Overtime thought

Just Jack

Overtime change?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a 7 on 7 OT?

• Yes
    • No

Coin toss is STILL far too influential in determining the winner of an overtime game. It's better than it was when a FG ended the game, but the team that wins the toss is still at a distinct advantage.

Whether you like the college format or not, there's no denying it's far more equitable.

5 hours ago, wagon127 said:

But the team that won was never put in a situation to give up a TD because of a coin. 

And they are forced to play offense.

Look, you aren't going to convince me. I believe offense and defense are both equally important. Lose the coin flip? Play defense or lose the game. If you can't do it, tough. Should have beaten them in regulation. Win the coin flip? Go score a TD. If you can't get it done, tough.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Coin toss is STILL far too influential in determining the winner of an overtime game. It's better than it was when a FG ended the game, but the team that wins the toss is still at a distinct advantage.

Whether you like the college format or not, there's no denying it's far more equitable.

In the NFL, 52.7 percent of teams winning the overtime coin toss (and receiving) win the game at some point in overtime, according to Ross Tucker of SiriusXM NFL Radio. In college football, the team that wins the coin toss (and defers) wins 54.9 percent of the time.

So your claim is bogus. In the NFL you gain a very slight advantage by getting the ball first, and in college you get a slight advantage for deferring.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, wagon127 said:

Why do both teams get a chance to score in baseball, but not football?

In baseball you can't score on defense or kicking teams

There was a gAme a few years ago where a team won by getting a safety. I  think it was Cincinnati that lost that one.

11 hours ago, MJS said:

In the NFL, 52.7 percent of teams winning the overtime coin toss (and receiving) win the game at some point in overtime, according to Ross Tucker of SiriusXM NFL Radio. In college football, the team that wins the coin toss (and defers) wins 54.9 percent of the time.

So your claim is bogus. 

Solid info. Weird flex for a thread about overtime rules. You gotta lot of passion my man! Harness that.