College Admission Scandals Have Been Going on Forever

Irv

These disputes will go on forever, there have always been scandals at college, so you can take it for granted. Also, after entering college, students have problems with writing an essay, you can do your essay on this page, I think it will help you at the beginning of the school year. Hope this will be helpful.

Edited by TimothyLyall

29 minutes ago, TimothyLyall said:

These disputes will continue forever, there were always scandals when entering college, so you can take it as given.

Hollywood folk manipulating to this extent is kind of novel

shows they are the bottom of the barrel in Nouveau Riche rankings....  :D

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I don't think it's novel or new, I think it's just that it's the first time it's been really caught and prosecuted.

i don't recall the 60s and 70s generation actors having kids that needed a boost to get into Princeton

the problem is their $$$ and their name wasn't enough for today, they had to go and manipulate documents and outright lie....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

i don't recall the 60s and 70s generation actors having kids that needed a boost to get into Princeton

the problem is their $$$ and their name wasn't enough for today, they had to go and manipulate documents and outright lie....

It's because resources are fewer and competition steep.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2019 at 7:08 PM, RochesterRob said:

Interesting read but I would say that most potential applicants do not have close to the means that Shaw has.  I would guess that in most cases the family more or less has a one time shot which means they insist on a quid pro quo.  Even then it is not a slam dunk even if the potential applicant's history is white-washed.  While admissions is no doubt prone to some leaning on by upper administration faculty often has a considerable say which I saw as a student being accepted into Cornell.  Even if the heavy hand of the dean or president prevails the student is very vulnerable once in as he will be in the crosshairs of a number of instructors and fellow students.  It would not surprise me that many students who had their family buy their way in wash out after a year.  My advisor on his best day was a miserable prick but would not screw anybody over that he though had merit.  Somebody that he thought did not deserve a "chair" would receive his undying resentment any way he could dish it out.  I give credit to my advisor for finding elective courses that enhanced my GPA.

They dont have Shaw's means.  But Shaw absolutely bribed the colleges in a similar fashion.  

I had no advisor so I had to find the electives myself or through my fraternity brothers knowledge to enhance that GPA.

2 minutes ago, bills_fan said:

They dont have Shaw's means.  But Shaw absolutely bribed the colleges in a similar fashion.  

I had no advisor so I had to find the electives myself or through my fraternity brothers knowledge to enhance that GPA.

I had an advisor every semester I was at a major college.  Cornell was and is too big to have any one person (non-faculty) to have a sizable handle on what is out there for courses.  I took (intro to) meteorology for my physical sciences elective at the recommendation of my advisor.  It is something I would have never thought of on my own to take.  I could have taken a university physics course but then would have had the issue of competing with people who ultimately be at the top of the field when they got into their careers.  I was asked to pledge a frat but declined in large part due to the increase in room and board I would have to pay.  As it was by a miracle I was getting a reduced rate at a university residence that was less than a third of what regular dorms, Greeks, and off campus apartments were getting.

On 11/12/2019 at 4:47 PM, row_33 said:

That's because you didn't hear so much about the personally lives of the people in Hollywood that you do now. Today you could look up and find out almost any personal detail of a celebrity family on TMZ.

There's more money and more people today making it harder to get in. Back then there weren't as many celebrities and rich people like today where every can be considered a celebrity.

47 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

That's because you didn't hear so much about the personally lives of the people in Hollywood that you do now. Today you could look up and find out almost any personal detail of a celebrity family on TMZ.

There's more money and more people today making it harder to get in. Back then there weren't as many celebrities and rich people like today where every can be considered a celebrity.

did their kids want a fake admission into Stanford or Harvard back then?

the status of celebrity "back then" was a million times more public and binding than today....

i have no knowledge of more than 4 or 5 movie stars today, i can name you 100s from the old days.....

i have no knowledge of more than 2 pop music acts today, i can name you 100s from the old days...

Just because you can't name many, doesn't mean there aren't more, might just mean you don't follow Hollywood today. With social media and tabloids like TMZ today, you hear about and find out way more detail on celebrities today, and way more people are being considered celebrities today then before because there's way more media for them to become celebrities compared to the 60s and 70s. Back then it was much easier to cheat the system and cover thing up compared to today where everything is documented and digital, records can be accessed from anywhere. 

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

i have no knowledge of more than 4 or 5 movie stars today, i can name you 100s from the old days.....

because you're old

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

i have no knowledge of more than 2 pop music acts today, i can name you 100s from the old days...

see above

On 11/6/2019 at 10:33 PM, row_33 said:

And the GI Bill after WW2 opened up the top schools in a way that would never be dreamed of again for people who never had a chance otherwise

those are people whom the school deemed would make a positive contribution by means other than academic.

:D

Ken Lay had to get his start somewhere!

• 1 month later...

Does she get a discount for only needing enough 'training' to get through a week behind bars for a multi year sentence?

Hopefully her husband and kids didn't pay anyone extra to forge some records and get her into this training over someone more deserving.......

Edited by apuszczalowski

Do forgive me but I didn't read the entire thread.

The premise of this thing is bogus imo. The person who was "bribed" was NOT a public servant. I don't know the federal law but in NY, only a public servant can be guilty of bribe receiving.

It would appear that the people involved would have the resources to take this to the Supreme Court and would win by  perhaps even a 9-0 decision. If not, will bartenders be arrested for getting bigger tips for faster service? Or a maître d in a restaurant for providing a  better table?

Jmo but I think that the govt. will either drop or lose this case.

Edit: Of course the person who received the money should be fired.

Edited by Bill from NYC

19 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Do forgive me but I didn't read the entire thread.

The premise of this thing is bogus imo. The person who was "bribed" was NOT a public servant. I don't know the federal law but in NY, only a public servant can be guilty of bribe receiving.

It would appear that the people involved would have the resources to take this to the Supreme Court and would win by  perhaps even a 9-0 decision. If not, will bartenders be arrested for getting bigger tips for faster service? Or a maître d in a restaurant for providing a  better table?

Jmo but I think that the govt. will either drop or lose this case.

Edit: Of course the person who received the money should be fired.

The difference between this and the bartender example is here the parties exchanging money were conspiring to defraud a 3d party (the school).

But no question the people who should receive the longest prison sentences are the coaches or whoever at the university were accepting the money and those who took payments to subvert the integrity of the SATs.   Hopefully that's happening, but that doesn't generate public interest like the former hottie from Full House.

• Like (+1) 1