Weekend Rules-Power Lawn Tools

plenzmd1

I usually dont go out before 9am but my neighbor said something about my leaves blowing into his yard (despite me spending full days on my mower and lawn sweeper this fall) so  8:30am Sunday, before church, I was on my mower running the lawn sweeper again.   Also back on it from 4-5:30 after the game yesterday

Edited by thenorthremembers

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

In my area, starting the equipment early is no big deal because the farmers are out with the equipment in the fields.  

On the other hand, mowing the lawn at 9pm during the summer is not something warmly received.  

I’ve lived on three different golf courses, and they are out there before the sun comes up cutting grass using headlights. A golf course is pretty to look at, but not all it’s cracked up to be!  People pay a premium for those lots, but not for me due to the maintenance noises, golf balls crashing off your houses and guys cussing like sailors because they decided to spend the day doing something they are not any good at. 

My SIL is currently battling her local government because of the crazy hours they start maintenance on the municipal course across the street from her. It’s always started early, but has gotten even earlier.  Good luck with that! 

Edited by Augie

4 hours ago, Augie said:

golf balls crashing off your house

Friends lived on a golf course with the backyard facing towards it, and yeah, occasional ball hitting the house, bouncing onto their patio....

Their next door elderly Asian neighbors wore bicycle helmets when in their backyard doing anything.

• Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Friends lived on a golf course with the backyard facing towards it, and yeah, occasional ball hitting the house, bouncing onto their patio....

Their next door elderly Asian neighbors wore bicycle helmets when in their backyard doing anything.

There is some amount I would pay just to see that! 

When I lived on the 10th green of the Harbour Town course in Hilton Head the next door neighbor lived in Ohio and used it as a second home. They’d be gone for months at a time so every now and then we would walk around their place looking for broken windows. More years than not we’d find a broken window and have to make the call and manage getting it repaired.  They kind of acted like the moon for the earth, taking a lot of blows so we would not. I’m not innocent myself, as my all time most entertaining shot hit the roof of two different patio homes before hitting the side of a third. Three houses on one shot has to be a record, right? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Too many peeps in our neighborhood  have lawn services and some of them will'

start at any time of day.

My thoughts for mowing is any time after noon is OK and

same with leaf blowing.  I just spent 5 hours moving leaves into the woods

that are adjacent   to our property.  Then I tell the young whippersnappers

how we used to burn leaves back in the day growing up in Lewiston.

Snow blowing at any time. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's 10:45pm and someone is snowblowing... But that will happen when a foot of snow is falling.  Who's gonna complain?

People in Florida would be PISSED! I promise you that! 

Just now, Augie said:

People in Florida would be PISSED! I promise you that! 

Melted Snowflakes... 

Lazy and non-industrious.

What do people do when they live near trains... Complain that there is a whistle, horn.  You learn to block it out.

Actually,  the sound of a snowblower I'd rather relaxing... Pretty rhythmic.  LoL...

On 11/10/2019 at 10:48 AM, row_33 said:

my home is on the borderline between old rich and slums

when it was local election time i got pamphlets talking about:

1)  leaf blower noise in early hours on weekends;  or

2)  crackhead crime and attempts to stop people from kidnapping children and stuffing them into mason jars

then the Provincial Government merged the two a few years ago, the rich folk won.

The Rich Folk won in a Ford Government? Lol

C'mon, those are 2 very important topics, have you ever tried smoking crack while stuffing a Kid in a mason jar and the neighbor is using his leafblower in the morning?

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

My parents had a neighbor who lived next door when we were growing up that did this. Everyone on the street called her "Bobcia" (I have no idea what her real last name was) and she was at least 75 years old (she died when she was in her upper 90s, long after I moved out). She scraped that driveway down to cement and took it as a personal affront when a new snowflake tried to land on her freshly cleared driveway. 

The upside I was never late for school when it snowed. Who knew metal shovel scratching along a cement driveway could be such an good alarm clock?

This must be a common thing of all Polish Grandmothers

I used to go over and use her Snowblower to clear her driveway before taking it over to my house and do ours.

She would be out there in her 80's with me to scrape the areas the snowblower didnt fully clean to the asphalt

Then she would complain about the plow drivers thinking they are purposefully putting more snow at the end of her driveway

My dad was the same way that we had to follow him with a heavy steel shovel to scrape the driveway clean as he was clearing it with his snowblower.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

This must be a common thing of all Polish Grandmothers

I used to go over and use her Snowblower to clear her driveway before taking it over to my house and do ours.

She would be out there in her 80's with me to scrape the areas the snowblower didnt fully clean to the asphalt

Then she would complain about the plow drivers thinking they are purposefully putting more snow at the end of her driveway

My dad was the same way that we had to follow him with a heavy steel shovel to scrape the driveway clean as he was clearing it with his snowblower.

Only way!

Most of the time... Plow drivers are just dumbazzes.  Just not thinking. I take it as nothing personal when they plow your approach in.  It's gotta go somewhere.

Or be like the neighbors my sister had... Just drive up and down driveway packing the snow down. /smh

FWIW.  Do a good job the first time, subsequent shovelings are easier.  Do a crappy job, just makes it harder the next time.  You wanna just push the snow and toss flick it.  Going bumpty bump on old packed snow... Impaling your nads when the shovel stops abruptly sucks.  Shoveling ain't as hard as people make it out to be.  I don't owner a snow machine.  Simply not worth it at my age and the region Iive in.

Work smart, not hard... Amazing how many people cut corners and make the work twice as hard for the next time.

As the season progresses... Then gets past 12/21 different tactics are used.  I don't shovel the same in November and December as I do in late February & March. First off... My driveway faces north.  By early March the sun is starting to reach over peak of house and burning it off the driveway higher up.

This time of year, clean it well or you are in for misery later.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

8 am on weekends seems to be the neighborhood rule for lawn equipment.  Snow blowing at anytime - been out there at 4 or 5 am if need to leave that early.

My my real issue is, when to use lawn equipment when neighbors have guests over?  My neighbor believes as soon as he sees you outside with others, time to cut the grass.  Not a quick run at it, slow and deliberate. 

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Only way!

Most of the time... Plow drivers are just dumbazzes.  Just not thinking. I take it as nothing personal when they plow your approach in.  It's gotta go somewhere.

Or be like the neighbors my sister had... Just drive up and down driveway packing the snow down. /smh

FWIW.  Do a good job the first time, subsequent shovelings are easier.  Do a crappy job, just makes it harder the next time.  You wanna just push the snow and toss flick it.  Going bumpty bump on old packed snow... Impaling your nads when the shovel stops abruptly sucks.  Shoveling ain't as hard as people make it out to be.  I don't owner a snow machine.  Simply not worth it at my age and the region Iive in.

Work smart, not hard... Amazing how many people cut corners and make the work twice as hard for the next time.

As the season progresses... Then gets past 12/21 different tactics are used.  I don't shovel the same in November and December as I do in late February & March. First off... My driveway faces north.  By early March the sun is starting to reach over peak of house and burning it off the driveway higher up.

This time of year, clean it well or you are in for misery later.

I will use my snowblower to clear along the side of the road of the house to the right of me (when looking straight at my house) and directly in front of my house. This way when the plow is going by during the day, less gets pile in front of my driveway