College Admission Scandals Have Been Going on Forever

Irv

Does anybody actually think George Bush Sr. and Jr. and the Kennedy clan all deserved admission to Ivy League schools?  Felicity Huffman and Lori Laughlin are just following in the footsteps of hundreds of our forefathers.  I think it's pretty naive to think people have not been buying their way into prestigious institutions like Harvard and Yale forever.  Now they are going to jail for what slimy politicians and the blue bloods have been doing for years.   They were wrong but this crap has been going on forever.  Just ask Hunter Biden.  

Edited by Irv

No. They were messing with test taking.  Even Teddy Kennedy got kicked out for cheating.

Yes... There is a right way and a wrong way.  Messing with the testing system is the wrong way and needs to be severely punished.  Buying your way in through legacy or donating $$$ for things like a building is still acceptable.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

This seems like it's gonna end up in PPP soon.....

But the typical response will be that the others got in because their parent was an alumni who made donations, these recent ones were not alumni...... Even though that shouldn't matter

The difference as I understand it is that Kennedy and Bush paid Harvard and Yale (private organizations who are free to use any standards they wish to accept students) to gain admittance.  The current crowd actually defrauded the universities by conspiring with test cheats and university employees.  Lori Laughlin didn’t pay USC, she paid someone to lie to USC.  That’s a crime.

In this case, the universities were the victims.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Irv said:

Does anybody actually think George Bush Sr. and Jr. and the Kennedy clan all deserved admission to Ivy League schools?  Felicity Huffman and Lori Laughlin are just following in the footsteps of hundreds of our forefathers.  I think it's pretty naive to think people have not been buying their way into prestigious institutions like Harvard and Yale forever.  Now they are going to jail for what slimy politicians and the blue bloods have been doing for years.   They were wrong but this crap has been going on forever.  Just ask Hunter Biden.  

And again....

at top schools.... like a Harvard or Yale....

admissions are 1/3 legacies, the children and later generations of graduates, especially those who donated $$$$$$

1/3 placements to people who would make the school a better place such as athletes, affirmative action, artists, musicians  

and 1/3 to pure academic achievement, good luck with this means of admission

45 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The difference as I understand it is that Kennedy and Bush paid Harvard and Yale (private organizations who are free to use any standards they wish to accept students) to gain admittance.  The current crowd actually defrauded the universities by conspiring with test cheats and university employees.  Lori Laughlin didn’t pay USC, she paid someone to lie to USC.  That’s a crime.

So............she bribed the wrong people?     ?

This whole thing is crazy and I don’t know what to make of it. I DO think that facing 45 years in prison is ridiculous. You can KILL someone and get off with FAR less than that. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

This seems like it's gonna end up in PPP soon.....

But the typical response will be that the others got in because their parent was an alumni who made donations, these recent ones were not alumni...... Even though that shouldn't matter

And, you are correct. 

These guys doctored records and lied. Some of this included other testing for these kids, photoshopped images, and fake school records. That said, they should all burn. 

And the GI Bill after WW2 opened up the top schools in a way that would never be dreamed of again for people who never had a chance otherwise

1 minute ago, Paulus said:

And, you are correct. 

These guys doctored records and lied. Some of this included other testing for these kids, photoshopped images, and fake school records. That said, they should all burn. 

those are people whom the school deemed would make a positive contribution by means other than academic.

:D

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

So if the University gets a cut of the money its cool, If they don't then its a crime? Makes sense

I wouldn't be surprised if the schools knew about this and got a cut of it

How is the University a victim? They got their money for having a student enrolled there, whether it was a 'Legacy' enrolment who only got in because their parent was an alum who made a donation, or someone else who made it in but didn't give the school a donation directly

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

This whole thing is crazy and I don’t know what to make of it. I DO think that facing 45 years in prison is ridiculous. You can KILL someone and get off with FAR less than that. 

They will face the possibility of seeing more jail time then someone who committed fraud that was much worse then just getting their kid into a better school

its not like they committed fraud that crashed the US economy......

6 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They will face the possibility of seeing more jail time then someone who committed fraud that was much worse then just getting their kid into a better school

its not like they committed fraud that crashed the US economy......

I have a nephew who got %$#& faced on St Patty’s Day, drove the wrong way up a highway and killed a guy (who as it turns out was also drunk, but at least on HIS side of the highway). He was out of prison in about 5 years. He KILLED somebody, so the 45 years to me is just a sign of what’s wrong with the system. It’s a threat. They should have just come clean, but who knows the details behind the scenes? 

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have a nephew who got %$#& faced on St Patty’s Day, drove the wrong way up a highway and killed a guy (who as it turns out was also drunk, but at least on HIS side of the highway). He was out of prison in about 5 years. He KILLED somebody, so the 45 years to me is just a sign of what’s wrong with the system. It’s a threat. They should have just come clean, but who knows the details behind the scenes? 

Yeah, theres no way they actually see 45 years, its more of a threat so they just plead guilty instead of fighting it.

But just the fact that they potentially could see that much time for being a part of this is ridiculous.

I really don't understand why Loughlin is fighting this, just admit they paid to help get their kids into a good school and have their lawyer work on getting them out of any jail time and maybe face a fine.

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yeah, theres no way they actually see 45 years, its more of a threat so they just plead guilty instead of fighting it.

But just the fact that they potentially could see that much time for being a part of this is ridiculous.

I really don't understand why Loughlin is fighting this, just admit they paid to help get their kids into a good school and have their lawyer work on getting them out of any jail time and maybe face a fine.

Yeah, there is a BETTER way to handle this. Instead of “hey, we messed up, we thought.....”, they are actually digging in and digging deeper, so the charges are piling up. Just END IT! Don’t make it worse! 

9 minutes ago, stuvian said:

the scandal is that people are going into 5 and 6 figure debt for school where the bribers are making a mockery of admission standards

It goes to the widening gap between the “haves and have nots”. Some can pay $500k just to get kids in, then pay $500k to get them out. Others have to actually qualify, then come out owing $500k that buries them going forward. 

I just wish I could get those phone calls to stop about relieving me of my student loans, which I’ve never had. Between that, lowering my credit card rate and saving me from my expiring car warranty............if you can make it STOP I will vote for you! 

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Laughlin should of took the plea deal & this would of all been over.  Probably would done a couple months in prison.  But she is arrogant & I have a feeling she is going to pay dearly(not 45 years but I could see her doing 5-10 years.)

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Laughlin should of took the plea deal & this would of all been over.  Probably would done a couple months in prison.  But she is arrogant & I have a feeling she is going to pay dearly(not 45 years but I could see her doing 5-10 years.)

Huffman only did a few days after taking a plea deal, why wasn't her husband also included in this?

They will probably use her as an example and give her something steep because she tried to fight it instead of taking the plea. All for not paying the right people to get her kids into a top school....