TNF - Chargers & Raiders

The Least surprising thing was the disorganized, deer in headlights series that was the last offensive possession for the chargers. I remember it well, A Lynn. Maybe if Rivers wasn’t commuting hours back and forth to practice in his Winnebago so he doesn’t have to relo his commune to Orange County (gasp) he would have more time to prepare with the team. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Least surprising thing was the disorganized, deer in headlights series that was the last offensive possession for the chargers. I remember it well, A Lynn. Maybe if Rivers wasn’t commuting hours back and forth to practice in his Winnebago so he doesn’t have to relo his commune to Orange County (gasp) he would have more time to prepare with the team. 

Isn't he watching game film the whole time he's commuting?   That seems like a good use of time...

Gruden has the Raiders in a nice spot. Extra draft capital coming from the Bears, a good amount of cap space, you are already paying your QB so no need to plan for a future cap charge, and a coach/GM being allowed to build their vision. They might not make the playoffs but they are developing a young core of players along with vets with gas in the tank that could have them ready to be a serious player in 2020 in Vegas. They have 2 first round picks and 2 third round picks (although no 2nd rounder) to supplement a young core. While also having enough cap space to add some quality players. They could easily finish with 8-9 wins on the season and have an avenue to add to that roster. I didn't expect much from Gruden (I thought he would be out in 4-5 years with maybe one winning season) but he might be setting up the Raiders for sustained success for at least the next 2-3 seasons. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Haha, that's a good name for it. It was just kinda mind-boggling that they kept trying such low percentage throws when it didn't take a genius to see that the Raiders were prepared to give up yards underneath. And they only needed a field goal. I guess I can see now why Whisenhunt got the boot, someone's gotta be the fall guy, but that's Lynn's scheme and it ain't working despite a franchise QB, pretty good RB, and some excellent pass catchers. I know the OL is an issue too but you'd think they'd at least be a bit better given the talent they have. Anyone think Lynn will be ousted if he misses the playoffs?

I don't know I think Roman great running game design helped Lynn get a HC job. Some friends called me crazy told them when Roman or his playbook left McCoy would fall slowly. 

Roman is the best run game designer in the league. Gave Bellichick fits. It's why i'm glad we'll play them in a few weeks. Hopefully someone figures out how to stop there running game.

9 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Maybe you don't LOL.

This isn't necessarily a Rivers vs Hotrod thing.

Why can't you bench a QB when he is having a bad game?  I have never understood this concept in the NFL.  College coaches do it.  Think of college championship game last year.  But NFL coaches won't do it. If an RB fumbles you take him out.  Think Yeldon.  If a punt returner muffs one, you take him out.  Think Ray Ray.  But QBs, never.  Why?  If it will ruin a guy's confidence to do it then he didn't have very much to begin with.

Any idea why this is?

Coaches don’t want a QB controversy undermining the team, ever.  Anytime you put the backup QB in without injury, this could happen as it happens even with an injury. The QB is just too important of a position for there to be any doubt about who “ the guy “ is. Once you make a move to sit the starting QB in favor of another , he’s all but done as your leader. That’s just how it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Coaches don’t want a QB controversy undermining the team, ever.  Anytime you put the backup QB in without injury, this could happen as it happens even with an injury. The QB is just too important of a position for there to be any doubt about who “ the guy “ is. Once you make a move to sit the starting QB in favor of another , he’s all but done as your leader. That’s just how it is. 

thanks for responding.  Evidently you are right since that's what they all do.

last night ? though their season was on the line and possibly even Coach Lynn's job.  Your QB is turning the football ? over in mass quantities.  Seems to me anyway you might want to change course to save the season as opposed to going down with the ship like Coach Lynn did. As it stands, their season is probably over unless they win out.  Odds would be a lot better at 5-5.

But, that's what football ? do.  I don't understand it. Maybe it's a jock thing.