TNF - Chargers & Raiders

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Thoughts on this game:

- PFT did a skit yesterday on which of these two Quarterbacks was more likely to be back with their team next year and at the time I thought.... "duh, both of them." You know what, PFT might be onto something....

PFT has been strongly hinting for a while that there might be a very good likelihood we see Rivers in Nashville next year.  From what I've gathered, it might be a "trade me or I retire" move.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

24 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No we all got your point about that darned “prevent defense” DCs employ to allow the opposing team to retake a late lead.  

Strangely, you left out the part where the chargers got the ball back on their own 25 with just over a minute and only needed to get in FG range .  Instead Rivers went:

incompletion

incompletion

incompletion

incompletion (10 yard Defensive penalty:1st down)

incompletion

incompletion

incompletion

interception.

You “obviously missed” that.

It felt like Rivers and the LAC thought they needed a TD didn't it?  You got one of the best FG kickers in the league, get the 35yds and go home.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

PFT has been strongly hinting for a while that there might be a very good likelihood we see Rivers in Nashville next year.  From what I've gathered, he has zero interest in moving to Las Vegas and it might be a "Trade me or I retire" move.

Why would Rivers have to move to Vegas?

52 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

It felt like Rivers and the LAC thought they needed a TD didn't it?  You got one of the best FG kickers in the league, get the 35yds and go home.

they had all 3 TO's, and nearly let the play clock run out on a couple of crucial plays. Very odd series. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, njbuff said:

What mistake did they make?

cutting his salary causing someone who needs stability to have a mental breakdown and then not helping him and letting him go to another team. Ritchie is one of the best guards in the NFL and it was dumb on there part to get rid of him, he would be our best Olinemen right now.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I still don't know what the heck happened there.  He agrees to the pay cut and then retires due to health concerns.  He then says that the pay cut is BS and throws a weight at a guy for being on his playground at the gym.  He then wanted the funeral home to cut his dead father's head off.  Now he's back to being an above average guard for the Raiders.  I'm thinking there was a medicine dosage problem.

its obvious Ritchie has mental issues and i think he felt betrayed by the paycut when he deserved a raise and probably bought into the culture and process but this team did everything thing they could to get rid of whaley players when the time arose , except for a few select players. Ritchie needed stability and when that was taken away he lost it.

• Haha (+1) 1

Go ahead and laugh 808, but hear me out.

The reason the Chargers lost is because Phillip Rivers started out turning the football over and continued too til the bitter end (probably of their season).  And Chuckie was coming after  him because everyone knows he's a statue back there with great success. 

They were within 3 in the 2nd half.  Stop the bleeding.  The run game was working.  They got 146 yards on the ground in the game.  On one of their best drives they ran on almost every play.  #24 and #25 were gashing the Raiders.

With the season on the line, why not put in a QB that does not turn the football over and can evade pressure?  Let him hand off a lot and drop back on some plays and take off running when they come after him. 

It amazes me that NFL coaches would rather go down with the ship with a QB having a bad game.  If the punt returner muffs one, they put someone else back there.  You could do the same with QB.

Besides that, historically when it's all the on the line, Rivers is at his worst as we saw last night.

Edited by reddogblitz

Just now, reddogblitz said:

Go ahead and laugh 808, but hear me out.

The reason the Chargers lost is because Phillip Rivers started out turning the football over and continued too til the bitter end (probably of their season).  And Chuckie was coming after  him because everyone knows he's a statue back there with great success. 

They were within 3 in the 2nd half.  Stop the bleeding.  The run game was working.  They got 146 yards on the ground in the game.  On one of their best drives they ran on almost every play.

With the season on the line, why not put in a QB that does not turn the football over and can evade pressure?  Let him hand off a lot and drop back on some plays and take of running when they come after him.  #24 and #25 were gashing the Raiders.

It amazes me that NFL coaches would rather go down with the ship with a QB having a bad game.  If the punt returner muffs one, they put someone else back there.  You could do the same with QB.

Besides that, historically when it's all the on the line, Rivers is at his worst as we saw last night.

You could have saved yourself a lot of time by simply typing, "I LOVE TYROD!"

There is no circumstance under which Philip Rivers would EVER be benched in favor of Tyrod ***** Taylor.

I watched this game last night.

My 2 main observations were: 1) Rivers has that freaking crazy delivery when he throws the ball.  It looks like he is trying to chuck a hand grenade.  I am not surprised it sometimes goes nowhere close to where he is trying to put it.  Has one of the worst natural throwing motions I've ever seen.

2) Those San Diego uniforms are great.  Love 'em.

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You could have saved yourself a lot of time by simply typing, "I LOVE TYROD!"

There is no circumstance under which Philip Rivers would EVER be benched in favor of Tyrod ***** Taylor.

You could have saved yourself some time and just responded with "I HATE TYROD!"

Maybe I do, but what did I say that was invalid? 

Now their season is probably over thanks in large part to Phillip Rivers.

Edited by reddogblitz

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

You could have saved yourself some time and just responded with "I HATE TYROD!"

Maybe I do, but what did I say that was invalid? 

Now their season is probably over thanks in large part to Phillip Rivers.

Rivers isn't the reason they are 4-6.  He had a very bad game last night.  It happens.  But you don't bench Philip Rivers for Tyrod Taylor.  Ever.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Rivers isn't the reason they are 4-6.  He had a very bad game last night.  It happens.  But you don't bench Philip Rivers for Tyrod Taylor.  Ever.

Maybe you don't LOL.

This isn't necessarily a Rivers vs Hotrod thing.

Why can't you bench a QB when he is having a bad game?  I have never understood this concept in the NFL.  College coaches do it.  Think of college championship game last year.  But NFL coaches won't do it. If an RB fumbles you take him out.  Think Yeldon.  If a punt returner muffs one, you take him out.  Think Ray Ray.  But QBs, never.  Why?  If it will ruin a guy's confidence to do it then he didn't have very much to begin with.

Any idea why this is?

36 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This statement, not that long ago, would have been very controversial around here.  I'm talking about when Tyrod was our starting QB and a large portion of this board believed in him.

At that time, I was saying he is a career backup and we need a new QB.

I wonder who long it will take for the same shift of opinion to happen here with regard to Josh Allen.

7 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This statement, not that long ago, would have been very controversial around here.  I'm talking about when Tyrod was our starting QB and a large portion of this board believed in him.

At that time, I was saying he is a career backup and we need a new QB.

I wonder who long it will take for the same shift of opinion to happen here with regard to Josh Allen.

I think there's a handful of TBDers who are already convinced and they make that abundantly clear every chance they get.

Raiders won the mack trade. they got jacobs. another first rounder this year and 3 3rds. had $ for trent brown whose been the back tackle in nfl this year, lamarcus joyner and tyrell williams and will still be top 5 in cap come next season. they are def going in the right direction. just being real if they had our schedule they might be 7-1. very worst same as us but they went thru most brutal road stretch ever and until last week had 50 days away from home. and went to london vs 3-1 bears, @minn @GB @houston which they really had

bears are bottom 5 in cap space with no picks. they will only lose players and cant sign anyone with mack making big qb money

7 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Anyone else watch that game and think that the Bills would very likely beat either of those teams even on the road?

raiders would be tough. we havent beat a single good team yet. have beaten the garbage of the garbage. oakland and chargers would both be tough

Edited by FreeMaxB585
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I have no idea what the heck their plan was right there. He kept going long, trying to get it all in one go instead of taking some underneath throws and allowing his guys to get some YAC. Raiders were playing deep, keeping everything in front of them, Chargers definitely had time (and three timeouts) to dink and dunk a little bit. 

Anthony Lynn’s famous “prevent offense”...

4 hours ago, Pokebball said:

What they needed was more than 10 penalty yards on 8 plays

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Anthony Lynn’s famous “prevent offense”...

Haha, that's a good name for it. It was just kinda mind-boggling that they kept trying such low percentage throws when it didn't take a genius to see that the Raiders were prepared to give up yards underneath. And they only needed a field goal. I guess I can see now why Whisenhunt got the boot, someone's gotta be the fall guy, but that's Lynn's scheme and it ain't working despite a franchise QB, pretty good RB, and some excellent pass catchers. I know the OL is an issue too but you'd think they'd at least be a bit better given the talent they have. Anyone think Lynn will be ousted if he misses the playoffs?

7 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Haha, that's a good name for it. It was just kinda mind-boggling that they kept trying such low percentage throws when it didn't take a genius to see that the Raiders were prepared to give up yards underneath. And they only needed a field goal. I guess I can see now why Whisenhunt got the boot, someone's gotta be the fall guy, but that's Lynn's scheme and it ain't working despite a franchise QB, pretty good RB, and some excellent pass catchers. I know the OL is an issue too but you'd think they'd at least be a bit better given the talent they have. Anyone think Lynn will be ousted if he misses the playoffs?

I said it at the top of the season.  Lynn’s a bum.  He’s got to go.

• Like (+1) 1