Bills at Browns Post Game Post Mortem

It’s just maddening that we are in year 3 of this regime and we still don’t have an offense. Why? It’s ridiculous. I’d almost take AB at this point if it meant moving the ball and YAC. As good as John Brown has been, we hardly ever get any YAC out of him. We never have any pop plays. I feel Josh’s struggles with the deep ball are completely mental. Cross between coaching the aggression out of him

and over thinking it. 

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

We don’t learn from our losses.  The only adjustment we’ve made is making Allen timid with the ball

I think Allen is doing just fine minus the deep ball. He had a lot of 10-15 yard passes on the money today. Big drop by Knox early and another by Roberts later on. I like what I see with Allen. Room to improve? Absolutely, but I love the feeling i have when he has the ball and we need a drive.

• Like (+1) 2

Some perspective: the Bills weren't supposed to be 7-2, not with the weaknesses talked about here. Mayfield had Beckham and Landry to throw to. Allen had who else besides Brown? Give him one or two more players and another year of development, and an real 7-2 record will be plausible. 

Can't help but carp, though: Daboll. What the heck. Eight carries for one of the best players on the offense--someone doing great in the game. It's like his ego is attached to passing yards. 

• Like (+1) 1

I felt like this game was going to be a challenge when I saw Allen miss a couple of open guys due to sloppy footwork in the opening drive when he had plenty of time.  There were certainly other issues to the game (like the offense and clock management at the end of the game - blech), but Allen needs to get some consistency fast if this team is ever going to be something.  He just isn't there yet, and there is only so much his legs can do.  I'm fearing we whiffed on Lamar.

Edited by Murdox

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

We don’t learn from our losses.  The only adjustment we’ve made is making Allen timid with the ball

Allen fired some balls in there today but misses the long ball- still very raw

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Gap integrity, love each other, keep learning, and we are a young team. 

That is all McD will say and its all bull

For every 1 or 2 good plays Edmunds makes theres 4 or 5 where he is getting pushed aside, out of position, not shedding a block or getting run over. For the love of God put this man on the outside!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Most are saying it is both, but go ahead and run with that narrative.

I don't think most are saying its both actually. 

I think most posts are saying its Daboll, there's certainly a narrative for that which I am pointing out. 

I am not the most clued up nfl guy but the narrative regards Allen is more obvious in my opinion- we can see it with our eyes. Plays are left on the field. Theres 'bipolar' QB play from one minute to the next. 

Regards Daboll we can see the playcalls and will always critique them when they are not succesful. You could say Allen is an easier critique but never be proved wrong with that because we are not in meetings, don't know the game plan etc. So in regards the OC I think its harder to see, with the QB easier to see. 

Edited by london_bills

Just now, whatdrought said:

You're entitled to your opinion. A lot of rational, non-emotion driven posters (i.e. those who typically live in reality) disagree with you. There are others who are yelling ***** allen as they plunge to their deaths over Niagara Falls. We're probably both plenty wrong- he probably wasn't as okay as I think he was, and he probably wasn't as bad as you think he was. It is what it is. 

Fair enough. 

I’m not saying he was Peterman bad. But at some point we have to start seeing more from Josh and he’s yet to show it. It’s getting to the point where it’s very concerning that perhaps he just doesn’t have it in him. All over the league we are seeing very young QB have great performances, yet Josh has yet to light it up. It’s not like he doesn’t have opportunities. The Bills are throwing a lot, they are giving Allen chances to hit deep throws. The defense has kept them in games. 

1 minute ago, TwistofFate said:

I don't want Cam either, but the thought crossed my mind. 

I don't want Cam either.  If Miami can't get Tua for some reason, I wonder if Cam ends up in Miami; not sure how Flores views Cam, though.

This is going to be a long week.  I think this is the most disappointed I've been after a Bills loss in a long time.  Probably since the Bills lost to the steelers week 16 in the early 2000s.  Not sure if it's because I thought the game was over when Hughes looked like he scored or if it's because a win today probably put the Bills in the playoffs... but this one sucks.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dubs said:

Fair enough. 

I’m not saying he was Peterman bad. But at some point we have to start seeing more from Josh and he’s yet to show it. It’s getting to the point where it’s very concerning that perhaps he just doesn’t have it in him. All over the league we are seeing very young QB have great performances, yet Josh has yet to light it up. It’s not like he doesn’t have opportunities. The Bills are throwing a lot, they are giving Allen chances to hit deep throws. The defense has kept them in games. 

I have to agree.  The number of missed throws to open receivers when he is NOT under any direct pressure is troubling. That said, he does have a great arm - not many QBs could fit the ball in he got to Beasley on the 2nd TD drive.

Edited by Murdox

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Hauschka makes the kick and we just tie it, leaving McD/Daboll/Allen another opportunity to find a more creative way to lose.

If we were an actual good team that deserved our record the Browns never would have even been in this game. It was a 60 minute race to the bottom, and the browns finished shooting themselves in the foot before we ran out of bullets.

We don't deserve our record?! What a load of crap.

34 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Lol. “Low percentage” pass? There was no one within 10 yards of McKenzie and it wasn’t like Allen had to heave it 80 yards downfield to get it to him. Bojo could have punted it up to McKenzie and got it closer. 

seriously hope you’re joking. Those passes are only “low percentage” for Allen. God his excuse makers never stop...Allen and his long ball yips cost them the same amount of points as Hauschka today. 

I got to admit that the line in bold is damn funny!  I may use that line later this week with the brothers!

I will say that I have not been too high on Allen or too low on Allen but it is getting to the point where he has to start to show more.

ESPECIALLY with the long ball. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

We have a coach that is actively trying to limit the offense. 

Can't believe this idiot blew 33 seconds, iced his own kicker, only to miss on a 53 yard kick. If you were playing for the tie, run the ***** ball and get a couple yards for your kicker. 

Classic case of NOT putting your players in a position to win. 

Edited by Elite Poster
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Roman looks good because one of the better HC's in the league in John Harbaugh sets the direction.  That is something Rex obviously couldn't do, McD isn't doing, so these OC's are left to their own devices.  A competent OC can overcome this since they understand their players and shape their scheme to their players.

Agree on this being the last OC McD hires.  Pegula and Beane should hire an offensive guru/consultant who will pick the OC.  McD will have to live with that.

Roman has always been good.  Has nothing to do with Harbaugh.  Hell Roman was great here.  We had a top ten offense every year Roman was here and scape goated him after we scored 31 in a losing effort and played terrible D.  Roman was great in SF, great here, and clearly great in Baltimore also. 

Man, a lot of thoughts after this one. Horrendous play calling, Wallace getting picked on, should have challenged offensive PI on the 4th down play in the 1st half, should have kicked the 53 yarder FG in the first half, 8 carries for Singletary, etc... There isn’t a lot to walk out of this game feeling good about. We just need to do better