Jason Whitlock may be on to something..

Protocal69

The positive contributions that Christianity brings to coaching football are primarily love (for players as human beings) and modeling a commitment to something bigger than oneself.  Of course, not everyone who calls himself/herself a Christian genuinely lives out those qualities, but it can be a pretty powerful influence from one who does model it genuinely.  Can you bring those qualities to coaching without being a Christian?  Sure, but Christianity has everything laid out pretty well.  Is being a Christian a guarantee that you'll be a good coach?  Hardly.  You need other things as well, but caring about your players, modeling love and compassion and commitment to something greater than oneself is never a bad thing.  It will always enhance the culture of a team.

4 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

If winning is the end goal, would you say that Bill Belichick has the strongest faith for building a football culture?

I know this is meant to be sarcastic, but in a sense yes. 

The Patriot's faith is very intensely focused in the system that Belichick created. Deviance from it is not tolerated even from elite players. They suppress individuality, and are willing to sacrifice players at any time. The Patriots are almost cult-like. 

2 hours ago, yungmack said:

I have to ask, Which faith? Even among Christians there are deep and profound differences about what "Christian" means. For example, the different rules and dogmas about divorce, homosexuality and even having ordained clergy. 

1) its not clear you have to ask

2) I purposely avoided being specific and offered a concept of adhering to your beliefs, that is independent from the specific belief set.   My only point is that you being a solid participant in your faith means sticking to it.  If you are  seventh day adventist one day, a jehovah witness the next day, a mormom the following day, and Orthodox Christian, Catholic or Protestent Christian the following days, I don't think you are a very strong member of that system. 

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What makes football great is a lot of different people from a lot of different backgrounds become brothers.  

I’d say the same about most shared experiences in pursuit of a common cause.

5 hours ago, K-9 said:

That’s lucky for Marv then, because he’s Jewish.

Jewish people believe in God?  lol  I can show you many quotes where he talks about God.  Some people will try real hard to make others look bad, funny....

4 hours ago, stony said:

Damn, I didn't know that.  Makes sense why he could never throw a spiral.  

I bet he threw more spirals in the NFL than you did.

47 minutes ago, Offside#76FredSmerlas said:

Jewish people believe in God?  lol  I can show you many quotes where he talks about God.  Some people will try real hard to make others look bad, funny....

My post was a joke, so I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. Do you think I was “trying real hard” to make you look bad? 

8 hours ago, GG said:

He was always a fun watch back in the day :)

that he was....that accent was priceless

8 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Right. When I said talent it should have obvious I was referring QB. I always thought it was funny that for a guy who said he loves football  that he thought that he was too good to play any other position.

i agree--that was very strange. cuz everyone but him knew that he was a good runner and good football player but had a pathetic arm

Christian, Jew, Muslim, Buddhist.....doesn't matter.

Certainly depending on your players it helps; chances are good 90 percent of your players are Christian.  It's just makes you relatable.  This does not mean it's a prerequisite to coach.

But whatever your faith, if you are just a genuine humble individual you will succeed.  

Humble - you don't think you are at the center of the universe. 

You can have all sorts of varying personalities or style or religious belief; but if that is genuinely in your core, and you know how to lead and motivate; people will run thru a wall for you.  

12 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

I don't always agree with Whitlock but he might have just sealed it for me that McDermott is the coach to lead us to the top and Whitlock doesn't even know it.

Listen at the 11:10 mark if the video is not coded at that mark.Mark Schlereth took it home. All I could think of was McDermott. I think they are right.

#Keepthefaith

So I don't think it has anything to do with faith. But I have been saying on here since before we hired Marrone..... go get the best leader of men you can find. Don't obsess on Xs and Os. 

McDermott is a leader who inspires and brings people together. It shows up on the field in so many of those close games. He happens to be an excellent defensive coach too but that is the bonus. The real value is who he is. 

14 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Haha. Not my intent at all.

I wonder, though, if a religious fundamentalist would have an issue playing for a coach who is atheist. 

I almost went with a duck & cover grenade one, but this seemed more fitting...

Now that is an interesting thought...I have to contemplate that for a bit. I think it overall depends on both people and how well that can set differences aside to achieve a common goal.

Edit: I think it would be comparable to let's say Mason Rudolph (MAGA) and the rest of his non-MAGA teammates. How, as a close knit team who is supposed to believe in each other and have each others backs, basically being brothers, overcome political and religious divides to put those beliefs and feelings aside? I think some people are able to do that and others are unable to.

Edited by Reed83HOF

9 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I almost went with a duck & cover grenade one, but this seemed more fitting...

Now that is an interesting thought...I have to contemplate that for a bit. I think it overall depends on both people and how well that can set differences aside to achieve a common goal.

Edit: I think it would be comparable to let's say Mason Rudolph (MAGA) and the rest of his non-MAGA teammates. How, as a close knit team who is supposed to believe in each other and have each others backs, basically being brothers, overcome political and religious divides to put those beliefs and feelings aside? I think some people are able to do that and others are unable to.

Well, if you’re not able to put those feelings aside, you’re in for a lot of rough patches in this world. 

On 11/6/2019 at 7:41 AM, eball said:

Forget about religion.  Schlereth hit the nail on the head.  When the players believe that the coach truly cares about them, you have a true leader.  Religion or "faith" is just a vehicle.

And yes, I believe McD is such a coach.

This.

It's not necessarily about the religion, but it's a trait or characteristic that many people of faith possess. The point is, there isn't a player in Buffalo's locker room that wouldn't run through a brick wall for their brothers in that locker room, including their coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

This.

It's not necessarily about the religion, but it's a trait or characteristic that many people of faith possess. The point is, there isn't a player in Buffalo's locker room that wouldn't run through a brick wall for their brothers in that locker room, including their coaches.

Yup. Give me a coach who is a leader. X and O's are important sure, but who is delivering that message is perhaps more important.

I've worked in two vastly different offices. Both have required me to put in extra hours in order to meet our goals. One boss told me "***** rolls downhill so I'll need you to come in Saturday" The other said "I really appreciate you putting in the extra work to get this done. It means a lot to me and the organization"

Guess who I was more willing to work harder for?

• Like (+1) 1