Sign in to follow this  
Just Jack

Overtime thought

Overtime change?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a 7 on 7 OT?

• Yes
    • No

It will never happen, but wish we went back to the old way in first score wins and go back to 15 minutes.  We’re not even close to as long as college football games.

• Like (+1) 1

One thing I know for sure is watching the NFL as it is now - is not near as enjoyable as it once was for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Why not 4 like we used to play on the street under the light?

Brought back great memories.

Wintertime when streets weren't plowed for hours, sometimes a day after a heavy snowfall and cars packed the snow to near ice like conditions on our dead end street.....tackle football in the street.

Another youth street playing memory when they came out with the street hockey ball replacing the too bouncy tennis ball. Lots of guys didn't want to play goalie anymore with just a baseball and hockey glove.

Those orange street hockey balls were lethal and worse in the cold.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

How about a tiddlywink contest?

I am sure the NFLPA would object without higher percentage of gross and have very strict practice rules.

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I know I'm in the minority but I'm all for sudden death in football. 

It it would have to be full OT not sudden death

the other option...have OT carry over from the 4th quarter.  If it’s a tied game with a minute left the team with the ball can do a normal drive and thrn carry over to OT and settle it then .

or

Home field advantage means home team gets the choice of ball first.

Edited by djp14150

Sure, why not do something crazy?  

First, in the NFL, OT doesn't happen all that often.

Second, when it does, the entire objective is to find a winner to the game, not continue playing indefinitely.  They've already played a full game.

What makes 3 on 3 hockey fun is that there is so much room out there and not enough players to go around.  One quick mistake and an odd man rush breaks out or a breakaway.  It's exciting as hell.

7 on 7 football would create tons of space tons of pressure on players not to screw up, and huge game breaking plays, which is what fans enjoy watching.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Puke emoji.

Why do both teams get a chance to score in baseball, but not football?

1 minute ago, wagon127 said:

I don't give a crap about baseball.

What’s the last major change that made the game better? Just leave it alone. It’s already on the ropes.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I don't give a crap about baseball.

I imagine you give a crap when a team your cheering for doesnt get a chance to score in over time. People will say, why didnt the losing team's defense make a stop. But the winning team's defense was never asked to make a stop. So if you have two strong offenses, you literally just desided a game with a coin flip. Im sorry, sudden death only works in hockey and soccer.

58 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

I imagine you give a crap when a team your cheering for doesnt get a chance to score in over time. People will say, why didnt the losing team's defense make a stop. But the winning team's defense was never asked to make a stop. So if you have two strong offenses, you literally just desided a game with a coin flip. Im sorry, sudden death only works in hockey and soccer.

No. I say "my team should have played defense".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

No. I say "my team should have played defense".

See we agree. Both defenses should have to play overtime, before determining a winner.

6 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

See we agree. Both defenses should have to play overtime, before determining a winner.

No, I don't agree. If a team gives up a TD in overtime, they deserve to lose. Period.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

No, I don't agree. If a team gives up a TD in overtime, they deserve to lose. Period.

But the team that won was never put in a situation to give up a TD because of a coin. 

• Like (+1) 1

When I seen the thread/ vote title I was thinking hmmm, interesting, 2 extra goal scorers on the ice, it might work. 

Edited by Figster

Coin toss is STILL far too influential in determining the winner of an overtime game. It's better than it was when a FG ended the game, but the team that wins the toss is still at a distinct advantage.

Whether you like the college format or not, there's no denying it's far more equitable.

5 hours ago, wagon127 said:

But the team that won was never put in a situation to give up a TD because of a coin. 

And they are forced to play offense.

Look, you aren't going to convince me. I believe offense and defense are both equally important. Lose the coin flip? Play defense or lose the game. If you can't do it, tough. Should have beaten them in regulation. Win the coin flip? Go score a TD. If you can't get it done, tough.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Coin toss is STILL far too influential in determining the winner of an overtime game. It's better than it was when a FG ended the game, but the team that wins the toss is still at a distinct advantage.

Whether you like the college format or not, there's no denying it's far more equitable.

In the NFL, 52.7 percent of teams winning the overtime coin toss (and receiving) win the game at some point in overtime, according to Ross Tucker of SiriusXM NFL Radio. In college football, the team that wins the coin toss (and defers) wins 54.9 percent of the time.

So your claim is bogus. In the NFL you gain a very slight advantage by getting the ball first, and in college you get a slight advantage for deferring.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Skeptical 1

11 hours ago, wagon127 said:

In baseball you can't score on defense or kicking teams

There was a gAme a few years ago where a team won by getting a safety. I  think it was Cincinnati that lost that one.

11 hours ago, MJS said:

In the NFL, 52.7 percent of teams winning the overtime coin toss (and receiving) win the game at some point in overtime, according to Ross Tucker of SiriusXM NFL Radio. In college football, the team that wins the coin toss (and defers) wins 54.9 percent of the time.

So your claim is bogus. 

Solid info. Weird flex for a thread about overtime rules. You gotta lot of passion my man! Harness that.