Jason Whitlock may be on to something..

Protocal69

McDermott has had better results that Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey or Rex Ryan.  Kudos to him for that. 

He has not had better results than Bill Belichek,  Mike Tomlin, Andy Reid, or John Harbaugh. The AFC has couple of true clown coaches right now with Kitchens and Gase. 

The other head coaches in the AFC:

Flores  - not big enough body of work to really judge.  he shows promise 
Vrabel - Results similar to McDermott

Gruden - notwithstanding the mocking, he actually has a solid track record
Reich - hard to argue he is not doing at least as well as McDermott
Zac Taylor - not big enough body of work to really judge , seems horrible though
Bill O'Brien - another guy heavily mocked. His team has 6 wins and seems ok though this year.
Doug Marrone - has been the Jags head coach about as long as McDermott. Made a championship game in that time. Would not want him here again. 
Vic Fangio - Broncos not big enough body of work to really judge.

its not clear that McDermott is anything more (or anything less) than middle of the pack in the AFC among head coaches. 

If the Bills had the absolute best talent in the AFC, I would say McDermott is good enough to give the Bills a 50/50 shot to win the AFC championship.   If the Bills have middle of the pack talent, then I expect McDermott to have middle of the pack results. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think Whitlock had a really good point on this, but I don't think he communicated it well. I don't think Christianity is a requirement for a football head coach, but I think faith is very important. Whether it be a Christian, a Muslim, a Jew, or anything in between, I think what's important is having the unquestioned leader of your football team to be an example of selfless faith. Every head coach wants their players to sacrifice their own pride for the betterment of something that's bigger than one person. As someone with a strong faith in Christ, McDermott breeds a productive culture of accountability and creates an environment where the whole building has the same self-expectations.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Olympus said:

I think Whitlock had a really good point on this, but I don't think he communicated it well. I don't think Christianity is a requirement for a football head coach, but I think faith is very important. Whether it be a Christian, a Muslim, a Jew, or anything in between, I think what's important is having the unquestioned leader of your football team to be an example of selfless faith. Every head coach wants their players to sacrifice their own pride for the betterment of something that's bigger than one person. As someone with a strong faith in Christ, McDermott breeds a productive culture of accountability and creates an environment where the whole building has the same self-expectations.

If winning is the end goal, would you say that Bill Belichick has the strongest faith for building a football culture?

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

sorry  What a waste of time even skipping 10 minutes 

I should have read the hashtag and known

God and faith has nothing to do with football.  Just ask Tim Tebow.  

Tim Tebow has more playoff wins than our entire franchise since Jan 1, 1996.  People always lament how little talent he had a QB on the NFL level.  If he doesn't inspire people, please explain this to me then.

Edited by Mark80

1 hour ago, Protocal69 said:

Tim Tebow was not the coach, nor did he have talent. If you think faith in your coaches and teammates does not matter then I don't know what you say. 

faith .. you said it was all about faith.

Next question Who's FAITH?     Christian?  Conservative? Baptist?  Muslim?  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, blitzboy54 said:

Religious people also seem to go out of their way to pat themselves on the back for their faith.  I've met too many crappy people that use their faith as an example of why they are not crappy people. I have met too many people of faith that hate people that are different than them.  This thread will get shut down but I want to be on the record before it does that in my experience I have met more awful people that say God comes first than almost any other group.  

Absolutey- I was trying to be diplomatic myself there. 

If you want an example of how faith can be a bad thing but still a control mechanism of blind faith, history and the present world are  littered with examples. 

• Like (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, eball said:

Forget about religion.  Schlereth hit the nail on the head.  When the players believe that the coach truly cares about them, you have a true leader.  Religion or "faith" is just a vehicle.

And yes, I believe McD is such a coach.

AMEN Brother ....  :oops:   Right on !!!!! 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

If winning is the end goal, would you say that Bill Belichick has the strongest faith for building a football culture?

I might say that now; however, if you looked at Belichick's record at the same point as McDermott's, where Belichick had five fewer wins, you might say McDermott did.

Just now, PlayoffsPlease said:

In my uneducated opinion, the way Belichick runs the patriots is definitely different, but with some noticeable similarities. It appears like Belichick is constantly void of the emotional aspect of the game, and is robotically logical about the sport. I STILL think that Belichick wanted to trade Tom Brady and keep Garoppolo for the net gain of draft picks and a negligible drop-off in ability (with a much longer outlook), but I think Kraft stepped in and gave Tom Brady what was in Kraft's opinion owed to Tom. In Belichick's opinion, no one person was more important than the Patriots, and if you can do something that benefits where your faith lies than you do it, and you exercise your emotional discipline.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

Using Tim Tebow out of the tens of thousands of NFL players who have strong faith and belief in God who proclaim it and live by it and have/had highly successful careers is on its own about as weak an argument as I have ever heard for a counterpoint. The definition of faith is simply "the substance of things hoped for". Maybe consider  looking up words you don't know the meaning of but think you do would be helpful.

It was the most recognized person ...   tebowing was a thing 

tebow.jpg

1xn1an.jpg

1 minute ago, Olympus said:

In my uneducated opinion, the way Belichick runs the patriots is definitely different, but with some noticeable similarities. It appears like Belichick is constantly void of the emotional aspect of the game, and is robotically logical about the sport. I STILL think that Belichick wanted to trade Tom Brady and keep Garoppolo for the net gain of draft picks and a negligible drop-off in ability (with a much longer outlook), but I think Kraft stepped in and gave Tom Brady what was in Kraft's opinion owed to Tom. In Belichick's opinion, no one person was more important than the Patriots, and if you can do something that benefits where your faith lies than you do it, and you exercise your emotional discipline.  

I consider myself a faithful Christian.   But it is very clear there is no demonstrable correlation between the depth of coaches religious faith and winning football teams.  It neither diminishes or increases a coaches success level.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Forget about religion.  Schlereth hit the nail on the head.  When the players believe that the coach truly cares about them, you have a true leader.  Religion or "faith" is just a vehicle.

And yes, I believe McD is such a coach.

I don't even know McDermott but I would run through a wall (nothing stronger than dry wall) for him.

3 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I consider myself a faithful Christian.   But it is very clear there is no demonstrable correlation between the depth of coaches religious faith and winning football teams.  It neither diminishes or increases a coaches success level.   

I agree with you and I don't think there is a direct correlation with Christianity and good football coaching. HOWEVER, I do think that the personality traits of a -->GOOD<-- Christian has some overlap with the personality traits of a good leader of men. Though this is not specific to Christianity and more specific to general faith, and X's and O's are still more important than a head coaching applicant's faith, but with only 32 of these jobs available in the entire world ideally a head coach will have a majority of the desirable traits.

Just now, Olympus said:

I agree with you and I don't think there is a direct correlation with Christianity and good football coaching. HOWEVER, I do think that the personality traits of a -->GOOD<-- Christian has some overlap with the personality traits of a good leader of men. Though this is not specific to Christianity and more specific to general faith, and X's and O's are still more important than a head coaching applicant's faith, but with only 32 of these jobs available in the entire world ideally a head coach will have a majority of the desirable traits.

IE you shouldn't have to hire the head coach that the dolphins just fired.

2 minutes ago, Olympus said:

One personality trait that is desirable in a Christian (IMHO) is rigidly adhering to the tenets of the faith, even if cultural trends, change some of those tenets from popular to unpopular.   I think the most successful coaches have been pretty flexible and changing things as their talent changes.   One concern I have with McDermott is that he has a "system" and wants talent to fit the system, and is not really able to optimize his approach to the game to fit the talent available. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

sorry  What a waste of time even skipping 10 minutes 

I should have read the hashtag and known

God and faith has nothing to do with football.  Just ask Tim Tebow.  

There are countless athletes in the NFL who feel their faith was a big part of helping them overcome obstacles in their lives to reach the NFL - as well as continuing to play a big part in who they are. So, I think there are numerous people in the NFL that would disagree with you.

The religious aspect isn’t necessarily a critical component. The point is that most often great leaders display faith in something bigger than an individual. They lead with strength, resolve, compassion, respect, accountability, and empathy. A humanist can certainly display these traits through an atheist worldview. They inspire a feeling of brotherhood and a universal faith in those around them.... a belief that “we will succeed”. Belichick has inspired that belief through success. There isn’t a player in the NFL that believes BB would put the pats in a losing situation for personal gain. Faith exists in many ways... It’s the hope and belief in ones self, and those around ones self, that can lead to success when things are going poorly: it can inspire perseverance. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1