What kind of place do members want The Stadium Wall to be?

What kind of place do members want The Stadium Wall to be?  

187 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Stadium Wall forum allow topics and posts that are critical of the Bills?

• Yes. Both favorable and critical comments and topics should be welcome here.
    • No. If you want to criticize the Bills, go someplace else.

12 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Agreed. It isn’t enough to verbally shame idiots, I want a tangible demonstration.

Beat me to it...

We were too busy ignoring you to tell you about it...

See ... That's what I'm talking about, the just plain bizarre

35 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Having a comment deleted is what I consider a "favor."  Many of us cross the line sometimes.  Sometimes we regret it the next day; sometimes we don't.  What's cool is that we have the ability to moderate ourselves.  We can delete any comments we make and we can delete any threads we create.  I've done both.  I've also had comments vanish from thin air.  Sometimes I knew why; other times I didn't.  If I didn't, I'd ask in a PM.

Most times it just boils down to common sense.

I would estimate that I have personally deleted my own posts after the fact, or aborted mid post more often than not.

Usually because I'm scared of DCTom and I am not very good at debate.

Kinda like this post....proof reading makes me wonder about my grammer....I dont want to appear like  dumb Okie,  lol.

Go Bills. 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

There was a guy here once who liked to say

More insight, less incite

you can follow that posters lead.  

he took a permanent leave from the board.  
(along with his incite) 

Took, or got? 

50 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

I didn't claim they shouldn't be deleted. I merely pointed out to the poster that said "Posts aren't deleted" that in fact, they are deleted. What is confusing about that?

In fact, Chandler just deleted a post where I made him look foolish. 

Be careful with that, you will end up banned...

30 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

❤️ u bb

great, now I owe @Gugny $5. I bet him you wouldn't get the irony.

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

There was a guy here once who liked to say

More insight, less incite

you can follow that posters lead.  

he took a permanent leave from the board.  
(along with his incite) 

You've taken up the mantle quite admirably!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, fansince88 said:

Yes, but more often or not they just get locked. Im talking whole threads.

Threads people start get deleted sometimes.  Depends on the content. ?  A tour of the mod's deleted content section could be eye-popping.  And some of the PM's we get ??.

I look at 90% of what I do as a mod being aimed at 2 broad goals:

1) preserve the quality of the board

2) maximize and encourage football discussion

The other 10% is posting, 'cuz I like to talk about football too ?

The board has advertising support under certain guidelines that pays or helps pay for good servers.  So T&A pics, vulgar talk etc are "No".  Abusive language and insults get deleted or edited, because what folks learn from seeing them left there is "that's how people talk to each other here".  Ahhh, that would be "No". 

Politics tend to be a volatile issue, where even a glancing reference or politically-charged insult can flare up into a political insult-fest, so it has its place and TSW isn't it.

We get all sorts here who don't necessarily declare themselves - we've had players and former players here in the past, players family, may still (though I think our current coaches tend to really encourage the current guys and their fams to leave social media of all sorts alone).  We have more women than most people realize 'cuz many of them keep a low profile.  A certain amount of bro talk is chill, just stop short of demeaning.   Try to keep the convo within some fairly wide bounds of civility. 

And yeah, News Flash: Mods miss stuff.  Mods don't read every post, even in threads that we're participating in.  Reporting does help.  I told a guy who said "no I won't report" "don't rule it out, but you'll know the need for it when you really see it".  The answer to "why are you warning me when Beetlebreath over there said worse?" is "maybe we didn't see what Beetlebreath said, but I'm talking to you right now".

As far as encouraging football convo - sometimes I delete posts that are just personal bickering back and forth because they're threatening to swamp out good convo on a thread.   Sometimes it takes over and the thread just gets closed as off topic. It's 100% a mod judgement call and I'm sure we (I) get it wrong sometimes.   It's a lot of work to clean up a thread so it's more likely to happen for a hot topic that will get multiple new threads started if it's closed, or if it's a unique point of view and there's already a bunch of good discussion. 

This thread would be an example.  It's had some good meta-discussion that I think is worth seeing - that overwhelmingly, folks here think it's OK to criticize the team, but how you do it does matter.  Be smart, don't just be "he sucks" and don't just repeat the same thing over and over and over and over and over without new data or a new line of argument.

Like I explained to one guy in PM, I try to let people know if I'm deleting or editing posts and why.  In PM initially; as warnings if they're repeat offenders or it's bad enough or if they've been Richards to me in PM or on the board.  (I try not to hold grudges, but life is too short to let crap into my personal space.  If the subject or content of your PM is insulting, you're not gonna get far).  The thing is at "hot" times or on a "hot" thread, there's no time for reaching out to everyone involved so stuff just .... happens.

This got longer than I thought. I hope the insight into the thought process of one mod is useful.  The Mods definitely are not a "hive mind", we do see things differently.  But we all work with the same two broad goals.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

Took, or got? 

left on his own is my best guess

the theories are abundant as to why 

he won’t answer anyone that had reached out to him 

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

great, now I owe @Gugny $5. I bet him you wouldn't get the irony.

You've taken up the mantle quite admirably!

ummm. Should I take that as a compliment??

?

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Threads people start get deleted sometimes.  Depends on the content. ?  A tour of the mod's deleted content section could be eye-popping.  And some of the PM's we get ??.

I look at 90% of what I do as a mod being aimed at 2 broad goals:

1) preserve the quality of the board

2) maximize and encourage football discussion

The other 10% is posting, 'cuz I like to talk about football too ?

The board has advertising support under certain guidelines that pays or helps pay for good servers.  So T&A pics, vulgar talk etc are "No".  Abusive language and insults get deleted or edited, because what folks learn from seeing them left there is "that's how people talk to each other here".  Ahhh, that would be "No". 

Politics tend to be a volatile issue, where even a glancing reference or politically-charged insult can flare up into a political insult-fest, so it has its place and TSW isn't it.

We get all sorts here who don't necessarily declare themselves - we've had players and former players here in the past, players family, may still (though I think our current coaches tend to really encourage the current guys and their fams to leave social media of all sorts alone).  We have more women than most people realize 'cuz many of them keep a low profile.  A certain amount of bro talk is chill, just stop short of demeaning.   Try to keep the convo within some fairly wide bounds of civility. 

And yeah, News Flash: Mods miss stuff.  Mods don't read every post, even in threads that we're participating in.  Reporting does help.  I told a guy who said "no I won't report" "don't rule it out, but you'll know the need for it when you really see it".  The answer to "why are you warning me when Beetlebreath over there said worse?" is "maybe we didn't see what Beetlebreath said, but I'm talking to you right now".

As far as encouraging football convo - sometimes I delete posts that are just personal bickering back and forth because they're threatening to swamp out good convo on a thread.   Sometimes it takes over and the thread just gets closed as off topic. It's 100% a mod judgement call and I'm sure we (I) get it wrong sometimes.   It's a lot of work to clean up a thread so it's more likely to happen for a hot topic that will get multiple new threads started if it's closed, or if it's a unique point of view and there's already a bunch of good discussion. 

This thread would be an example.  It's had some good meta-discussion that I think is worth seeing - that overwhelmingly, folks here think it's OK to criticize the team, but how you do it does matter.  Be smart, don't just be "he sucks" and don't just repeat the same thing over and over and over and over and over without new data or a new line of argument.

Like I explained to one guy in PM, I try to let people know if I'm deleting or editing posts and why.  In PM initially; as warnings if they're repeat offenders or it's bad enough or if they've been Richards to me in PM or on the board.  (I try not to hold grudges, but life is too short to let crap into my personal space.  If the subject or content of your PM is insulting, you're not gonna get far).  The thing is at "hot" times or on a "hot" thread, there's no time for reaching out to everyone involved so stuff just .... happens.

This got longer than I thought. I hope the insight into the thought process of one mod is useful.  The Mods definitely are not a "hive mind", we do see things differently.  But we all work with the same two broad goals.

Actually  Hap, that was great insight. Wel worth the tie it took you to write it and the time it took me to read it. I do my best to keep my posts within my own moral values, keep politics out of it (never useful). Although I always have realized your jobs are time consuming this was insightful to say the least. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Thing that bothers me the most is if you don’t have a rosy view you welcome snide and pompous retorts from message board heroes. These same fans turn into the whiniest babies after a loss when things don’t go their way. I’m not a myopic troll, I predicted 11-5 but I also predicted an Eagles loss and was treated like I was the biggest troll for it. I also don’t think this Browns game will be a walk in the park but we should sneak out a victory. Anyways, some folks get caught up in the whole reputation game, they want likes and what not so their words are like honey when it comes to anything Bills related, but me I just try to stay objective and say what I think. Anyways, I’ll probably just continue to post less and less *insert insult here*.

57 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

I didn't claim they shouldn't be deleted. I merely pointed out to the poster that said "Posts aren't deleted" that in fact, they are deleted. What is confusing about that?

Posts do get deleted.  Confirmed.  Happy now?

57 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

In fact, Chandler just deleted a post where I made him look foolish. 

Here's where I hear Aretha Franklin tuning up in the background.  R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Mods are volunteers.  We put time into this basically to "give back" for enjoying the board for many years and to keep it an enjoyable place.

You guys have no idea what this place would look like without the mods.  NO idea.  And in PM we get crap, we get insults, we get filth spewed, we get threats.  Yes, there are fellow sentient humans who think it's jolly to threaten a mod and family.  Over interactions on a bulletin board.  Seriously?  End of the World Predicted, News at 11.

And that's us.  SDS shares some gems from his email with us mods sometimes.  Yowza.

So why should we put up with being publicly disrespected on the board?  If you're debating with me on a football point and I'm wrong, I'll admit it and belly up for my plate of crow.  If you want to take an insulting poke at me or a fellow mod in public for being a Mod, No.  Just.....No.  Out of Bounds.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1