Pass rush problems...exaggerated?

Hebert19

3 hours ago, Koko78 said:

They may not get a ton of sacks, but the D-Line regularly generates a lot of disruption and pressure.

They generate a lot of disruption and pressure and also disguise coverage from their base D, nickel, or what Zo said they call "Buffalo" (a heavy nickel)

Right now, they're stopping the run by going bigger bodies/less penetration on the DL and playing man.

The question is can we stop the run enough out of our base D?

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Wonder how much this ranking has to do with the opponents the Bills have played. As someone noted, there's rarely a playmaker flying off the edge or even shooting an interior gap. They collapse the pocket well enough, but that's not the type of pressure that really rattles the top QB's or leads to turnovers, etc. 

It's a problem. 

Tom Brady seemed fairly rattled.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Whatever metric or analysis they are using to claim the Bills have 5th best pass rush is severely flawed.  

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Wow, that ranking by PFF seems very high. I obviously don’t see every other NFL game, but I’d have guessed the Bills would be in the bottom half of the league somewhere. They don’t get a ton of pressure or sacks, and not many takeaways as a direct result. I’m surprised at their analysis. 

Yeah, I'd take that with a ton of salt like many PFF ratings.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Whatever metric or analysis they are using to claim the Bills have 5th best pass rush is severely flawed.  

These may help:

3rd in total points allowed 16.4 per game

10th on 3rd down completion  at 35% 

58 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I’m pretty sure their adjustments worked last week (at least in part )due to facing a rookie QB in his first start ; they weren’t too concerned about the passing game. I’d venture they have a plan designed to limit Chubb, but it won’t be the same thing they ran vs WAS. 

As much talent as Cleveland has at wr and rb, their passing game is not exactly tearing it up and scaring the ***** out of opponents. 

I think the Bills should do what is necessary to stop the run like they did in 2nd half of Redskins game. Force Mayfield to get it done through the air without turning it over, I think the Bills secondary and pass rush win that battle.

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

As much talent as Cleveland has at wr and rb, their passing game is not exactly tearing it up and scaring the ***** out of opponents. 

I think the Bills should do what is necessary to stop the run like they did in 2nd half of Redskins game. Force Mayfield to get it done through the air without turning it over, I think the Bills secondary and pass rush win that battle.

Going through all the weekly podcast, here is what I could summarize:

1. Browns have a helluva Running Back in Nick Chub, who is a very physical runner.  However, he is not being utilized in the offense.

2. Browns have two WRs who are  on pace for 1200 yards each

3. Their TEs are non-existent

4. Their OL is in shambles even though they extended their center.  This has hurt the accuracy issues for Mayfield. 

5. Mayfield's targets last year are on the bench...so there is no chemistry at the difficult times.

6, Mayfield is not letting OBJ make plays by throwing it up to him.  

On Defense:

1.  They are missing Greg's aggresiveness

2. They have a NFL Sack leader in Myles Garrett

3. They have two outstanding CBs but their entire DB is quite thin and leaves a lot to be desired with backups

4. Their front seven has been out-manned

On past Games:

1.  They have been low scoring games, shoot outs,  close games (Seattle) and beat up on opponents (Baltimore)

2. Their Coaching Staff is definitely getting Out coached.

3. Freddie Kitchens is over his head when it comes to managing the Football Team 

The best plan for the Bills to win are:

1. Run the football and score points on every drive. 

2. Keep Mayfield and Chubb off the field.  Our Run Defense will be torn apart by Chubb like Peterson did in the 1st half. Bills have been weak against North-South backs.

3. Make Mayfield one dimensional and throw the football.  Our DBs are up for the task.  They may need to play Kevin Johnson more than Levi Wallace.

4. Make plays on Special Teams.

This is one game the team has to win by playing as a team.  No individual heroics needed other than by Singletary!

Edited by ganesh

4 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

you dont honestly think Chubb and old man peterson are similar talents in 2019 do you? 

Nope. He's twice the running back. He'll get twice the 2nd half yardage (14).

11 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Personally I dont see our front 4 do enough in the pass rush but I just read this and maybe the lack of sacks isn't the only story.  They must be getting consistent pressure. 

Buffalo Bills at Cleveland Browns (-3)

Pick: Buffalo Bills +3

Buffalo's pass rush should be the difference here. According to Pro Football Focus, Buffalo has the fifth-best pass rushing unit of 2019 and Cleveland sports the 20th best pass-blocking unit. Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield, meanwhile, sees his passer rating drop from 83.0 in a clean pocket to 40.8 when facing pass pressure this year. For comparison, a player will get a 39.6 passer rating for throwing the ball into the dirt. The favored Browns, in general, are a hot mess, while the Bills are 6-2.

Who knew. 

Buffalo does not have a pass rush problem. A huge element of the defensive success so far has been pressure that has forced Quarterbacks to get rid of the ball early or bail the pocket and hold it longer. Even against Philly, in the first half Wentz was never throwing in rhythm, we were in his face and disrupting his pocket pretty much every snap. The second half when they started to bludgeon us with the run the Bills defenders had to back off getting up field so fast which demonstrates how with most defenses - but especially McDermott's scheme - one part of the D struggling affects everything else. 

The people who think we have a pass rush problem are the people looking only at sacks. We have got QBs off their spot and out of rhythm all season long.  

EDIT: the one thing we lack is a dominant player in that front 4 or even front 7 that the opponents have to specifically game plan for. I still think Ed Oliver has a chance to be that but he isn't it now. 

Edited by GunnerBill

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

Going through all the weekly podcast, here is what I could summarize:

1. Browns have a helluva Running Back in Nick Chub, who is a very physical runner.  However, he is not being utilized in the offense.

2. Browns have two WRs who are  on pace for 1200 yards each

3. Their TEs are non-existent

4. Their OL is in shambles even though they extended their center.  This has hurt the accuracy issues for Mayfield. 

5. Mayfield's targets last year are on the bench...so there is no chemistry at the difficult times.

6, Mayfield is not letting OBJ make plays by throwing it up to him.  

On Defense:

1.  They are missing Greg's aggresiveness

2. They have a NFL Sack leader in Myles Garrett

3. They have two outstanding CBs but their entire DB is quite thin and leaves a lot to be desired with backups

4. Their front seven has been out-manned

On past Games:

1.  They have been low scoring games, shoot outs,  close games (Seattle) and beat up on opponents (Baltimore)

2. Their Coaching Staff is definitely getting Out coached.

3. Freddie Kitchens is over his head when it comes to managing the Football Team 

The best plan for the Bills to win are:

1. Run the football and score points on every drive. 

2. Keep Mayfield and Chubb off the field.  Our Run Defense will be torn apart by Chubb like Peterson did in the 1st half. Bills have been weak against North-South backs.

3. Make Mayfield one dimensional and throw the football.  Our DBs are up for the task.  They may need to play Kevin Johnson more than Levi Wallace.

4. Make plays on Special Teams.

This is one game the team has to win by playing as a team.  No individual heroics needed other than by Singletary!

Good thoughts, and a generally an optimistic perspective on things. Thanks

One area I 100% agree with you: They may need to play Kevin Johnson more than Levi Wallace.  Yes! Yes! Yes!

Sacks are an overrated stat. There are give or take 80 offensive snaps a game. Great sack teams get 4 to 5 sacks a game. Awesome, but the percentage is so small a sack just doesn’t consistently change the course of a game. A 50% pressure rate, on the other hand, that changes the whole dynamic of the game. Granted, sacks usually indicate a high pressure rate. However, if I had to choose between a relatively high sack rate and a high pass rush rate, I pick the latter