Pass rush problems...exaggerated?

Hebert19

Personally I dont see our front 4 do enough in the pass rush but I just read this and maybe the lack of sacks isn't the only story.  They must be getting consistent pressure. 

Buffalo Bills at Cleveland Browns (-3)

Pick: Buffalo Bills +3

Buffalo's pass rush should be the difference here. According to Pro Football Focus, Buffalo has the fifth-best pass rushing unit of 2019 and Cleveland sports the 20th best pass-blocking unit. Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield, meanwhile, sees his passer rating drop from 83.0 in a clean pocket to 40.8 when facing pass pressure this year. For comparison, a player will get a 39.6 passer rating for throwing the ball into the dirt. The favored Browns, in general, are a hot mess, while the Bills are 6-2.

Who knew. 

The Bills generate enough pressure to make the QB uncomfortable enough to drop his eyes, move out of the pocket or throw it before he wants to many times...they might not get sacks but they are affecting throws.

Edited by matter2003

Wow, that ranking by PFF seems very high. I obviously don’t see every other NFL game, but I’d have guessed the Bills would be in the bottom half of the league somewhere. They don’t get a ton of pressure or sacks, and not many takeaways as a direct result. I’m surprised at their analysis. 

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Whatever metric or analysis they are using to claim the Bills have 5th best pass rush is severely flawed.  

Hmm...i dunno... How many throw aways do opposing QBs have against us where they are chased out of the pocket with a Bills defender trailing them? Seems like it happens fairly frequently.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

why pass when you can run through them at will

Hopefully that will be fixed for the Cleveland game.

That still leaves the pass rush to improve.  I don't necessarily care about sacks, but Mayfield needs to be pressured and he will turn it over, or at least be inaccurate.

Wonder how much this ranking has to do with the opponents the Bills have played. As someone noted, there's rarely a playmaker flying off the edge or even shooting an interior gap. They collapse the pocket well enough, but that's not the type of pressure that really rattles the top QB's or leads to turnovers, etc. 

It's a problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the analytics stuff is overstated in sports like Football & Hockey. There’s too many random variables to isolate a lot of what’s happening on any given play. Baseball is so much easier in terms of using analytics, just s simpler game.

That being said, while I think they could use another guy on the edge (I’m not a Murphy fan, and Hughes is getting towards the end of his road), they get pressure, but not a ton of sacks. I wonder if that’s partially because we cover so well? 

12 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

The same one that stopped AP in the second half last week?

I’m pretty sure their adjustments worked last week (at least in part )due to facing a rookie QB in his first start ; they weren’t too concerned about the passing game. I’d venture they have a plan designed to limit Chubb, but it won’t be the same thing they ran vs WAS. 

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I’m pretty sure their adjustments worked last week (at least in part )due to facing a rookie QB in his first start ; they weren’t too concerned about the passing game. I’d venture they have a plan designed to limit Chubb, but it won’t be the same thing they ran vs WAS. 

That's a good point.  McD didn't fear Haskins' passing threat, but will have to respect Mayfield.  Chubb and AP are similar in stature, but Chubb is faster than AP.  He'll be a handful who you don't want to get going to full speed.  I would guess Oliver will be limited in playing time again in favor of Jordan Phillips, Star, and Taylor.