Restaurant reviews and high prices

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I usually try to avoid “franchise places”, even the nicer ones, but I like Del Frisco’s a lot. We get there at least a couple times a year. With so many options it’s hard to hit them all! I’m usually getting seafood when we go out, so I like the options at the Atlanta Fish Market. Canoe is near the house and my wife’s favorite restaurant in town. 

Cant got wrong with either of those! It's been a couple years, but Ive never had a bad meal at Rathbun's. And our new favorite place is The Optimist. It's pretty amazing.

• Like (+1) 1

The more expensive the restaurant, the more health violations it likely has, at least in Pennsylvania.  

Nobody reads restaurant reviews but more and more newspapers are publishing restaurant inspection reports verbatim and IMO, people are reading those.  

6 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

The giant meatball at Mulberry's so many rave about is repulsive.

Hard, fat unchewable pieces of who knows throughout the thing.

I really enjoy Mulberry's overall.  I'd agree though, the meatball is pretty average.  People love big stuff/portions, so it'll always be a hit.  Tappo's are 10x better, IMO.  

15 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

The giant meatball at Mulberry's so many rave about is repulsive.

Hard, fat unchewable pieces of who knows throughout the thing.

Is that the place they said was Fitzy’s favorite on the broadcast? They brought it up enough that I actually Googled it, if that’s the place. That can’t hurt! 

3 hours ago, Augie said:

My last trip to a Ruth’s Chris was a lousy experience and....my last trip to a Ruth’s Chris. Too many other good options out there. For example, we had a great night at Bones in Buckhead recently, and Little Alley Steakhouse is awesome too. Pricey, but actually worth it. There was no comparison. 

We went to a Smith and Wolensky’s in Vegas once. I remembered being impressed when my parents took me to one in NYC, so I thought it would be a nice experience. The server recommended some special cut full of wonderful marbling and the most amazing flavor. What I got was a huge, fatty piece of grizzle. If you get 100% marbling without the yummy part, you lose. Fortunately my wife’s choice was awesome and enough for the two of us. 

Not a steakhouse, but wife and I were passing through Atlanta last month and ate at The Optimist.  Wonderful space and a fantastic meal.

Went to Ruth’s Chris in Niagara Falls Canada for our Anniversary a few years back.  Steaks were 65 and up.  Had a $75 strip only because of the  change rate.  Not a good steak at all. Honestly, I’ve cooked better on my Weber.

Had a porterhouse or NY Strip years ago at Russell’s about 5 years ag, don’t re,ember the price other than about $110 per person with a couple glasses of weight he and desert.  Overall an excellent meal.

honestly  the best special occasion dinner I’ve ever had was with my Wife an 2 kids at Jimsteakout for our anniversary.  Had the best time, most memorable.

19 minutes ago, stony said:

Not a steakhouse, but wife and I were passing through Atlanta last month and ate at The Optimist.  Wonderful space and a fantastic meal.

The second time that’s come up! I’ll have to try it. I heard good things from someone (maybe my wife went there?). 

I do few steakhouses. That’s partly because I just don’t eat a lot of red meat (more of a fish guy) and partly because, as others have said, you can do a mean steak at home if you know what you’re doing (I cheat now and usually go sous vide). My wife will turn to me at a restaurant and say “this steak isn’t any better than what you make at home”. And the steak at home didn’t cost $56 plus another $7 for a sauce, $14 for an alacarte family size side....and don’t even get me started on the overpriced wine!!!

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

So we all agree ?   Ruth Chris is trash ? 

I’m not sure if it’s gone downhill over time, or if I’ve just hit less well run operations over time, the luck of the draw. I bet there are still some good operations, but it will take some interesting circumstances for me to give them another shot. (The last place I went is now a doctors office!) I’ve been to places I like much more, and there are places I still haven’t ever tried. 

My wife and I try to have at least one meal at a Four Seasons restaurant whenever we travel. They really know what they're doing. Pizza, smoked wings, burgers, filet mignon -- Everything just tastes better there. It's not as pricey as most would think, and the often-comped appetizer(s) and chill atmosphere makes it well worth it for us.

15 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

I’m not feeling it.    My guy up the street blows him out of the water.  

https://www.aberdeenbarn.com/

A lot of great steak joints out there, but Ruth’s Chris is not trash.  Outback is trash.  Perspective is needed here.

One of my fav’s is Delmonico’s in Syracuse.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

1)That being said, have you ever eaten a "regular" meal at some expensive restaurant, except for an anniversary or some other special occasion?

2)(Also, do you know anyone who reads restaurant reviews in a newspaper anymore?

1) Not quite sure what you mean, but wife and i regularly eat at good to great t restaurants...never at a steakhouse though unless on business 

2)And my boy Tom Seitsema in the WAPO is still dead on with his reviews after 20 years. Sucks when he gives good reviews to the the new place you like, but thats life