Josh Allen: Beyond the field (story)

BillsFan4

For those having trouble with the video’s sound, here’s what I had to do -

Start playing the video and click on the bottom left to unmute. Then use the arrows that make the video full screen. Once it’s in full screen, you will see another volume control at the top right of the screen. Turn it all the way up and you should have sound (it worked for me). 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Link to the "personal questions" aspect.

stuff about favorite spot in Buffalo, favorite pizza, etc.

https://www.wivb.com/video/josh-allens-favorite-local-pizzeria-is-in-west-seneca/4079900/

Yeah, This.  He seems to have his head 100% on straight.

He's also never been annointed.  Don't overlook how important that is to a young athlete's chance of success.  Physical talent and a certain degree of intelligence are needed, but given that, in the end, mental toughness and hard work will take a guy further than a more talented or smarter guy who doesn't have that mental resilience or willingness to grind.

This is an excellent point.  I'll add that the process through which he ended up in Wyoming shows how much he believes in himself.  Most kids would have just shrugged their shoulders and moved on to a smaller school.  He knew he was better than that.  And his support system can't go unnoticed, either.

I simply love everything about this kid.

• Like (+1) 2

Allen stands out as an exceptional person. He's obviously an incredible athlete (whether he develops into a great QB remains to be seen), but he's also a very bright guy. Looks to me like he was raised right so kudos to his parents/family who obviously instilled in him the right values. There are not many kids that I would look up to but Allen is the exception. Then again I'm not 6'5" either. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, krf139 said:

Nobody is doubting that Josh seems like a great guy.  Everyone said the same about EJ too.  Being a good guy only gets you so far.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but while I don't doubt EJ is a great guy, I don't remember any stuff about him in the same way -

-nothing about taking a particular charity or theme of charity outreach under his wing consistently as Josh seems to be doing with kids, especially sick kids.

-nothing about him lifting up the guys on the team with shouldering the responsibility "c'mon, let's go, I'll get my head out of my a**, I'll be better" (Jets game) then winning.  No 4Q comebacks

-nothing about him jumping over a LB and becoming the team's leading rusher his first year while trying to inspire and lift the guys playing with him.  EJ came out with a rep as potentially a spread option QB, but EJ's best game in the NFL was 40 yards rushing at the expense of 8 sacks.

-nothing about "a bunch of guys" gathering at his house to watch Monday night football and eat pizza together, which is another way of building team rappore and showing leadership

-I never heard a national announcer say about EJ in the off-season "That Team would run through a brick wall for Josh Allen right now"

-I never heard a coach or player say about EJ "week by week he's taking more leadership in the huddle"

-I never saw EJ glare at one of his top receivers after a missed pass and make a two-finger "point at his eyes" gesture "LOOK"

What I heard about EJ was "he's nice, he wants to please everyone, maybe too much".  What I hear about Allen is "he's funny, he jokes around, he doesn't act like the most important person in the building, everyone in the building loves him" and "on the field he flips a switch"

I don't know whether Josh Allen will become a viable NFL QB or the Bills franchise QB, but it might be time to put a blanket over the EJM comparisons and tuck them in for the night.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Link to full story -

I really hope Josh proves to be our franchise QB. I love his personality. He’s the type of QB that you can say you’re proud to root for. He would be such a great face for this Bills franchise for the next decade (+). 

Edit ->    For those having trouble with the video’s sound, here’s what I had to do -

Start playing the video. Then use the arrows that make the video full screen. Once it’s in full screen, you will see a volume control at the top right of the screen. Turn it all the way up and you should have sound (it worked for me). 

I switched the link, so hopefully that will fix the issue. 

It’s safe to say we all feel the same way!!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

This is an excellent point.  I'll add that the process through which he ended up in Wyoming shows how much he believes in himself.  Most kids would have just shrugged their shoulders and moved on to a smaller school.  He knew he was better than that.  And his support system can't go unnoticed, either.

I simply love everything about this kid.

And you know this is why mcbeane wanted him.  He unlike the others would want it more. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but while I don't doubt EJ is a great guy, I don't remember any stuff about him in the same way -

-nothing about taking a particular charity or theme of charity outreach under his wing consistently as Josh seems to be doing with kids, especially sick kids.

-nothing about him lifting up the guys on the team with shouldering the responsibility "c'mon, let's go, I'll get my head out of my a**, I'll be better" (Jets game) then winning.  No 4Q comebacks

-nothing about him jumping over a LB and becoming the team's leading rusher his first year while trying to inspire and lift the guys playing with him.  EJ came out with a rep as potentially a spread option QB, but EJ's best game in the NFL was 40 yards rushing at the expense of 8 sacks.

-nothing about "a bunch of guys" gathering at his house to watch Monday night football and eat pizza together, which is another way of building team rappore and showing leadership

-I never heard a national announcer say about EJ in the off-season "That Team would run through a brick wall for Josh Allen right now"

-I never heard a coach or player say about EJ "week by week he's taking more leadership in the huddle"

-I never saw EJ glare at one of his top receivers after a missed pass and make a two-finger "point at his eyes" gesture "LOOK"

What I heard about EJ was "he's nice, he wants to please everyone, maybe too much".  What I hear about Allen is "he's funny, he jokes around, he doesn't act like the most important person in the building, everyone in the building loves him" and "on the field he flips a switch"

I don't know whether Josh Allen will become a viable NFL QB or the Bills franchise QB, but it might be time to put a blanket over the EJM comparisons and tuck them in for the night.

I'm not comparing him to EJ on the field.  All I'm saying is that none of this stuff matters unless you deliver on the field.  

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Link to the "personal questions" aspect.

stuff about favorite spot in Buffalo, favorite pizza, etc.

https://www.wivb.com/video/josh-allens-favorite-local-pizzeria-is-in-west-seneca/4079900/

Ferro's is NYS pizza. I'm not that big a fan of NY Style. Josh should try Imperial on Abbott road in South Buffalo

1 hour ago, krf139 said:

I'm not comparing him to EJ on the field.  All I'm saying is that none of this stuff matters unless you deliver on the field.  

The point that's being made is that all this stuff does matter everywhere except not as much on the field.  I'd argue the type of person he is, helps tremendously on it also. 

What more can be said? For a while, I was sitting back, expecting the ‘other shoe to drop’ in the cynical world we live in. ‘Don’t get hyped on a star athlete, they’re not what is being presented’. 

No longer. He’s as genuine as he appears and WNY is fortunate to have him as it’s premiere spokesperson. 

Live Long and Prosper, Josh Allen.?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1