Graphic: best selling recording artists 1969-2019

PromoTheRobot

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Thriller was a total cultural takeover, maybe the last one of its ilk in music?

It was my senior year in HS, i grew too old to care much about Top 40 shortly thereafter

Oh yeah...I was never a top 40 guy. I liked progressive rock. I remember a lot of Jackson, Duran Duran and Frankie goes to Hollywood at the clubs!

I saw that the other day and don't get what it is?  Is it a single album's sales for a quarter.  The artist's full catalog's sales each quarter...................The one that makes no sense to me is Billy Joel.  I don't think the Piano Man album in 73 would have remained so popular through to his next album.  

On 11/6/2019 at 4:22 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

I am guessing this is US sales only, as I would have thought Fleetwood Mac would have been listed somewhere at the start.   Here is a statement from someone on a forum about Fleetwood Mac.

My English Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits album has the following statement in the liner notes:

In the four years of Fleetwood Mac's existence they have sold in excess of 12 million records, they have played all over the world and have four gold discs so far. Last year they won the Top Selling Singles Artist Award which was the first time anyone apart from the Beatles had won this award in six years.

Just now, row_33 said:

That’s sacred to Canadians

(no Steve Miller allowed)

Sacred?  Or ‘snuck in’ by Canadian content mandates?  If it wasn’t for Heart and Trooper, GIANT FM 91.7 would be off air.?
Steve Miller Band to me was just a local garage band that got lucky.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, row_33 said:

Greatest Hits packages.  ?

It did not say, how many the Greatest Hits package sold.  It was a reference to their other records.

BTW, that was from a poster at Steve Hoffman forums.   Or what I refer to as " the internet black hole for time."

• Like (+1) 1