coach never having changed much at all, still believing his way is the right way.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Another declarative statement I see.  That’s nice.

McD should sit down with Daboll tonight and make sure Singletary gets 20 touches a game minimum.

Exactly right.  Hell on one play they pitched the damn ball to Gore on a sweep.  What the hell is that?  It's like putting in a tackle eligible player and calling his number on a deep throw.  It makes no sense.

My problem with today is I couldn't for the life of me figure out  what Daboll was trying to do offensively.  Now to be fair part of this was due to a D which allowed Cleveland to many long drives and couldn't get off the field.  There were some LONG stretches in the 1st half between possessions for our offense.  It's hard to get into any kind of rhythm under these circumstances.  But 41 attempted passes and less then 15 called running plays seemed unbalanced in a close, one score game. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Seven-N-Nine said:

Yes, I'm declaring McDermott is very unlikely to change his talent evaluation process and game managment style significantly enough to make an impact. He will most likely be fired as the Bills coach never having changed much at all, still believing his way is the right way.

That’s nice

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Exactly right.  Hell on one play they pitched the damn ball to Gore on a sweep.  What the hell is that?  It's like putting in a tackle eligible player and calling his number on a deep throw.  It makes no sense.

My problem with today is I couldn't for the life of me figure out  what Daboll was trying to do offensively.  Now to be fair part of this was due to a D which allowed Cleveland to many long drives and couldn't get off the field.  There were some LONG stretches in the 1st half between possessions for our offense.  It's hard to get into any kind of rhythm under these circumstances.  But 41 attempted passes and less then 15 called running plays seemed unbalanced in a close, one score game. 

Especially against a poor run defense.

29 minutes ago, Chill said:

Does Sean survive his 3rd O Coordinator??

No way.

25 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

First off this obsession with 300 yard passing games is nuts IMO.  QB's not getting anywhere close to 300 yards won 9 games today.  While QB's throwing for over 300 yards lost 4 games.  Only 1 of the QB's who threw for over 300 yards won their game. 

The quote from Bleacher Report is absurd.  Did the guy watch the game?  How many open targets did Allen miss today?  I count 2 - Brown on the 4th down and McKenzie on the long pass.  BTW, did anyone else think McKenzie looked like he was running in sand and actually slowed down on that play?  So on 41 attempted passes he missed 2 open guys - not bad. 

Allen hooked up nicely with Beasley & Brown multiple times but like Bleacher Report notes neither of these guys are spectacular - which is part of the Bill's offensive problem.  We don't have a single reliable game breaker.  After watching OBJ & Landry can there be any doubt of this?

As for Singletery what is Bleacher Report talking about?  He only got 8 carries so how the hell is Allen supposed to benefit from the "life" he's giving to the running game?

Stop. Making. Lame. Excuses. For. Josh. Allen’s. Shittiness.

35 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

First off this obsession with 300 yard passing games is nuts IMO.  QB's not getting anywhere close to 300 yards won 9 games today.  While QB's throwing for over 300 yards lost 4 games.  Only 1 of the QB's who threw for over 300 yards won their game. 

The quote from Bleacher Report is absurd.  Did the guy watch the game?  How many open targets did Allen miss today?  I count 2 - Brown on the 4th down and McKenzie on the long pass.  BTW, did anyone else think McKenzie looked like he was running in sand and actually slowed down on that play?  So on 41 attempted passes he missed 2 open guys - not bad. 

Allen hooked up nicely with Beasley & Brown multiple times but like Bleacher Report notes neither of these guys are spectacular - which is part of the Bill's offensive problem.  We don't have a single reliable game breaker.  After watching OBJ & Landry can there be any doubt of this?

As for Singletery what is Bleacher Report talking about?  He only got 8 carries so how the hell is Allen supposed to benefit from the "life" he's giving to the running game?

There were good throws from Allen but only momentary things. I never got the sense that he is a QB is control of this team and offence and that he could lead them to win this game. I was hopeful on the last drive but that wasn't to be either. I actually thought he had very little presence today, aswell as not hitting all the throws. Really felt like tyrod out there. 

Edited by london_bills

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No way.

Stop. Making. Lame. Excuses. For. Josh. Allen’s. Shittiness.

Look I admit I'm an Allen fan and I would hate to see the kid driven out of Buffalo due to the insane and ignorant expectations of a small but vocal part of the fan base and a bigger but even more ignorant segment of the Western NY sports media but pointing out the absurdity of treating 300 yard passing games as something special is NOT making a "lame excuse".

And sorry but all you have to do is watch a day of NFL football to appreciate the Bill's utter lack of play makers on Offense.  IMO, the ONLY Bills offensive guy that opponents defenses game plan for is Allen.  Who do you think the Bill's defensive coaches game planned for against Cleveland today?  I bet Baker Mayfield was #4 or #5 after Landry, OBJ, Chubb and even Hunt.  That you guys see this as making excuses is strange to me.

John Brown breaking down the 3rd & 4 play courtesy of Sounds like this was a Cover 0 sight adjustment. "I got tapped into a go ball" Tight/nasty alignment by WR so he has green horizontally & vertically. If he can't get past him, the throw will be to his backshouolder.

0:20
10.6K views

Embedded video

I got the fact that he checked Brown to a go based on the cover 0 look. Clearly that’s been coached into him. But if you know it’s cover 0 why is Brown the read and not Beasley. I don’t understand what he could possibly be thinking looking at that off coverage 

Maybe he thinks they will drop into a zone but at least peek left and if the drop into a zone throw it deep. Game on the line we basically audible to a go and throw at their best corner. That’s just not smart football from Allen. 
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Locomark said:

QBs don’t sit anymore. They are asked to learn on the fly. Rodgers or Garofalo are ridiculous examples because they were drafted behind hall of famers. As far as Mahomes, I would guarantee Allen would lol better on they KC system with those weapons than in ground and pound. Playmakers make guys looks good. I watched Maher’s throw some total double coverage bombs up only to have his superior athletes come down with it. We don’t have those athletes yet. Maybe Brown as a WR2 and maybe Knox has that potential in 2-3 years. 

Maybe sitting QBs should come back in vogue then. Maybe Allen would improve with a better OC. Maybe we just disagree. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, london_bills said:

There were good throws from Allen but only momentary things. I never got the sense that he is a QB is control of this team and offence and that he could lead them to win this game. I was hopeful on the last drive but that wasn't to be either. I a tually thought he had very little presence today aswell as not hitting all the throws. 

I think two factors contributed to this:

1)  The offensive game plan.  Even the scripted drives were off today. 

2)  The lack of offensive rhythm was in part due to the D not getting off the field and limiting offensive possessions - especially in the 1st half.

On our last 2 possessions Allen led us to a go ahead TD, overcoming a holding penalty, and then got us into FG range for a shot to tie things up.  I watched the caroilina kicker nail a 50 yard FG into the wind and snow today so 52 yards while long IS make-able.

I agree though that things just seemed off today.  You get a few of these types of games every season.

3 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

John Brown breaking down the 3rd & 4 play courtesy of Sounds like this was a Cover 0 sight adjustment. "I got tapped into a go ball" Tight/nasty alignment by WR so he has green horizontally & vertically. If he can't get past him, the throw will be to his backshouolder.

0:20
10.6K views

Embedded video

I got the fact that he checked Brown to a go based on the cover 0 look. Clearly that’s been coached into him. But if you know it’s cover 0 why is Brown the read and not Beasley. I don’t understand what he could possibly be thinking looking at that off coverage 

Maybe he thinks they will drop into a zone but at least peek left and if the drop into a zone throw it deep. Game on the line we basically audible to a go and throw at their best corner. That’s just not smart football from Allen. 

think that is basically the same play as the td he hit to Brown in the Jets game  They just weren't on the same page today  Would rather they just moved the chains  I feel like the simple hot reads/checkdowns are missing

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Look I admit I'm an Allen fan and I would hate to see the kid driven out of Buffalo due to the insane and ignorant expectations of a small but vocal part of the fan base and a bigger but even more ignorant segment of the Western NY sports media but pointing out the absurdity of treating 300 yard passing games as something special is NOT making a "lame excuse".

And sorry but all you have to do is watch a day of NFL football to appreciate the Bill's utter lack of play makers on Offense.  IMO, the ONLY Bills offensive guy that opponents defenses game plan for is Allen.  Who do you think the Bill's defensive coaches game planned for against Cleveland today?  I bet Baker Mayfield was #4 or #5 after Landry, OBJ, Chubb and even Hunt.  That you guys see this as making excuses is strange to me.

Allen threw 19 incompletions - NINETEEN! - and you’re trying to claim that he only missed on two of them.

That is a disturbing case of fanboyitis.

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Allen threw 19 incompletions - NINETEEN! - and you’re trying to claim that he only missed on two of them.

Even if he didn’t miss throws he missed easy reads. 
That’s the bigger concern for me. 

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I’ll go back tomorrow and look at each throw. It won’t be two but it won’t be nearly as many as you think.

1 minute ago, wvbillsfan said:

Even if he didn’t miss throws he missed easy reads. 
That’s the bigger concern for me. 

That’s what young QBs need to learn.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Quit moving the goal posts.  The original criticism was that Allen was missing all sorts of OPEN receivers.  And I challenged that saying I only remember him missing 2 OPEN receivers with bad throws.

As for the 19 incompletions, there were drops, throwaways, great defensive plays and guys who were covered.  We had our usual couple of passes thrown at the feet of the RB because our attempted screen was blown up.  That pretty much covers the 2 bad throws and 17 other incompletions.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Right now I would say McDermott is an average NFL coach

We've had many worse... But he's just a guy as a coach...

He's not innovating or outscheming anyone except the bottom feeders

I'm not as concerned with McD's decisions in-game as I am with his personnel decisions.

He's not the guy I want with final say on players.  For example, the defense he's sunk plenty of UFA dollars and high picks into can't seem to stop the run.  After 3 off-seasons acquiring players to build his defense that's not good enough.  

And let's not even get into offensive philosophy.  I haven't seen anything there which makes me believe they'll start scoring the 21 points per game he talked about needing to achieve at a Combine interview in February.