Observations from my first home game

Thanks for sharing! I can still remember the first time I walked through the tunnel to bills dolphins kelly vs Marino! Parked on some guys lawn before discovering the main tailgating lot! I only make it up once a year now but thought if I ever lived in Buffalo I’d have to be a season ticket holder! 

I’m with you when we get that next playoff home game. The fans take it to another level! 

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I didn't get to get the entire experience that I wanted because my trip was delayed due to an elderly gentleman turning in front of me and totaling my car on the way to the airport but that's neither here nor there.

- The people of Buffalo are some of the nicest people I have met in my life, everywhere I went I was met with warmth and high fives for making the trip out from Oregon to my first home game. I honestly didn't run into one person who wasn't genuinely nice. EVERYONE was excited for me to see my first home game (the only ahole I met on the whole trip was when I was connecting in Boston, shocker!)

- I got chills when I first pulled up to New Era, it felt like it had been waiting for me to make my pilgrimage! I didn't get to enjoy the entire tailgate experience but it felt like a college atmosphere and finally getting to be around fellow bills fans was truly a delight. There was a buzz in the air and the spirits were high! I can't tell you how amazing it is to be around you fellow fans, I have met exactly one other true bills fan in Oregon.

- I was seated in section 137 and the view was perfect, beautiful weather for football. It felt like I was drinking the nectar of the gods when I cracked my first Labatts! Everyone in my section was so excited I got to see my first home game and they treated me like I was one of their own, I went up to get another round for me and my dad and I was speaking with another fan in line and when he found out it was my first home game he bought me and my dad my next round (Thanks for the 14 dollar beers!)

- The energy in the stadium is electric! The chants, the songs, the brotherhood! I have been to numerous Oregon Duck home games and this is the only place I have ever been that matches and exceeds the energy at Autzen. I have been to San Fran, Oakland and Seattle and the fans there sit and can get into lulls during the game, not in Buffalo! I am so proud to be a fan of this team and so excited about the direction we are heading. I can't imagine being an opposing player and walking in their and trying to hear play calls. that stadium is LOUD! Speaking of the stadium, I like the old vintage vibe of it, I could give a crap about having the new tech at my seat, I am here to watch a game.

- The Uber pick up spot is a hike! At least I got some steps in to walk off the beer and food from the game! And if any of you on here are the ones who bought the Uber ride for me and my dad back to my hotel I sincerely thank you, again Buffalonians are some amazing people. I don't know how much of the city I got to see but what I did see was beautiful, nice downtown area!

- After the game and after the afternoon games we hit Duffs on Dick Ave. AMAZING wings, 20 wings fries and a giant pitcher of beer for 36 bucks is a great deal. I have never tasted wings this good, and again, showing the hospitality of your town a patron bought me and my dad another pitcher of beer, so we were good and hungover for our flight home the next morning at 0600. We are definitely making the trip again, we are planning on next years home opener and WHEN they get their first home playoff game I will be there!

I am sure I ran into some of you who post here, and from the bottom of my heart thank you, you guys made this trip amazing, I am proud to call you fellow fans, I can't wait to go back again. THANK YOU BUFFALO! GO Bills!

Great post so happy you had a great time. 

Quick question for you... how was the Uber experience after the game? We have a doc for people making the trip , and I just do not have any info on Uber after the game. 

Was it easy? Lot of drivers? Etc. any info greatly appreciated!

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Great post so happy you had a great time. 

Quick question for you... how was the Uber experience after the game? We have a doc for people making the trip , and I just do not have any info on Uber after the game. 

Was it easy? Lot of drivers? Etc. any info greatly appreciated!

We requested an uber as soon as we got to the pickup spot, 45 minutes went by and our driver was still stuck on "9 minutes away", we would have still been waiting if it wasn't for the couple inviting us into their uber that they had paid for already and paying for our ride back to our hotel. On our way to our hotel we spoke with the driver and he said not a lot of drivers like to work after the game because it takes forever to pick up and drop off because of traffic. the estimated cost for the ride back to our hotel which was by the airport was 58$ and that was for the UberX. The pickup spot seemed like quite a hike but it could have seemed that way because I had several beverages throughout the game. As for the postgame traffic in the uber it really didn't seem that bad compared to SF and SEA, that is a nightmare to get out of.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Great post. 

On a side note, when the guys in line bought you free beers because it was your first game, what did you say exactly? How did you say it? Just curious. (Taking notes)

We were just BS'ing about the game and I think my west coast accent gave it away that I wasn't a local, he asked where I was from and when I said I flew out from Oregon just to see the game he said he would be happy to buy a beer for me and my dad. I don't know if he will remember buying my beer but I sure appreciated it!

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

We were just BS'ing about the game and I think my west coast accent gave it away that I wasn't a local, he asked where I was from and when I said I flew out from Oregon just to see the game he said he would be happy to buy a beer for me and my dad. I don't know if he will remember buying my beer but I sure appreciated it!

Thanks. I can’t pull of a west coast accent, but I can try some other strategy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Try these Fergs

Hi there.  By golly gee, this is my first game in Buffalo dontcha know.  "Yah y'betch and its a good thing I wasn't snow-stayed. Okiedokie and thanks for the beer 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Haha (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Try these Fergs

Hi there.  By golly gee, this is my first game in Buffalo dontcha know.  "Yah y'betch and its a good thing I wasn't snow-stayed. Okiedokie and thanks for the beer 

hahaha hahaha, are we all from Fargo?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BruceVilanch said:

I didn't get to get the entire experience that I wanted because my trip was delayed due to an elderly gentleman turning in front of me and totaling my car on the way to the airport but that's neither here nor there...

.... I honestly didn't run into one person who wasn't genuinely nice.

Phrasing!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BruceVilanch said:

I didn't get to get the entire experience that I wanted because my trip was delayed due to an elderly gentleman turning in front of me and totaling my car on the way to the airport but that's neither here nor there.

- The people of Buffalo are some of the nicest people I have met in my life, everywhere I went I was met with warmth and high fives for making the trip out from Oregon to my first home game. I honestly didn't run into one person who wasn't genuinely nice. EVERYONE was excited for me to see my first home game (the only ahole I met on the whole trip was when I was connecting in Boston, shocker!)

- I got chills when I first pulled up to New Era, it felt like it had been waiting for me to make my pilgrimage! I didn't get to enjoy the entire tailgate experience but it felt like a college atmosphere and finally getting to be around fellow bills fans was truly a delight. There was a buzz in the air and the spirits were high! I can't tell you how amazing it is to be around you fellow fans, I have met exactly one other true bills fan in Oregon.

- I was seated in section 137 and the view was perfect, beautiful weather for football. It felt like I was drinking the nectar of the gods when I cracked my first Labatts! Everyone in my section was so excited I got to see my first home game and they treated me like I was one of their own, I went up to get another round for me and my dad and I was speaking with another fan in line and when he found out it was my first home game he bought me and my dad my next round (Thanks for the 14 dollar beers!)

- The energy in the stadium is electric! The chants, the songs, the brotherhood! I have been to numerous Oregon Duck home games and this is the only place I have ever been that matches and exceeds the energy at Autzen. I have been to San Fran, Oakland and Seattle and the fans there sit and can get into lulls during the game, not in Buffalo! I am so proud to be a fan of this team and so excited about the direction we are heading. I can't imagine being an opposing player and walking in their and trying to hear play calls. that stadium is LOUD! Speaking of the stadium, I like the old vintage vibe of it, I could give a crap about having the new tech at my seat, I am here to watch a game.

- The Uber pick up spot is a hike! At least I got some steps in to walk off the beer and food from the game! And if any of you on here are the ones who bought the Uber ride for me and my dad back to my hotel I sincerely thank you, again Buffalonians are some amazing people. I don't know how much of the city I got to see but what I did see was beautiful, nice downtown area!

- After the game and after the afternoon games we hit Duffs on Dick Ave. AMAZING wings, 20 wings fries and a giant pitcher of beer for 36 bucks is a great deal. I have never tasted wings this good, and again, showing the hospitality of your town a patron bought me and my dad another pitcher of beer, so we were good and hungover for our flight home the next morning at 0600. We are definitely making the trip again, we are planning on next years home opener and WHEN they get their first home playoff game I will be there!

I am sure I ran into some of you who post here, and from the bottom of my heart thank you, you guys made this trip amazing, I am proud to call you fellow fans, I can't wait to go back again. THANK YOU BUFFALO! GO Bills!

Very cool! Glad you and pops had a great time.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I'm thinking we need to design tee shirts.  Our first home game! with graphics etc.  At my age if I wear that shirt we'll be golden.  AARP discounts plus free beer and rides!

Just now, blitzboy54 said:

My wife and I are both from Buffalo but lived in Oregon for 10 years.  Do you go to the Bills backers in Portland?  I remember that being our Sunday ritual

I've been there a couple times but I live in Salem so it's about an hour drive through PDX traffic, great place and fun to watch a game there but I hate driving through Portland.