Bills at Browns Post Game Post Mortem

Just now, TwistofFate said:

He's not Jackson, hell isn't even Tyrod.   

I have no idea what Allen is anymore.

He can barely hit a guy in stride unless he has 4 seconds and completely clean pocket.

I had hope for him in the beginning of the season, there's no hope now. 

He simply doesn't have the it factor, nor does he have a single strong go to ability. 

Poor guy; your life is ruined.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big C said:

Allen has gotten significantly better at the intermediate throws. We seem to convert a decent number of 2nd and 3rd & long situations. I feel like we are more likely to convert 3rd and 10 than 3rd & 3, but I don't have numbers to prove it. 

Yeah, 10-20 yards he does fine.  It is that 20+ he shouldn't be attempting at critical situations such as 3rd and short.

36 minutes ago, mynmisoli said:

with 45 seconds left atleast run the ball to try and get a few yards to set up your kicker.  instead we huddle up and throw the ball away?  weird.  Also can Haushka even kick the ball 50 yards anymore?  

Seconds were ticking away. I was shocked that they showed no urgency.

Again, I have a perfect Pre Season Record...

WK1 @ Jets. WIN (1-0)

WK2 @ Giants WIN (2-0)

WK3 Bengals WIN (3-0)

WK4 Patriots LOSS (3-1)

WK5 @ Titans WIN (4-1)

WK6 BYE (4-1) 

WK7 Dolphins WIN (5-1)

WK8 Eagles LOSS (5-2)

WK9 Redskins WIN (6-2)

WK10 @ Browns LOSS (6-3)

WK11 @ Dolphins WIN (7-3) 

WK12 Broncos WIN (8-3)

WK13 @ Cowboys LOSS (8-4)

WK14 Ravens WIN (9-4)

WK15 @ Steelers LOSS (9-5)

WK16 @ Patriots LOSS (9-6)

WK17 Jets WIN  (10-6) 

unforunately.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Yeah, 10-20 yards he does fine.  It is that 20+ he shouldn't be attempting at critical situations such as 3rd and short.

Yeah that 3rd & 3 deep shot to Beasley of all people was so ill-advised. I have no idea if that was Daboll's call or if Allen opted to let it rip, but it was a terrible play.

27 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

That's literally partly the difference.  Two missed FGs are the partly the difference.  So the defense didn't let Baker march them down and let Chubb rumbled for like 20 yds with half the defense on his back?   But hey, it's all Allen's fault because that fits your narrative.

It’s the NFL, every offense is going to make plays from time to time, even the worst. The Bengals scored today... It’s not any narrative, the defense held them to 19 points, they did their job. That drive should’ve been garbage time for Mayfield.

The defense shut down hoe many goal to go try’s in a row?

Came up with a huge safety to tie the game.

Yeah, this loss is on the ineptness of the offense.

Hauschka can get like 5%, but again they should be scoring Touchdowns. The offense needs to convert the big plays that are afforded to them.

No, none of this loss is on the defense, sorry Charlie.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan

41 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Kicker left 6 points on the board and the QB sucked. Not on the coaches at all

I only blame MCDERMOTT AND BEANE for sitting on their hands and not fixing the run defense. 2 complete drafts 3 FA periods and they just let the trade deadline pass again. Corey Liuget that's what they give us as a salve. How about Vincent Taylor. Come on!!!

2 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Give it up.   Play calling was absolutely not the problem.  Those plays were there to be had.   Wake the ***** up.  52% completion percentage was the problem.   

Overthrows, under throws, bad throws,  thays the problem.   Dont blame the OC for calling the perfect play your Qb cant execute. 

So sick of your excuses.   Allen just isnt good enough.   Face it. Own it.  Devise a plan to FIX IT. 

So Daboll has a proven track record of good offenses? This offense is stuck in a rut and I am not really sure if it would not be stuck in a rut with any other QB at the helm

He shares the blame, there is no way that 2-minute drill should have looked like it did. Your team should be prepared and ready to spike the ball when you catch it in bounds for a 1st and the clock is still running. They looked like the keystone cops out there. Then calling a screen when your average for having those work is n the single digit percentages.

I think I know what he was thinking and that is that it should work with the Browns playing deep and only a few guys rushing, but teams know to stay disciplined playing against Allen and not to lose contain. So defensive lines particularly the ends know that they cannot get too deep in their pass rush and that is why they are in good position to sniff out those screens almost every time. So don't call it if it is rarely if ever there even if most fans are screaming for it.

The O-line struggled today in pass-pro too, and Allen was much better when he could step into throws, but overall Allen did not have a good game IMO. He particularly had accuracy issues early in the game, so I am not an apologist. He too needs to show more improvement to make it in this league. I do think he took a lot off his throws to Knox to try to help him make those catches on those deeper outs and that allowed defenders to close the gap - Knox needs to be able to catch those outs thrown with heat because they are supposed to get there fast.

Easy to blame the kicker, and yes he should make that 34 yarder (or whatever it was), but the offense is just not getting the job done.  Expecting to tie the game on the road, on grass with a 53 yard FG is stupid. 

Play calling or execution?   - its both.   Playing calling is only part of it.  No 100 yard rusher for us again this week, no big play threats at WRs. More dropped balls.  More inaccurate passes by Allen.  Dumb penalties including two penalties in a row after the safety and free kick.  Two more penalties by #85.  Terrible game and clock management by Allen/Daboll on the last drive … just plain terrible.  Have we no ability to run the no huddle and call plays at the line?    Do we practice this?  Answer must be no because we never do it.  Huddling in the last minute right after a time out?  McD needs to get this fixed. 

Defense - More trouble with the run again but eventually they figured it out.  Good game overall but they failed to hold with the game on the line.   We have a  good defense that needs a #2 CB and some run stuffing help to be a great defense.  Meanwhile we need to fit #39 for a flame ######ant uniform. 

Special Teams - uninspired once again. 

Cleveland is a talented but terrible team.   Their coach is a mess and he has no business in this league.  Their sideline is filled with drama and confusion.  Their players are undisciplined.   It sucks to lose to Cleveland and this could be one of the games we point to at the end of the season if things get worse. 

Edited by Bob in STL

25 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Welcome to reality.  Glad to have you! 

Some of us have been tuned into this for quite a while now.

It is going to take a LONG time for more fans to come on board here.

Eventually, this will not be a point of contention; it will be obvious.

Was not a Allen fan when he was drafted. However he started to win me over. Now though certainly looking like he has hit a ceiling. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Agent 91 said:

Allen HAS to wake up. He can not be allowed to put the ball on the carpet

And he cant be allowed to sleepwalk to start the game. Levi and run d not withstsnding...  we held them to 19 points. I just cant deal with the constant passes for Allen. The reason he keeps coming back in the 4th... is because he never puts anyone to bed early 

Allen sleepwalk? First 5 passes of game he went 1-4. 2 bad drops and a third that was a bad throw by Allen (behind Brown) but catchable. But yeah it’s on him... not Knox for have a two hands on ball on sideline on 3rd down and just dropping it - definitely allen’s Fault

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JTown said:

Mahomes played lights out.  446 yds.

He is not the problem in KC.  That is on their defense.   

If you think differently,  I feel sorry for you. 

And yet KC still lost. This is a team game. The Bills are no different from the Chiefs in that regard.

• Like (+1) 1

I said it quite a few times in the GDT and I'll say it again.

The refs aren't the main reason we lost but this nonsense where they call the Bills for about 4 holds every week while calling our opponents for none (even though they're holding too) is really old.

Holding is one of the worst rules in all of sports because it's called so inconsistently and it lets refs pick and choose when and which team they want to call it on. When you're putting one team 10 yards behind the sticks on four different possessions and not a single time for the other team on such a subjective call that could be called on the majority of plays then I take huge issue with it.

The OC is an easier criticism then the QB. Anytime a playcall doesn't work its the OCs fault. Allen never scans the whole field and. Lacks composure and consistency. The QB sets the tone for the team. 

Allen won't be replaced now but it's naive to think he will Improve much more than this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Agent 91 said:

Allen HAS to wake up. He can not be allowed to put the ball on the carpet

And he cant be allowed to sleepwalk to start the game. Levi and run d not withstsnding...  we held them to 19 points. I just cant deal with the constant passes for Allen. The reason he keeps coming back in the 4th... is because he never puts anyone to bed early 

And your D handed them the score and the lead leaving a minute and change on the clock - they share the blame on this one whether you want to look there or not.