Bills at Browns Post Game Post Mortem

Just now, BuffaloBaumer said:

Steelers and Raiders will get wild card spots, book it. Bills lost that spot today.

Yep, the Bills schedule getting harder coupled with the obvious flaws out there on tape for opposing coaches to take advantage of will move the Bills to the "in the hunt" column rather quickly.

4 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I guess the same could be said for the defense on the last drive - You want to win a game that's huge for your team? then do it, no excuses. Just not good enough. 

Qb is one man and thus more important to understand if you have that position right or not, ideally as quick as possible. 

1 minute ago, Jaraxxus said:

I don't think anyone's arguing Josh is a finished product. But he has more total TD and fewer turnovers than Mayfield on the season and a higher completion percentage to boot.

Some are looking for finished product, and he is not there. 

I think Allen needs some more play makers out there too. I felt he pulled up on throws to Knox that needed to get there faster, because Knox has struggled catching the fast balls.

This allowed the defender to close in, but some folks only see bad pass.

There is a lot going on out there.

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

You think right tackle was the problem?  Interesting. Myles Garrett was beating Dawkins, our LT, regularly.

Dawkins has actually played quite well the past few weeks. Garrett is going to beat you sometimes, I don't care who you are.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've seen you and a few others mentioning multiple deep shots Allen missed today. I only remember the one to McKenzie. What am I forgetting? The deep pass to Beasley was dead on arrival, he was blanketed by two defenders. I don't remember any other deep shots.

He drew a PI early on with a deep ball.

The ridiculousness of posters throwing a hussy fit over the deep ba today are ignoring a litany of other issues much higher up in concern and what cost us the game.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I will repeat myself.  It's time to let it fly.

#2.  I completely disagree.  Josh Allen (if he is ever going to be a weapon) has to win using his big arm.

There needs to come a time when Daboll and McDermott own this and game plan that he is going to beat a team with the long ball.

Rotating Brown and Foster deep needs to happen and Josh needs to be "forced" to start connecting.

Josh has to make a play for the "hot girl" and stop trying to kiss his cousin.

I can appreciate that perspective, because I think his arm strength was largely what got him here.  BUT - he's been wildly inaccurate there so far.  So I think it is best to not have him heave it more than once per game - for now, at least until/unless we are eliminated from the playoffs.  Thereafter - bombs away.  But for now you just can't give up 3 drives in a game hoping he'll start getting it right.  There is too much on the line right now.

1 hour ago, iinii said:

Which is why I believe the regime overreached and compounded things by not having him sit and watch like Rodgers, Mahomes. Learning to swim in the NFL is probably akin to swimming over the falls.

QBs don’t sit anymore. They are asked to learn on the fly. Rodgers or Garofalo are ridiculous examples because they were drafted behind hall of famers. As far as Mahomes, I would guarantee Allen would lol better on they KC system with those weapons than in ground and pound. Playmakers make guys looks good. I watched Maher’s throw some total double coverage bombs up only to have his superior athletes come down with it. We don’t have those athletes yet. Maybe Brown as a WR2 and maybe Knox has that potential in 2-3 years. 

Today’s game, along with the last few, have made me realize that the Bills 6-2 record could just as easily be the Browns 2-6 record with a little less luck & a few bounces the other way. 

Both of these teams (Bills and Browns) seem to be in a similar spot to me -

teams that have been crappy for a long time that are trying to climb out of that hole and back to respectability. Both teams still have a ways to go before they’re legit contenders. 

The Bills are still rebuilding. We have tons of cap space this year (contending teams usually don’t leave $25M in unspent cap) and next. A good amount of draft picks. 

No additions at the deadline also speaks to where management thinks this team is at.

There are still numerous holes on both sides of the ball. 

This year is mostly about developing young players IMO. These last few weeks have continued to adjust my expectations for this season. I’m really trying to temper my expectations a bit and focus on the young players development. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

Just a little reality check on what the Browns are. Their losses are to:

Rams

Pats

Seahawks

Niners

and they beat the Ravens.

My biggest comlpaint wasn't with Allen's 266 passing...it was the last several plays and the 3 yard throws not playing for the W. Jauron-like offensive feel to that.

and our wins are vs all crap

we get 19 points a game despite our crap schedule with playing very few legit teams. allen just cant throw

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

Today’s game, along with the last few, have made me realize that the Bills 6-2 record could just as easily be the Browns 2-6 record with a little less luck & a few bounces the other way. 

Both of these teams (Bills and Browns) seem to be in a similar spot to me -

teams that have been crappy for a long time that are trying to climb out of that hole and back to respectability. Both teams still have a ways to go before they’re legit contenders. 

The Bills are still rebuilding. We have tons of cap space this year (contending teams usually don’t leave $25M in unspent cap) and next. A good amount of draft picks. 

No additions at the deadline also speaks to where management thinks this team is at.

There are still numerous holes on both sides of the ball. 

This year is mostly about developing young players IMO. These last few weeks have continued to adjust my expectations for this season. I’m really trying to temper my expectations a bit and focus on the young players development. 

fully agree. we have wins vs dolphins, jets, giants, titans with mariota, bengals, redskins. if we had that raiders schedule we prob have 1 or 2 wins.

defense is amazing for the most part. offense blows

• Like (+1) 1

Why are people still clamoring for Foster as our deep threat? Every time he has run downfield this year he is covered. The ones who have been open are with Brown or McKenzie. Get those 2 guys deep once or twice and maybe there will be more confidence in those plays going forward. For now our offense just looks like it is still week 3...something is missing and it’s not just the QB accuracy!

11 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Yep, the Bills schedule getting harder coupled with the obvious flaws out there on tape for opposing coaches to take advantage of will move the Bills to the "in the hunt" column rather quickly.

nah we got lucky enough to still have broncos  jets dolphins etc, if we had the raiders schedule wed for sure have a losing record right now. because of our schedule we should still be fine

7 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Have you been drinking today, sir?

Unfortunately no.  I've just never been on the McDermott train and he's done nothing to change my mind.  He took a good defense in Philly and wrecked it, he had a mediocre, soft, defense in Carolina and he's had a mediocre, soft, team here.  I see so many people talking about culture and character and blah, blah, blah.  Today was a game they needed to win and all their culture didn't do squat.  Their soft defense got smacked around all afternoon long, again, and they still managed to hand them a lead with 4 minutes left.  They needed to make them punt once. Nope.  Barely even slowed them down and they didn't luck out in the red zone the last time.  Needed a touchdown to win the game and they let clock run to obviously play for the tying 53 yard FG.  Best case scenario, they make that kick and then what? Go into overtime with a defense that has let the Browns march up and down the field?  Soft is a culture too and this team is soft. Soft and timid.

So fine, keep McDermott and see more of this, because this is what he is.  Or fire him and hire someone else and possibly see something different.  maybe better, maybe worse, maybe the same but at least there is an opportunity to be successful.  At this point?  Whatever.

And someone I'm sue will respond by saying they are 6-3!  how do you consider firing a 6-3 coach?!?  This is the worst 6-3 football team in the history of the league and they are in the process of being exposed in a big, big, way and to call what is coming anything more than an epic collapse is fooling yourself.  Who will the fall guy(s) be so we can keep the faith with McDermott?  

2 minutes ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

nah we got lucky enough to still have broncos  jets dolphins etc, if we had the raiders schedule wed for sure have a losing record right now. because of our schedule we should still be fine

I think with the way the team has been playing as of late, those three teams are no longer easy opponents or high probability wins.

6 minutes ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

and our wins are vs all crap

we get 19 points a game despite our crap schedule with playing very few legit teams. allen just cant throw

fully agree. we have wins vs dolphins, jets, giants, titans with mariota, bengals, redskins. if we had that raiders schedule we prob have 1 or 2 wins.

defense is amazing for the most part. offense blows

Defense has been together for 2.5 years, offense has been together 9 games.  

Missed FGs cost us today. We should of won that game. 

• Haha (+1) 1