Bills at Browns Post Game Post Mortem

Wow! Just wow! I respect all the opinions and statements but this thread needs its title changed to “for irrational catastrophic thinking bills fans only“ it was a tough loss,  it happens. And, would  the majority of you rather not be 6-3. I think that’s a fair question

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MDH said:

Everybody doesn’t think they’re pretenders because of play calling, run D and the kicker.

They think the QB isn’t good and can’t carry them when they need it. If you put Watson or Mahomes on this team everybody would have faith in the Bills.

That's not what I said, I said the loss to the Browns today is why everyone thinks they are pretenders. Then I went on to list what lost them the game today

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Um, well, I guess you have a point w/ the Ravens.  

We can beat the Pats, Steelers and Cowboys. Not that we'll win all of those, but it's not like the latter 2 are juggernauts, and the Pats will be competitive.

Are you just penciling in a loss against every decent team?

Well, the Bills have only beaten truly rotten teams all year, so it only makes sense that they lose to any decent team. The defense is above average but the offense is atrocious, from the QB to the OL to the receivers. The coaching is suspect to say the least as well. The whole playoff narrative depended on the Bills' spectacularly weak schedule, and unfortunately most of the weak opponents are gone. The Bills have done nothing to indicate they can win either of those 4 games.

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

We have the pieces...except the 2 most important ones? Fantastic.

Josh may be salvageable if we make a change at OC fast. Dabs have ruined him almost to the point of no return. 

Edited by Chill

this stings. winning vs a team that still has talent on the road would earn us some respect. as of right now I know multiple other people fans of other teams and nobody respects us because we have wins vs all garbage teams and I dont blame them. this wouldve really been big. lucky we still have jets and dolphins left and other bad teams

I would still rather be a Bills fan than a Browns far. I was worried that desperate would be dangerous. I like our plan, we just need to keep growing. Let the hater’s and “realists” have their rant for a while. We have progress to make, but a good future. I believe that! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, par73 said:

The end of that last drive was brutal. Where was the urgency to score-- or at least get closer? Did they really think that kicker was going to hit from 50+?

That has been a consistent trait of McDermott's team.

Poor in-game decision making, horrible penalty challenges, and atrocious clock management.

Well we are what we are.

A poor offensive team with a decent defense that struggles to get off the field and stop the run and a defensive back in Wallace who is a liability in single coverage. The defense did an amazing job in their goal line stands and I will not take that away from them.

Hausch misses field goals so McD and Daboll cannot play the game like they can win by playing for field position and field goals. As much as I believe in consistency I still feel that Daboll game-plans and personnel selections are head-scratchers what is wrong with our screens - they get sniffed out all the time and Allen has to choose between throwing it in the dirt or into crowd of mixed jerseys. Why is Lee Smith on the field at all - how many holding penalties does it take to lose reps on this team ? Why is Duke not suited up when you need to be able to get Singletary out on the edge with space?

We have proved nothing against talented teams and Kitchens called one of the worst games I have ever seen and the Bills coaching staff still were out-coached - embarrassing and they are going to need to hear the critique that something needs to change. Especially the offense as that game management at the end was abysmal. Daboll has taught Allen that they can spike the ball to stop the clock - right? And a huddle with the clock running - WTF, that's coaching, more specifically the failure of coaching.

The Bills need to accept that they are not that good yet (sigh).

Sky is not falling - that 24 yard pass at the end was the longest by Mayfield, but good teams and defenses do not give up that score at the end.

We need another corner who can play man and be physical where I believe Wallace excels as a zone DB. Most of that drive, including the TD, was on Wallace.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I watched about 40% of this game, what exactly am I missing in people blaming allne?

Because it's the hot narrative here. Always. 

Defense gashed? Nope. Kicker missing a 34 yarder? Nope. In position to tie, another missed FG? Nope. 

Defense allowed 0. Special teams were immaculate. Entire loss is on #17. Duh. 

Not an Allen defender or supporter, but it's ridiculous in here. 

Edited by Vertig0

Just now, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

The defense held them to 19 points... No part of this L is on them.  To be a championship caliber football team, you have to be able to score more than 20 points against the Browns, or any other NFL defense for that matter.

Josh left touchdowns on the field, that’s literally the difference in the game...

Here’s the reason for the frustrations at the defense...

We’ve invested so much in them.  The defense should be dominant, and it’s not.... it’s a top 10 defense but not dominant at all.  

The offense is still a WIP led by a second year QB.   

....but yes, the offense needs to be better & FG kicking is officially a problem.