Restaurant reviews and high prices

We were joking about this last night while we were eating our leftovers out of the refrigerator, along with a glass of our boxed wine. :lol:

There's been a big deal in New York City lately that the famous Peter Luger steakhouse got a negative review from the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/29/dining/peter-luger-review-pete-wells.html

https://pagesix.com/2019/11/04/peter-luger-becomes-broadway-punchline-after-zero-stars-review/

That being said, have you ever eaten a "regular" meal at some expensive restaurant, except for an anniversary or some other special occasion?

Also, do you know anyone who reads restaurant reviews in a newspaper anymore?

first    -- Whats a newspaper 

I've been to a few steakhouses (other than chains) over the years.   Too rich for my cheap buttox.  (company travel :thumbsup:

If they don't list the price .....  I keep walking 

If I need a translator to read the menu .....  I keep walking 

Mostly in my region its to an Olive garden.  

some of the bigger steak houses have just become too absurd. we have a morton's in downtown rochester and i just can't come to terms with the cost. we will go out for "regular" meals at expensive places, but that's our going out.  on top of that, instead of gifts for holidays/birthdays, we get gift cards to restaurants we like, making it way more affordable.   i never mind spending money on a meal, but morton's is gross.  to get an 8 0z filet, i think it was $55.  if you want a sauce, it's another $7 or $8.  if i remember correctly, i think my starter salad was $18.  for rochester, that's nuts.  it's not nyc or boston where we're paying for the overhead.  the food is good, but certainly no better than any of the local, privately owned steak houses.  

i'm good with pricey dinners, but there's a limit.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

first    -- Whats a newspaper 

I've been to a few steakhouses (other than chains) over the years.   Too rich for my cheap buttox.  (company travel :thumbsup:

If they don't list the price .....  I keep walking 

If I need a translator to read the menu .....  I keep walking 

Mostly in my region its to an Olive garden.  

We went to a tourist joint in San Francisco MANY years ago. I got the seafood special without asking the price. It was like $85 and that was at least 15-20 years ago. That’s on me, I’ll never make that mistake again. Restaurants on Fisherman’s Wharf are not counting on return customers. 

I also don’t like going places where I need to learn a new language just to order. That includes a trip to South Beach while visiting Miami more recently. NOBODY for blocks spoke english and I had to point to order! (You know the best thing about Miami?????????????? It’s so close to the United States!) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Went to a big name historic steakhouse in Manhattan few months ago and to Tempo too.

No comparison. Tempo’s Ribeye was so much better than the famous must get steak in N.Y.C.

There are a lot of really good restaurants in Buffalo. 

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, teef said:

some of the bigger steak houses have just become too absurd. we have a morton's in downtown rochester and i just can't come to terms with the cost. we will go out for "regular" meals at expensive places, but that's our going out.  on top of that, instead of gifts for holidays/birthdays, we get gift cards to restaurants we like, making it way more affordable.   i never mind spending money on a meal, but morton's is gross.  to get an 8 0z filet, i think it was $55.  if you want a sauce, it's another $7 or $8.  if i remember correctly, i think my starter salad was $18.  for rochester, that's nuts.  it's not nyc or boston where we're paying for the overhead.  the food is good, but certainly no better than any of the local, privately owned steak houses.  

i'm good with pricey dinners, but there's a limit.

Go to Tournedos at the Inn on Broadway instead.  

58 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

We were joking about this last night while we were eating our leftovers out of the refrigerator, along with a glass of our boxed wine. :lol:

There's been a big deal in New York City lately that the famous Peter Luger steakhouse got a negative review from the New York Times:

https://pagesix.com/2019/11/04/peter-luger-becomes-broadway-punchline-after-zero-stars-review/

That being said, have you ever eaten a "regular" meal at some expensive restaurant, except for an anniversary or some other special occasion?

Yes and yes.  Its no longer a printed copy of the newspaper but I follow the reviews from local online publications.

I'm guessing there is a correlation between people who do no research on where to find good food and people who have bad experiences at "fancy" or "expensive" restaurants.

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Go to Tournedos at the Inn on Broadway instead.  

i honestly think that may be the best place in rochester.  i know the bartender very well and love the food.  the place is expensive, but i'd much rather go there than mortons.  we also love max's chophouse and love the atmosphere at black and blue.

We were just in Napa about a month ago for our 10 year and now we’re in Disney. I’m well versed in extremely overpriced dining! Although we hit places both there and here that I consider to be “worth it”

1 hour ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Friend of mine just hit Lugers on a business trip about a month ago and wasn’t real impressed. Felt bad because he was pretty pumped about it going in.

My last trip to a Ruth’s Chris was a lousy experience and....my last trip to a Ruth’s Chris. Too many other good options out there. For example, we had a great night at Bones in Buckhead recently, and Little Alley Steakhouse is awesome too. Pricey, but actually worth it. There was no comparison. 

We went to a Smith and Wolensky’s in Vegas once. I remembered being impressed when my parents took me to one in NYC, so I thought it would be a nice experience. The server recommended some special cut full of wonderful marbling and the most amazing flavor. What I got was a huge, fatty piece of grizzle. If you get 100% marbling without the yummy part, you lose. Fortunately my wife’s choice was awesome and enough for the two of us. 

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

My last trip to a Ruth’s Chris was a lousy experience and....my last trip to a Ruth’s Chris. Too many other good options out there. For example, we had a great night at Bones in Buckhead recently, and Little Alley Steakhouse is awesome too. Pricey, but actually worth it. There was no comparison. 

The "scenery" there is top notch too. Especially if youre willing to pay.

We go to Del Frisco's sometimes because it's near the office (and only on the company card). Pretty good if you want to be fancy.

Went to Sparks in Manhattan back around 1996.  If my memory is any good the total bill before tip around 80-85 dollars between the wife and myself.  Did not have any expensive drinks and the tip was on top.  Some of the bill was covered by our travel plan that we went under so I think the real cost to us was around 50 dollars before tip.  Sparks was the restaurant where Big Paul Castellano was gunned down outside back in 1985.

47 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Went to a big name historic steakhouse in Manhattan few months ago and to Tappos too.

No comparison. Tappos Ribeye was so much better than the famous must get steak in N.Y.C.

There are a lot of really good restaurants in Buffalo. 

Tappo's meatballs are the best, too.

I get "nothing special" meals at expensive restaurants all the time.

I am a foodie and into cooking on a high level.  My only request when I go out is that the place serves me something better than I can do myself.

I am often disappointed.

But when I get a great meal with something that blows my mind, I enjoy it all the more so.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The "scenery" there is top notch too. Especially if youre willing to pay.

We go to Del Frisco's sometimes because it's near the office (and only on the company card). Pretty good if you want to be fancy.

I usually try to avoid “franchise places”, even the nicer ones, but I like Del Frisco’s a lot. We get there at least a couple times a year. With so many options it’s hard to hit them all! I’m usually getting seafood when we go out, so I like the options at the Atlanta Fish Market. Canoe is near the house and my wife’s favorite restaurant in town. 

I rarely (no pun intended) go to expensive steak houses due to the fact that the steaks are usually not as good as the ones I cook at home.  Granted, I cook a mean steak, but if I am spending a fortune on a meal, it should be better than anything I can cook in my kitchen.  Finding a high quality butcher is much more important to me than finding a good steakhouse.  I live just outside of NYC now and have yet to go to any of the famous steak joints. 

• Like (+1) 1