TNF - Chargers & Raiders

8 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

It’s not just Rivers.  Gus Bradley went prevent and allowed Carr to easily dink his way down for the score.  Chargers get the ball back with a minute to go, three TOs, and the Raiders bring pressure and Rivers goes 0-8.  Morale of the story: Prevent defense only prevents wins!

Hey that’s my saying!

Rivers is struggling w/ pressure and to connect on deep balls.  Gordon is running like his jock is on fire and 1st downs put it out.  

I know, let’s just pass!  It’s what to do!

12 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yup most overhyped TSW coach ever

I think Lynn is a decent guy and I don't think he is a bad head coach..... but the Chargers are still the chargers to me. They find ways to lose games they should win as they have done for about 15 years. I wanted McDermott at the time and some disagreed at the time and wanted Lynn and others have continued since to ask if I stuck by my guns but I do. I just think McDermott is a better leader and ultimately a better Head Coach. I don't think Lynn is a bad coach per se but of the two give me McDermott, every time.

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

They will only lose 2 KC and LAC. 

I actually think they will continue to be what they have been. A kind of win one, lose one type football team. They are on the right track long term the Raiders, but they are starting a lot of young guys and they make some naïve mistakes. I had them to finish 8-8 before the season I might nudge them to 9-7 now. I don't see a 10 win football team there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Thoughts on this game:

- here are two teams who are talented (I'd argue in both cases pretty close to the Bills talent wise) but just cannot get out of their own way. The Raiders have something of an excuse. That is a young football team with guys making the sort of mistakes young guys make. The Chargers on the other hand are a vet team whose mistakes are pretty inexcusable and some of it really comes down to coaching. A Lynn just has to do a better job.

- PFT did a skit yesterday on which of these two Quarterbacks was more likely to be back with their team next year and at the time I thought.... "duh, both of them." You know what, PFT might be onto something....

- Austin Ekeler needs to get the ball more. The guy just makes plays.

- Remember when everyone thought Mike Mayock was just one of those talking heads off the TV.... his rebuilding job in Oakland looks pretty good. Ferrell had a great night, Hunter Renfrow was a good pick, Josh Jacobs looks legit Jonathan Abram (who was my favourite of their three 1st round picks) is on IR but will be back next year, Mullen the 2nd round corner from Clemson is now in the line up.... yes the AB thing was a disaster and the Trent Brown signing hasn't quite worked out yet but those moves aside Mayock has done a really nice job.

- Have I mentioned I hate the extra point thing.....? Yea I really hate it. If the Chargers go down and score a FG at the end the Raiders should not lose on a missed XP. It just feels like a totally naff and manufactured way to decide a football game. I'd either do away with the XP completely or make it a compulsory 2 point try.

- This was the right result for the Buffalo Bills. Oakland does not have the maturity yet to win 10 games. The Chargers were the ones who might have made a run.

Mostly agree except for the xp argument. A td is one score, a fg is half a score, and a safety is a third of a score. The td is basically 2 fgs, and it SHOULD be at least modestly difficult to expand it in 2 fgs+1 (ie, a small bonus for punching it in). I’d honestly make it a 33 yarder—slightly harder given that they are still being  converted at an excessively high rate (over 90 percent). No point in the NFL should ever be free.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Anyone else watch that game and think that the Bills would very likely beat either of those teams even on the road?

No, because Rivers has absolutely shredded McDermott’s D both times he faced it, and the talent there is as good as ever.

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I wouldn't count out the Steelers.... which is why that game against them is so important.... hopefully it won't matter and the Bills have 9 or so wins by then. 

I had that thought as well.

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Anyone else watch that game and think that the Bills would very likely beat either of those teams even on the road?

Yep. Because I think we would play relatively fundamentally sound football and they would beat themselves with mistakes and we would find a way to win by a score.

10 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

It’s not just Rivers.  Gus Bradley went prevent and allowed Carr to easily dink his way down for the score.  Chargers get the ball back with a minute to go, three TOs, and the Raiders bring pressure and Rivers goes 0-8.  Morale of the story: Prevent defense only prevents wins!

He threw 5 picks, 2 were gifted back to him.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't get all the hype for the Chargers year after year. Yeah, they went 12-4 last year but most seasons they fall flat on their face right outta the gate and then slog their way to 9-7, 8-8, etc. I've seen a couple of their games this year and they have talent, sure, but they seem to make a lot of mistakes.

6 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I don't get all the hype for the Chargers year after year. Yeah, they went 12-4 last year but most seasons they fall flat on their face right outta the gate and then slog their way to 9-7, 8-8, etc. I've seen a couple of their games this year and they have talent, sure, but they seem to make a lot of mistakes.

Southern CA is much like eastern NY in the media.

40 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

He did??? I didn’t know that!  You obviously missed my point about Gus Bradley going full prevent allowing to the go ahead score.

No we all got your point about that darned “prevent defense” DCs employ to allow the opposing team to retake a late lead.  

Strangely, you left out the part where the chargers got the ball back on their own 25 with just over a minute and only needed to get in FG range .  Instead Rivers went:

incompletion

incompletion

incompletion

incompletion (10 yard Defensive penalty:1st down)

incompletion

incompletion

incompletion

interception.

You “obviously missed” that.

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No we all got your point about that darned “prevent defense” DCs employ to allow the opposing team to retake a late lead.  

Strangely, you left out the part where the chargers got the ball back on their own 25 with just over a minute and only needed to get in FG range .  Instead Rivers went:

incompletion

incompletion

incompletion

incompletion

incompletion

incompletion

interception.

And each incompletion was very ugly.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

incompletion

incompletion

incompletion

incompletion

incompletion

incompletion

interception.

I have no idea what the heck their plan was right there. He kept going long, trying to get it all in one go instead of taking some underneath throws and allowing his guys to get some YAC. Raiders were playing deep, keeping everything in front of them, Chargers definitely had time (and three timeouts) to dink and dunk a little bit.