Stats aside, Josh Allen looks better in year 2 than Mitch Trubisky.

I know everyone will laugh at Mitch Trubisky now, but a lot of people were praising Trubisky, after the year he had last year.  I personally didn't see it.  They were able to mask a lot of his inefficiencies, but whenever he needed to make a big play (critical 3rd down/end of game) type of throw, he was off the mark more often than not.  Josh doesn't, and won't have the stats that Mitch had, but he passes the eyeball test.  He couldn't be any more different.  I'd like to hear all the self proclaimed experts, on how inaccurate Josh is.  That argument is getting a lot tougher with each passing game.  Will he make some boneheaded plays from time to time, absolutely.  So will Drew Brees, and even the great Tom Brady.  Time and experience is the only thing, that can reduce that frequency.     

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Everyone wants him to be pat Mahomes out the gate....some qbs take time to develop...Brady was a game manager early in his career...not saying he is Brady just saying some qbs take some time to develop. He has control and respect of his team already...that’s a huge plus...he is been good not great...

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Trubisky sucks 

I agree. Prior to the opener, I remember Sal saying that if Josh has the jump that Trubisky had in year 2, he would be very happy.  That surprised me. I wanted no part in that comparison, no matter how good his stats looked.  

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Wasn't this a topic already discussed in numerous threads?  

one big one was 

Trubisky, hanging on by a thread

my mistake if it was.

The strange thing I’ve noticed about watching Josh Allen this year, Pats game aside, is that I usually find myself thinking he’s played pretty well with the eye test... then I look at his stats and am disappointed when I see an average of 200 yards passing per game.  

He looks the part, but the deep ball issues and offensive consistency in general, are preventing us from seeing a QB, and Offense, that’s arrived.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Allen was a blue chip prospect for playing the all important position when he was drafted and nothing so far in his pro career alters that perspective. To the contrary he has shown reasonable progression. Looks to me that he is on his way to developing into a legit starting calibre QB and quite possibly a franchise guy. He absolutely has all the physical tools as well as the intangibles. I'm very impressed with him as a player and with his maturity as a person and leader of men. 

Of course his is possibly the toughest job in all of sports so it's gonna take awhile and nothing is given in this game.

• Like (+1) 5

Josh Allen has alleviated so many concerns that people had about him so far this season.

He has improved his accuracy, improved his completion percentage, improved his ability to read defenses pre and post snap, improved his pocket presence, improved on his willingness to hang in the pocket rather than bail early, he leads the league in game-winning drives...

I mean..the only legitimate complaint people seem to have about Allen right now is that he's been more of a game manager than a playmaker. But think of that: JOSH ALLEN...is now an effective game manager. Something we were told he couldn't do. 

And oh, by the way, he does things like routinely convert 3rd and 15+ situations, he leads the NFL's BEST red zone offense, and he's now gone 13 straight quarters without throwing an interception -- which is a big improvement for him. All of this within his first 20 games played.

He has lots of room for improvement and no one's saying he's "there" yet, but if you can honestly look at his play from last year to this year and not see vast improvements and some hints of a possible franchise QB, well...I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I know everyone will laugh at Mitch Trubisky now, but a lot of people were praising Trubisky, after the year he had last year.  I personally didn't see it.  They were able to mask a lot of his inefficiencies, but whenever he needed to make a big play (critical 3rd down/end of game) type of throw, he was off the mark more often than not.  Josh doesn't, and won't have the stats that Mitch had, but he passes the eyeball test.  He couldn't be any more different.  I'd like to hear all the self proclaimed experts, on how inaccurate Josh is.  That argument is getting a lot tougher with each passing game.  Will he make some boneheaded plays from time to time, absolutely.  So will Drew Brees, and even the great Tom Brady.  Time and experience is the only thing, that can reduce that frequency.     

Oh no....this comparison will not end well. 

Trubisky had some genuinely good, clutch play last year.  He avoided mistakes and was a big part of the Bears 11-3 record.  A lot of his yardage was YAC (3223 total yards, 1803 air yards, 1414 YAC - 56% air yards).  Now that's not necessarily bad - Brady, for example, tends to rack up a lot of YAC, commonly almost half. 

And yes, Trubisky did not come through as clutch at some critical times and isn't this year.

On the other hand, the eye test says that Josh has left a bunch of big plays on the field in his 2nd year, and needs to do better.  He has improved considerably in several key areas, namely the short and intermediate throws that are a QB's bread-and-butter.  He can make some eye-popping throws at times, and he does seem to have that "clutch" gene you can't coach.

So I have a lot of hope, but I don't see the point of comparing Allen to a former 1st round pick, #2 pick who is struggling in his 3rd year.  Trubisky looked good last year and the question was will he take a step in his 3rd year or won't he.  So far it seems to be "won't". 

Next year we could be happy with Allen taking another step, or we could be in the same place as the Bears with Trubisky.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Despite all the praise this thread wants to heap on Allen, the reality is that he’s near the bottom of the league in nearly every category.

He needs to be better in the second half of 2019 than he was in the first half. Otherwise there’s no reason for an impartial person to think he’s any better than Trubisky.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

Josh Allen has alleviated so many concerns that people had about him so far this season.

He has improved his accuracy, improved his completion percentage, improved his ability to read defenses pre and post snap, improved his pocket presence, improved on his willingness to hang in the pocket rather than bail early, he leads the league in game-winning drives...

I mean..the only legitimate complaint people seem to have about Allen right now is that he's been more of a game manager than a playmaker. But think of that: JOSH ALLEN...is now an effective game manager. Something we were told he couldn't do. 

And oh, by the way, he does things like routinely convert 3rd and 15+ situations, he leads the NFL's BEST red zone offense, and he's now gone 13 straight quarters without throwing an interception -- which is a big improvement for him. All of this within his first 20 games played.

He has lots of room for improvement and no one's saying he's "there" yet, but if you can honestly look at his play from last year to this year and not see vast improvements and some hints of a possible franchise QB, well...I don't know what to tell you.

Well said. I agree with 100% of what you said.  I wonder how high he ranks in completing those 3rd and 15+ situations.  He's done it so much, that I almost expect us to convert those.  In years past, I was making a trip to the fridge or bathroom, knowing we would be punting.

38 minutes ago, Logic said:

I do. "You're dishonest and operating out of a bad faith agenda." Nonetheless, having a reasonable take on Allen will be dismissed as cultist irrationality. Some folks are already hankering for the next man up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1