Stats aside, Josh Allen looks better in year 2 than Mitch Trubisky.

21 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

At some point you have to stop only looking at the eye test (which Allen generally passes IMO) and start caring that his stats are near the bottom in basically every statistical category.  You need both stats and intangibles to be great and have sustained success.

What about his 4th quarter stats?  Yes he has a long way to go but realize the offense is still trying to gel, they don't have a true number one receiver as I think that would open the playbook a bunch!

On 11/6/2019 at 4:17 PM, BuffBillsForLife said:

near the bottom in basically every statistical category.  

Im too lazy to look it all up, but I cant imagine there are that many QBs with a better win-loss ratio as starter.  Are there other stats that matter?

Update: I looked it up and at 11-8 he's just under 60% which is better than average.  But heres the other stats that jumped out:

7 come from behind wins including 5 game-winning drives.

Edited by JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS
additional research

On 11/6/2019 at 11:56 PM, Allen2Moulds said:

I know everyone will laugh at Mitch Trubisky now, but a lot of people were praising Trubisky, after the year he had last year.  I personally didn't see it.  They were able to mask a lot of his inefficiencies, but whenever he needed to make a big play (critical 3rd down/end of game) type of throw, he was off the mark more often than not.  Josh doesn't, and won't have the stats that Mitch had, but he passes the eyeball test.  He couldn't be any more different.  I'd like to hear all the self proclaimed experts, on how inaccurate Josh is.  That argument is getting a lot tougher with each passing game.  Will he make some boneheaded plays from time to time, absolutely.  So will Drew Brees, and even the great Tom Brady.  Time and experience is the only thing, that can reduce that frequency.     

The eyeball test is every bit as biased as stats used badly.

It's a psychological fact that people see what they want to see.  Confirmation bias. People want to pretend that because an opinion is based on video, it's correct, and that is on the face of it ridiculous. If it were so, people would never look at video and disagree about how good someone is and whose fault a given play is.

The reason Josh "passes the eyeball test," is because you like him and want him to. Plenty of fairminded people watch Josh and see him fail the eyeball test. The way to come closest to the truth would be something along the lines of this:

Sometimes Josh Allen really looks like he can become a franchise QB. And then, sometimes he doesn't.

4 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Im too lazy to look it all up, but I cant imagine there are that many QBs with a better win-loss ratio as starter.  Are there other stats that matter?

Thing is ... that's not a QB stat.

It's a team stat, unless you're going to give Josh Allen the credit for holding opponents to low scores, for Buffalo pick-sixes and to blame Josh for everything bad that happens, missed field goals, etc.

None of which makes the slightest bit of sense.

It's this simple ... you give Josh Allen the blame and the credit for how well he plays quarterback. Nothing else. 

So, no, no other stats matter. But that one that does matter (Win-Loss Record) doesn't judge Josh Allen. It judges all 52 Bills players and the coaching staff besides.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 11/7/2019 at 8:25 AM, CincyBillsFan said:

Fair point but IMO Allen's "unimpressive" stats are a direct result of:

*  The style of game the Bills play.  Once they get the lead the Bills primary job is to protect it.  They downshift the offense.  Even in their 2 losses the Bills were not blown out.  There has not been a game this year where the Bills needed to abandon their conservative game plan in order make up a huge points deficit.   In fact going back to Allen's post injury starts from last year and you see the same pattern.  Even last years NE loss wasn't a blowout loss.  

*  A completely revamped offense in which 9 of 11 starters are new.

*   A lack of explosive, big play offensive skill players.  The injury to Motor removed the only big play RB on the roster for 5 games.  The WR's have been upgraded with dependable guys that can make clutch catches but would anyone confuse Beasley & Brown for game breakers?  The Bills still get very little pass catching production out of their TE's, particularly compared to most NFL teams.  The FACT remains that the Bills are a few missing pieces away from having an explosive stable of skill players.

By next year I suspect that when needed Allen and the Bills offense will be able to throw the ball for 350 yards and win a shootout.  However that will NOT be the preferred game outcome for the Bills.  They will be fine with winning games 17 - 6.  The Bills will never by a fantasy football darling on offense.

Yup, his unimpressive stats are a direct result of those three things ... AND ...

... Josh's own performance.

Yup. Same with every other player in the league, really, everybody needs their teammates to do their jobs. But you can also look and see reasonably well how people are performing. 

Josh looks good sometimes. And bad other times. And he'll have to grow out of that inconsistency if he is to ever become a franchise QB.

On 11/6/2019 at 8:56 AM, Allen2Moulds said:

I know everyone will laugh at Mitch Trubisky now, but a lot of people were praising Trubisky, after the year he had last year.  I personally didn't see it.  They were able to mask a lot of his inefficiencies, but whenever he needed to make a big play (critical 3rd down/end of game) type of throw, he was off the mark more often than not.  Josh doesn't, and won't have the stats that Mitch had, but he passes the eyeball test.  He couldn't be any more different.  I'd like to hear all the self proclaimed experts, on how inaccurate Josh is.  That argument is getting a lot tougher with each passing game.  Will he make some boneheaded plays from time to time, absolutely.  So will Drew Brees, and even the great Tom Brady.  Time and experience is the only thing, that can reduce that frequency.     

I liked your argument until you disregarded Josh's "boneheaded plays" as just the odd ball, brush it off, once in a blue moon kind of mistakes that players like Drew Brees or Tom Brady will have on a rare occasion...

If that's how you're going to look at Josh's mistakes, then Ryan Leaf, Blaine Gabbert, Johnny Manziel, JaMarcus Russell, Nathan Peterman, etc. are comparable to Brees & Brady too...I mean, they all make mistakes from time to time.

Time & experience aren't the "ONLY" thing that will reduce that frequency either. Many young QB's can and do play at an extremely high level, and it didn't take time or experience to get there. Not every person in the world is capable of being great just by trying really, really hard. There are many factors that are involved, and physical gifts are but a small part of that equation. We'll see what happens, but just spending more time out there won't make things better. Statistically he's playing very much like he did last year, "eye test" or not.