Overtime thought

Just Jack

Overtime change?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a 7 on 7 OT?

• Yes
    • No

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I know I'm in the minority but I'm all for sudden death in football. 

it was a minuscule edge to the team that win the toss over those many years

its the effect of crybabies only remembering OT losses that made sudden death bad, the opposite of them only remembering gambling wins

the effect that when I state that men ON AVERAGE are taller than women, and someone says that Carol is taller than Bob, and the math illiterates think my comment is now destroyed 

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, wagon127 said:

Hockey is the only sport that should have sudden death overtime. Football should have something similar to college overtime, just have them start at their own 25, not the opponents 25.

1 hour ago, Luka said:

College rules. Nothing more exciting in sports in my opinion.

Puke emoji.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Why not 4 like we used to play on the street under the light?

Brought back great memories.

Wintertime when streets weren't plowed for hours, sometimes a day after a heavy snowfall and cars packed the snow to near ice like conditions on our dead end street.....tackle football in the street.

Another youth street playing memory when they came out with the street hockey ball replacing the too bouncy tennis ball. Lots of guys didn't want to play goalie anymore with just a baseball and hockey glove.

Those orange street hockey balls were lethal and worse in the cold.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I know I'm in the minority but I'm all for sudden death in football. 

It it would have to be full OT not sudden death

the other option...have OT carry over from the 4th quarter.  If it’s a tied game with a minute left the team with the ball can do a normal drive and thrn carry over to OT and settle it then .

or

Home field advantage means home team gets the choice of ball first.

Edited by djp14150

Sure, why not do something crazy?  

First, in the NFL, OT doesn't happen all that often.

Second, when it does, the entire objective is to find a winner to the game, not continue playing indefinitely.  They've already played a full game.

What makes 3 on 3 hockey fun is that there is so much room out there and not enough players to go around.  One quick mistake and an odd man rush breaks out or a breakaway.  It's exciting as hell.

7 on 7 football would create tons of space tons of pressure on players not to screw up, and huge game breaking plays, which is what fans enjoy watching.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I don't give a crap about baseball.

I imagine you give a crap when a team your cheering for doesnt get a chance to score in over time. People will say, why didnt the losing team's defense make a stop. But the winning team's defense was never asked to make a stop. So if you have two strong offenses, you literally just desided a game with a coin flip. Im sorry, sudden death only works in hockey and soccer.

58 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

I imagine you give a crap when a team your cheering for doesnt get a chance to score in over time. People will say, why didnt the losing team's defense make a stop. But the winning team's defense was never asked to make a stop. So if you have two strong offenses, you literally just desided a game with a coin flip. Im sorry, sudden death only works in hockey and soccer.

No. I say "my team should have played defense".

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

See we agree. Both defenses should have to play overtime, before determining a winner.

No, I don't agree. If a team gives up a TD in overtime, they deserve to lose. Period.

• Like (+1) 1