Some mid-season thoughts re Allen and the team

jahnyc

On 11/9/2019 at 1:29 PM, RiotAct said:

I’m pretty happy with how Edmunds and Allen are progressing so far this season.  As far as Oliver, I think he’ll start to make more of an impact as the season winds down.

I don't know what to say anymore ...

If what you have seen from Allen makes you happy, you will be thrilled with having most any QB in the league. 

11 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Allen wasn't awful; he's usually not. But he's really not progressing at an ideal rate. 

The play that immediately jumps out for me was the decision to airmail it on 3rd and 3 in the third QTR near midfield when he had ALL DAY to throw. Just really awful decision making there.

I think it's perfectly fair to say there are some serious questions as to whether or not he'll get there. Getting into the territory where it's put up or this is "who he is."

What about the easiest open deep look he ever could've gotten that would've put another TD on the board? 

Wide. Open.

Allen, as per the usual, overthrew him 7-10 yards.

If you can't even hit that deep pass, you can't be expected to hit any. EVER. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Allen wasn't awful; he's usually not. But he's really not progressing at an ideal rate. 

The play that immediately jumps out for me was the decision to airmail it on 3rd and 3 in the third QTR near midfield when he had ALL DAY to throw. Just really awful decision making there.

I think it's perfectly fair to say there are some serious questions as to whether or not he'll get there. Getting into the territory where it's put up or this is "who he is."

This is absolutely right. Today was his 20th start. By the end of this season he will have 27. At that point you have to start to think he will be who he is. The Bills will ride him into 2020 unless he declines (which I think is unlikely) but if this time next year he is still this guy (and I think basically he has plateaued at the moment after showing some progress initially this season) then the Bills need to be ready to move on in 2021. 

Josh is not where we need him to be and I don't think he is where he should be at this point. I think most people agreed before the season that Trubisky 2018 type pace would be satisfactory progress. There were some arguing he was ready to break out a la Goff in 2017. He is short of the first of those at this stage and I am starting to become concerned. He is on notice now. 20 starts in. Clock is beginning to tick. Time for him to step up. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I don't know what to say anymore ...

If what you have seen from Allen makes you happy, you will be thrilled with having most any QB in the league. 

There were defenders of every QB the Bills have trotted out in the past 20 years on this board. It’s always somebody else’s fault. Eventually they see what’s obvious to others a full season before. QB play is an issue.

Im not willing to give up on Allen yet. He’s shown signs of growth in some areas. IMO , he gets this season AND next but it doesn’t mean I have to lie to myself about how well hes’s playing. He is, easily, a bottom 5-7 starting QB.

10 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I feel like we have been down this road before....

They take a guy who is a big arm, high risk/reward player and tell him to play like Tyrod Taylor. You can tell he doesn't trust what he sees. Dabol/McDermott are in his head.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Here's my thought. They are neutering Allen. He's not looking for receivers anymore. He's avoiding inteceptions

They may be neutering him, I agree, but the hero ball he was playing in the first 3 games wasn’t working either. They are trying to find some way to use him effectively.

Either way what does that say about Allen?

16 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

They may be neutering him, I agree, but the hero ball he was playing in the first 3 games wasn’t working either. They are trying to find some way to use him effectively.

Either way what does that say about Allen?

I beg to differ. His hero ball WAS working. (As in winning games.) Because he made more good plays than bad, at least not enough bad plays to lose a game over. Now we get careful Josh and fewer good plays.

My point is he's now afraid to make the throws he used to attempt.

20 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Maybe because the coaches know he's inaccurate and don't want him throwing a bunch of picks.

He wasn't good for most of the game. But he doesn't throw over the middle that much now. He made those throws last year and earlier this year. Now he doesn't trust himself. Coach is in his head.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I beg to differ. His hero ball WAS working. (As in winning games.) Because he made more good plays than bad, at least not enough bad plays to lose a game over. Now we get careful Josh and fewer good plays.

With only 1 INT since the New England game this is just mind boggling.  

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It was working until it wasn’t, Patriots. Literally after the Pats game is when they changed how he played. 

I get that he doesn’t make those throws but my point is does that matter? Are either style of Joshs considered effective QB play? Because I’d he plays hero ball it’s going to bite him in the butt, Patriots. Or if he plays Uber conservative he can’t make plays or throws, though I’d argue he still makes some good throws. 

I think neither are effective long term and maybe it’s time to consider what it really is the Bills have in Josh. I’m not saying give up but he’s needs to take a step otherwise he’s stuck.

3 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Not really, it's pretty apparent the coaches have him reined in totally. And it kinda stinks.

I don't know.  All I see is the really poor decisions are gone.  Some bad decisions still happen sure.  

But he still takes shots....and his avg yard per attempt is still higher than last year.