Josh Allen: Beyond the field (story)

BillsFan4

Link to full story -

I really hope Josh proves to be our franchise QB. I love his personality. He’s the type of QB that you can say you’re proud to root for. He would be such a great face for this Bills franchise for the next decade (+). 

Edit ->    For those having trouble with the video’s sound, here’s what I had to do -

Start playing the video. Then use the arrows that make the video full screen. Once it’s in full screen, you will see a volume control at the top right of the screen. Turn it all the way up and you should have sound (it worked for me). 

I switched the link, so hopefully that will fix the issue. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 7

There is success in what you do for a career and there is success in who you are as a person. I love what I see in Allen on the personal side: His genuineness, maturity, connection with family and community, humbleness, passion, and just the way he conducts / carries himself. I certainly hope he becomes the franchise QB for this team. However, from the perspective of someone going into the "post career" years of life and as a father with children all leading their own lives as adults now, I hope he stays grounded on his personal path and continues to grow in all those ways that will mean more in life than how he played a game.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I take every chance to say that Josh is getting very good at being Josh Allen-Bills QB.  He understands his unique situation and wants to use the power it gives him to do good for others as do many other players.   I also want to make the point that Josh is the same person whether he succeeds as "Buffalo Bills Franchise QB" or not.   There is a tendency by some to rip players that have left this team with some degree of failure attached to their time here.  It does not need to be that way and I think we as fans should separate the football player from the human being and not let our feelings about the former affect how we treat the latter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I take every chance to say that Josh is getting very good at being Josh Allen-Bills QB.  He understands his unique situation and wants to use the power it gives him to do good for others as do many other players.   I also want to make the point that Josh is the same person whether he succeeds as "Buffalo Bills Franchise QB" or not.   There is a tendency by some to rip players that have left this team with some degree of failure attached to their time here.  It does not need to be that way and I think we as fans should separate the football player from the human being and not let our feelings about the former affect how we treat the latter.

Well said--I include myself in the guilty group that tends to do just that--letting a former player's on-field failures, perceived or not, influence how I refer to them after on these same boards. I've enjoyed taking digs at EJ, Maybin, Losman, Tuel, Merriman, et al, and I'm sure IRL they are fine upstanding men for the most part. But Josh seems to be even more set apart in terms of his community engagement and genuine spirit off the field for helping kids especially. If he does flame out, I will try to remember your spot-on admonishments accordingly! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, stosh64 said:

Thanks for posting this, I just saw it on the news and came to see if it was posted.

How can you not root for this kid to succeed if you are a Bills fan?

You can't possibly not root for this kid.

"Never Ever Give Up" seems like his personal motto. 

I can't tell you yet if Josh Allen will succeed as an NFL QB - either in the time he'll be given with Buffalo or eventually somewhere in the league. 

But I can tell you he's got his head and his heart the right way into it by all accounts.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You can't possibly not root for this kid.

"Never Ever Give Up" seems like his personal motto. 

I can't tell you yet if Josh Allen will succeed as an NFL QB - either in the time he'll be given with Buffalo or eventually somewhere in the league. 

But I can tell you he's got his head and his heart the right way into it by all accounts.

This may be the homer in me, but I honestly cannot see this kid NOT succeeding in Buffalo.  My mind won't even let me envision it.

Such a great kid and I agree .... I don't understand how anyone can NOT root for him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Link to the "personal questions" aspect.

stuff about favorite spot in Buffalo, favorite pizza, etc.

https://www.wivb.com/video/josh-allens-favorite-local-pizzeria-is-in-west-seneca/4079900/

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I have no idea how successful this kid will be as an NFL QB.  But it's clear he's enormously successful as a human being.  And in the end that what really counts.

Yeah, This.  He seems to have his head 100% on straight.

He's also never been annointed.  Don't overlook how important that is to a young athlete's chance of success.  Physical talent and a certain degree of intelligence are needed, but given that, in the end, mental toughness and hard work will take a guy further than a more talented or smarter guy who doesn't have that mental resilience or willingness to grind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1