OSU v UGA

Cynical

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

13 years without ND and Michigan....

It's an odd relationship with these schools.

Even though they played their first game in the days when the Ivy League was the powerhouse conference of college football, the all time series is less than 50 games.

They had a great run against each other from the mid 80's up until now, with a couple of years that they did not play each other, but now they are going to give it a rest. I don't know why they choose to do this.

Notre Dame always plays USC & Stanford every year, and they never put their series on hiatus.

Just now, Mark Vader said:

Even though they played their first game in the days when the Ivy League was the powerhouse conference of college football, the all time series is less than 50 games.

They had a great run against each other from the mid 80's up until now, with a couple of years that they did not play each other, but now they are going to give it a rest. I don't know why they choose to do this.

Notre Dame always plays USC & Stanford every year, and they never put their series on hiatus.

ND should be in the Big Ten for football........  :(

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

ND should be in the Big Ten for football........  :(

Absolutely.

I would also like to see the Big Ten trade Maryland or Rutgers to the ACC for Pitt.

Wouldn't it be great to see the Penn State-Pitt rivalry reborn and as a conference game!

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Absolutely.

I would also like to see the Big Ten trade Maryland or Rutgers to the ACC for Pitt.

Wouldn't it be great to see the Penn State-Pitt rivalry reborn and as a conference game!

Can I turn the clock back to the Majors/Sherrill Era for another Pitt run?

or can i just sit down and enjoy a game this week with even 1/3 of the enjoyment i had during those years?

Edited by row_33

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

11 years from now.

Let's get the College Game Day buses warmed up for this. 

I wouldn't hold my breath on seeing this series come to fruition.

Eleven years in the future? Minds and/or circumstances will change by then.

As noted in the article, UGA already has home and home series with Oklahoma (2023, 2031) and Clemson (2029, 2030) during the same time period.

I do like that 8 year span for OU, though. If the first game is a blowout, it makes it easy for the losing team to pull the plug on the second game.

49 minutes ago, Cynical said:

As noted in the article, UGA already has home and home series with Oklahoma (2023, 2031) and Clemson (2029, 2030) during the same time period.

I do like that 8 year span for OU, though. If the first game is a blowout, it makes it easy for the losing team to pull the plug on the second game.

I hope they don't pull the plug on this.

Yes, it's a long ways off, but these are games that college football needs to have.

It's always fun to watch the games between teams who have great histories but rarely play each other.

On 11/7/2019 at 3:54 PM, Mark Vader said:

Absolutely.

and Syracuse, then we can can get rid of Rutgers and Maryland. If any teams dont belong in the Big TEN its them, just a horrible fit for the league.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

and Syracuse, then we can can get rid of Rutgers and Maryland. If any teams dont belong in the Big TEN its them, just a horrible fit for the league.

seemed like a cash cow at the time

i don’t want B1G football contenders to miss playing the other big boys in conference

On 11/7/2019 at 12:48 PM, Mark Vader said:

ND is only willing to lock in so many games per year as they want to play a national schedule.  Outside of the late 80s, the Michigan rivalry hasn’t been as big as others.  They've actually only played 38 games against each other.

USC is untouchable, that is always the big game.  Navy shares the same tradition, nearly 100 years now.

ND schedules other private schools that allow them to connect to alumni across the country, so Stanford and BC have grown into key rivals.

As for regional rivals, ND has a much longer history with Perdue (on hold), MSU, Pitt and Northwestern than it does with UM.

ND has also has shorter series against a ton of major programs, also with the goal of playing teams from across the country (UGA and OU recently, but just about every big team at one point or another).  Two of those that go way back are GT and UNC, which have been rekindled lately with ND being part-time ACC members.

Edited by KD in CA

On 11/7/2019 at 6:02 PM, Cynical said:

Why do you like walking out on commitments? 

28 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

If the first game is a blowout, it makes it easy for the losing team to pull the plug on the second game.

It's called a joke.

There is an 8 year time frame for UGA and OU to complete both games.

In that extended time frame, the second game doesn't always get played.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.