Some mid-season thoughts re Allen and the team

jahnyc

Some thoughts below.

1.  It is comforting to see Allen showing improvement in his ability to throw the short passes.  He is clearly a work in progress, and he will need to show that he can connect on the long throws like he did last year, but he does seem to be showing that he can get better.  Overall, Allen is a great fit for McD, the team and Buffalo in terms of his work ethic, demeanor and personality, but he will need to continue to improve and show that he can have success throwing the ball when the Bills need it (i.e., when they get behind in games or in a high scoring battle).

2.  Our recent first round picks (Allen, Edmunds and Oliver) were boom or bust types to a degree when drafted, and they all seem to be a work in progress.  I really don't know whether Edmunds is playing well or not.  Does he have the instincts to be the long-term answer at MLB?  Does he move over to OLB if Lorenzo Alexander retires after this season?  Way too early to make judgments about Oliver, but I would like to see more, even in his first year.

3.  While I am not sure that our recent first round picks are fully meeting expectations at this point, particularly given the draft capital used to move up for Allen and Edmunds, I have been impressed with some of the later round picks, including Knox, Sweeney, Darryl Johnson, Siran Neal, Singletary and Taron Johnson.  I am confident in the ability of our front office to identify talent, as noted below.

4.  It has been years since I have felt this way (since Levy, Polian and Butler), but I am really comfortable with McD as our head coach, Beane as our GM and the quality people we have in our front office.  I hope they are here for the long-term, because I believe over time they will build a very strong program (and have already put into place some building blocks).  This team, at least at this point, lacks the circus atmosphere and in-fighting that we seem to be seeing with so many other teams.

5.  I did not understand all of the free agent signings this past off-season for the o-line by the front office.  I understand now with the various injuries, and it is a nice change that the Bills have some depth at the position given where other teams are struggling with injuries to their o-line (as the Bills have in past seasons)  Not sure if all the new players are starting caliber, but, at a minimum, they do seem to be quality depth.

6.  Teams will continue to run the ball on us until we show that we can stop it.  I would expect this from the Browns tomorrow, and we have the Ravens and Steelers upcoming on our schedule.

7.  Next year will be a critical year.  We will have significant cap space, in part because our young players  (i.e., White, Allen, etc.) will still be playing on their rookie contracts.  We will go into next season with fewer needs than this past off season, but you can make the argument that the defense will need some significant upgrades at d-line and linebacker.  A pass rushing end and a run stopping DT should be high on the list.  A number one WR is on the list for the offense. If Brady retires or moves to another team, even better for next season.

8. I don't care that we have had an easy schedule.  We are 6-2, and I am enjoying this season.  We have had to deal with the Pats and Brady for so many years (playing them twice), so there is no reason to apologize for a soft schedule, particularly since the AFC is weak overall this season, and other teams are benefitting from this as well.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Some really well thought out points. I’m really with you on number 4. There are a lot of organizations out there that are just a mess. It’s great to see we have a plan in place with some structure And continuity. . While not perfect I think Sean and Brandon continue to learn from their mistakes. Sean is held in pretty high regard around the league and I hope he’s with us for a long time. I also like knowing we have a young gm who is not afraid to pull off a trade if they think it’s in the best interest of the team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Point 8 is the Gospel. No one ever apologized about notching a W when the beat the Bills.  

3 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Re: 8

Every year some teams get to play a baby soft schedule. That's never us. I'm enjoying it. The Pats have enjoyed almost 20 years of 4 to 6 free AFCE wins on their way to playoffs and Super Bowls. No one says a word. 

Great minds

Edited by BuffaloMatt

42 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

and he will need to show that he can connect on the long throws like he did last year

Josh had exactly FIVE passes above 40 yards last year. There is very little shift in that regard, contrary to the narrative here. 

I do like your list and appreciate the time invested...particularly the last!

• Like (+1) 2

Guess what- things got better when Russ “fox guarding the henhouse” Brandon was shown the door. Everything is beginning to fall into place but were not there yet. We are 1-2 years out imo. 

What is needed- a run stuffing MLB- Edmunds is an OLB all day long. A smash it in between the tackles RB in the mold of Derrick Henry. A get after it elite DE and to round it off an Eric Moulds type receiver. If we can add those pieces and retain the boys we want then our run will start.

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Like (+1) 6

Janhyc-  well written thoughts.  The part about us continuing to get run up the middle is spot on.  Everyone has seen in the league where the Bills are suspect on defense.  It’s very difficult to pass on us and we normally can stop the runs out to the sides.  I trust McD and Frasier as they probably have been working non-stop at making changes.  The teams you mentioned doesn’t even come close to wha.t Wlliot’s going to do us on Thanksgiving.

• Like (+1) 2

...disagree with "boom or bust" label......what 1st rounder comes with a warranty or "money back guarantee"?....that label woefully under estimates the transition form collegiate ranks to NFL....1,696 are "privileged" annually out of how many?.....

2.  Our recent first round picks (Allen, Edmunds and Oliver) were boom or bust types to a degree when drafted, and they all seem to be a work in progress.  I really don't know whether Edmunds is playing well or not.  Does he have the instincts to be the long-term answer at MLB?  Does he move over to OLB if Lorenzo Alexander retires after this season?  Way too early to make judgments about Oliver, but I would like to see more, even in his first year.

...I certainly agree on the Allen progress....1st round rooks get a VERY short porch in "TBD Land" and they know best (COUGH)......why would the kid continually work closely with Palmer ON HIS TIME if he didn't feel he needs major improvement?......wouldn't a smug diva (no need to mention names) say, "I'm good enough"?......in deference to NOT derailing the thread. I''ll leave the "Daboll Debate" for another time elsewhere regarding regarding proper utilization of players, game planning to play to personnel strengths.....

1.  It is comforting to see Allen showing improvement in his ability to throw the short passes.  He is clearly a work in progress, and he will need to show that he can connect on the long throws like he did last year, but he does seem to be showing that he can get better.  Overall, Allen is a great fit for McD, the team and Buffalo in terms of his work ethic, demeanor and personality, but he will need to continue to improve and show that he can have success throwing the ball when the Bills need it (i.e., when they get behind in games or in a high scoring battle).

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...disagree with "boom or bust" label......what 1st rounder comes with a warranty or "money back guarantee"?....that label woefully under estimates the transition form collegiate ranks to NFL....1,696 are "privileged" annually out of how many?.....

...I certainly agree on the Allen progress....1st round rooks get a VERY short porch in "TBD Land" and they know best (COUGH)......why would the kid continually work closely with Palmer ON HIS TIME if he didn't feel he needs major improvement?......wouldn't a smug diva (no need to mention names) say, "I'm good enough"?......in deference to NOT derailing the thread. I''ll leave the "Daboll Debate" for another time elsewhere regarding regarding proper utilization of players, game planning to play to personnel strengths.....

FWIW I think the "boom or bust" label is that Beane's first round picks, including Allen, Edmunds, and Oliver,  were evaluated pre-draft as having exceptionally high ceilings due to athleticism, but had known gaps in their game to date which made them riskier than some other choices.  I think it's a fair label, and the jury is still out on all 3.  All have shown promise, and all have shown gaps in their game that they seem to be working hard to fill.

Beane wants to build a "great" team, and starting from a 9-7 record the first year, he had to take some risks.  If they don't work, he'll figure out something else.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW I think the "boom or bust" label is that Beane's first round picks, including Allen, Edmunds, and Oliver,  were evaluated pre-draft as having exceptionally high ceilings due to athleticism, but had known gaps in their game to date which made them riskier than some other choices.  I think it's a fair label, and the jury is still out on all 3.  All have shown promise, and all have shown gaps in their game that they seem to be working hard to fill.

Beane wants to build a "great" team, and starting from a 9-7 record the first year, he had to take some risks.  If they don't work, he'll figure out something else.

...so then if I understand you correctly bud, noting jury is "still out", we are nowhere near the definitive assigning of A LABEL just yet, correct?...if "evaluations pre-draft as having exceptionally high ceilings due to athleticism" came with a warranty or money back guarantee, "bust" nomenclature NEVER exists...will always be a paralysis by analysis crap shoot IMO....

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Re: 8

Every year some teams get to play a baby soft schedule. That's never us. I'm enjoying it. The Pats have enjoyed almost 20 years of 4 to 6 free AFCE wins on their way to playoffs and Super Bowls. No one says a word. 

The Ravens really exposed the Pats. I am not as worried about them as I used to be. The Pats are just ripe for an early exit from the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so then if I understand you correctly bud, noting jury is "still out", we are nowhere near the definitive assigning of A LABEL just yet, correct?...if "evaluations pre-draft as having exceptionally high ceilings due to athleticism" came with a warranty or money back guarantee, "bust" nomenclature NEVER exists...will always be a paralysis by analysis crap shoot IMO....

I'm struggling to parse this. 

Are you asserting that I claim "bust" doesn't exist? 

Or are you agreeing that with 1st or 2nd year players who were drafted as known projects with high ceiling, halfway through their 1st or 2nd season is too early to apply it?

15 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

The Ravens really exposed the Pats. I am not as worried about them as I used to be. The Pats are just ripe for an early exit from the playoffs.

I’d love to see the early exit , as it would make for a much more enjoyable NFL playoff experience. The Ravens May have exposed the Pats , but I’m not sure many teams can take advantage of it. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

I’d love to see the early exit , as it would make for a much more enjoyable NFL playoff experience. The Ravens May have exposed the Pats , but I’m not sure many teams can take advantage of it. 

Yeah...your right. I thought about that. The Bills exposed them too, but if the Pats catch some team playing inspired football...I don't know, I just have a feeling.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm struggling to parse this. 

Are you asserting that I claim "bust" doesn't exist? 

Or are you agreeing that with 1st or 2nd year players who were drafted as known projects with high ceiling, halfway through their 1st or 2nd season is too early to apply it?

...we agree 138% on this.......the acclimation process depends on the individual versus where they were drafted.......coaching and surrounding personnel are also significant factors IMO....sadly, you and I are well as others know the label BUST exists.....as I have previously said, invent the "Head 'N Heart Meter" and you'll be a billionaire overnight....what is in a draftee's head and heart?.....cash and coast?......love for the game wanting to be the best ever at his position?.....who knows.....clubs (I think) do their best effort with due diligence only to be rewarded for their efforts or to be woefully disappointed...nature of the beast......

• Like (+1) 1