Skurski: Star Lotulelei's Fine With Bearing Brunt of Criticism For Bills Struggles Against Run

Thurman#1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

My lying eyes are deceiving me the. I do not see star taking on 2 blockers

i trust McD though

Spot on. Folks like to talk like Star is “eating” up multiple blockers on a regular basis. Show me the baby. I don’t see it. If it’s happening it’s rare. 

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

i trust McD though

John, you’re a good dude and great fan.  But it doesn’t make you less of a fan if you disagree with the team or coach occasionally. You don’t have to blindly trust everything the team does.  They aren’t infallible. 

5 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Spot on. Folks like to talk like Star is “eating” up multiple blockers on a regular basis. Show me the baby. I don’t see it. If it’s happening it’s rare. 

And yeah if you spend big money on a guy who’s sole still is being good against the run and your run defense sucks, he deserves criticism.  

guy would be the world’s greatest bouncer though.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

i trust McD though

He does, and does it competently.  But that’s the extent of it, because he’s not agile or aware enough to make a better play if needed.  

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

John, you’re a good dude and great fan.  But it doesn’t make you less of a fan if you disagree with the team or coach occasionally. You don’t have to blindly trust everything the team does.  They aren’t infallible. 

And yeah if you spend big money on a guy who’s sole still is being good against the run and your run defense sucks, he deserves criticism.  

guy would be the world’s greatest bouncer though.

It just drives me nuts when I see star in the backfield but lacks the Athletism to actually the play he will fly right by and hopefully someone else cleans it up

I'll be honest... I have no idea if he's been good or not

I don't really pay attention to him during the game. But the greatest defense of all time (anyone who says otherwise is just a hater, I read it here) just gave up 30 pts and tons of yards on the ground to Baltimore so I'm not going to freak out about a problem the defense had for about 5 quarters

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Is Star worth the money they're paying him. Probably not? But I think the issues that fans like me have with him is he doesn't do anything extra beyond just standing there and taking on the double.  Just once I wanna see him maybe get a sack? Just once I wanna see him maybe roll off a block and get a tackle? People who get paid handsomely an above avg contract need to sometimes perform above avg.

I want to see that too. Once he is engaged with a blocker he treats that as job done. He doesn't fight to get off those blocks and make a difference. 

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

If you recall during the signing many "pundits" pointed out that Star's numbers were declining and his effectiveness was deteriorating in his last few years at Carolina. I didn't pay it much mind but I have to admit they may have been right. So maybe we shouldn't be surprised he is the way he is. He's clearly one-dimensional and just not worth the money. I'm not saying  others aren't contributing to this poor run defense. It's just that he's supposed to be the big space-eater and occupy multiple blockers, keep our linebackers clean, and a push the pocket guy. And that just ain't the case.

...all valid points IMO.....perhaps McBeane leaned a bit too heavily on the Carolina Connection for reasons unbeknown to us......

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I want to see that too. Once he is engaged with a blocker he treats that as job done. He doesn't fight to get off those blocks and make a difference. 

it does seem that way.

One of my peeves is when we discuss what a player is paid and then hold him accountable.
or his draft.
 If there is an issue it is with McBeanes.

and to that point.. Bills needed a  1 tech in the middle to run that defense on early downs. Did they choose the wrong guy to pay?

Probably. and more certainly looking at it with today's view points Bills could do better. Seems they are making some changes to resolve the issue.

I do watch the lines as best as i am able and Star does get turned, and needs to add some hustle to his game.
Continuous improvement means that Bills need to improve what Star is giving them against the run , and perhaps pass.

One of the things to note is that Morse ( being a smaller cerebral guy) get blown off the ball sometimes. That is what Bills need from the Tackles even in run defense.

some sincere push
gap control is swell when it works. but fo LBs to sort out

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It just drives me nuts when I see star in the backfield but lacks the Athletism to actually the play he will fly right by and hopefully someone else cleans it up

This does seem to happen a lot. I noticed a couple times vs WAS Star was in pursuit of Peterson and got close but made no effort at all to tackle him. Star deserves some heat, but the more I watch the more it looks like Edmunds is a real problem with the Bills run D. Milano has made a lot of mistakes recently as well. 

2 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

So basically the article is a confirmation of ... the vast majority of fans don't really know what they are looking at and why things happen the way they do out there on the field. Myself included at times. :)

Correct. Not you necessarily, but the vast majority of fans don’t know what they’re looking at.

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

This does seem to happen a lot. I noticed a couple times vs WAS Star was in pursuit of Peterson and got close but made no effort at all to tackle him. Star deserves some heat, but the more I watch the more it looks like Edmunds is a real problem with the Bills run D. Milano has made a lot of mistakes recently as well. 

when we fans focus on one player we lose context.
not to defend anyone. but easy to understand a gap control  defense is left filled bt Star etc ,  and another  left to be filled by a LB or box safety.
Edmunds is a guy whom i watch too much.

and yes i question him at MLB right now. he is pass coverage and outside pursuit awesome. Playing downhill? not so much yet

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

i trust McD though

Those lying eyes  :

: )

1 hour ago, Chill said:

He should bear the brunt. The guy is constantly out of position and his lack of effort is apparent...

he is not out of position at all

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Correct. Not you necessarily, but the vast majority of fans don’t know what they’re looking at.

HEY i know you are talking to me as i am one of  The  Vast Majority

• Haha (+1) 1