Skurski: Star Lotulelei's Fine With Bearing Brunt of Criticism For Bills Struggles Against Run

Thurman#1

Star's pay scale is not the problem, the problem is he gets pushed backwards more times then not (And yes I know you can't maintain the block every time), he is supposed to be the guy to maintain or take up a guy to free the LB's to get to the ball carrier or QB . If he's getting manhandled to the point that he's not freeing up that LB, that's when you start to take notice. And to say the DL is fine? They signed Star Louteleilei in FA, drafted a DT 9th overall, added Jordan Phillips off waivers and now signed FA Corey Liuget, that doesn't seem fine imo. If he was doing his job what would be the reason they sign Liguet when they brought up Vincent from the practice squad? All signs point to Star not maintaining his block long enough or not at all and Oliver can't get to the QB. That's not a whipping boy it's a legit concern but again these are my own opinions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

i can tell that the message board hasn't gotten over the Philly loss yet. I think defensive playcalling has much to do with how we lost that game. NFL defenses have become homogenized in their playcalling since the liberalization of the pass rules. Basically, defenses will let you do what you want between the 20s as long as they don't surrender the big pass play. On the big run in question we were clearly in pass D and I believe Philly audibled a run call catching us flat footed. 

Other than this play I don't see a lot of reason to pile on Star. Our defenses are bend but don't break between the 20s.

11 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Star's pay scale is not the problem, the problem is he gets pushed backwards more times then not (And yes I know you can't maintain the block every time), he is supposed to be the guy to maintain or take up a guy to free the LB's to get to the ball carrier or QB . If he's getting manhandled to the point that he's not freeing up that LB, that's when you start to take notice. And to say the DL is fine? They signed Star Louteleilei in FA, drafted a DT 9th overall, added Jordan Phillips off waivers and now signed FA Corey Liuget, that doesn't seem fine imo. If he was doing his job what would be the reason they sign Liguet when they brought up Vincent from the practice squad? All signs point to Star not maintaining his block long enough or not at all and Oliver can't get to the QB. That's not a whipping boy it's a legit concern but again these are my own opinions.

well said

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

i can tell that the message board hasn't gotten over the Philly loss yet. I think defensive playcalling has much to do with how we lost that game. NFL defenses have become homogenized in their playcalling since the liberalization of the pass rules. Basically, defenses will let you do what you want between the 20s as long as they don't surrender the big pass play. On the big run in question we were clearly in pass D and I believe Philly audibled a run call catching us flat footed. 

Other than this play I don't see a lot of reason to pile on Star. Our defenses are bend but don't break between the 20s.

good point about how Bills play D.

It was Poyer or Hyde who said , their job is to keep all plays in front of them and never allow the big play.
This is why they need a pass rush and smart LB'ing

On 11/10/2019 at 3:05 PM, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

If that were true, that he gets pushed back more often than not, than he would indeed be a major problem.

Thing is, that's not what's happening. What's happening is that the Bills have made it very very clear that while he's not perfect, he's successfully doing what they want him to do.

He's not doing what some fans want, but he is satisfying the Bills. Which is the important thing.

Liuget is apparently replacing Peko, so Star has nothing to do with that signing. Jordan Phillips and Oliver are 3-techs. They play a different position than Lotulelei. If bringing in four guys to fill two positions that your head coach has a history of platooning heavily doesn't make sense to you, you need to understand that the coach isn't handling things the way you would like. But considering he has an extremely impressive history of running successful defenses and is currently running a defense that's third in both yards and points, maybe things are going just the way they should be ... on defense at least. Especially when the defense is only counting $75 mill against the cap this year. That's cheap.

Again, the problem really isn't the defense. They're playing very well. The problem is the offense.

Edited by Thurman#1