Daboll is an excellent play caller

Daboll is an idiot. He calls a terrible game week in and week out. He IS holding this team back. The idiot kicker also didn't do us any favors today, but Daboll has got to go. McDermott won't do it though. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm a big believer in continuity, and that you need to stick with your coaches.  But I'm starting to get really frustrated with Brian Daboll. 

We are NINE games into the season, and the offense continues to struggle scoring.  The offense continues to go extended periods of time being incapable of moving the ball.

Early in the season, it was easy to blame the turnovers, penalties and drops.  But we seem to have cleaned up those areas, and STILL can't put enough points on the board.  The offense had the ball 10 times today.  Even if Hauschka makes those kicks, scoring on 4 drives all day isn't good enough.

This offense has absolutely no rhythm.  No plan.  No purpose.  Every drive feels like we are throwing darts at a board, regardless of what is working/not working, or what the defense is showing us.  On the other side of the ball, you can see the constant adjustments and the way McDermott/Frazier strategize to keep an opponent off-balance.  Daboll is the complete opposite, randomly tossing crap at the wall and hoping something sticks.

His inability to utilize Devon Singletary is ridiculous.  At this point, our offense should be built around getting him the ball.  He had 8 carries today (3 in the first half), and once again averaged 5+ yards per carry.  Against one of the worst run defenses in the NFL.  All the signs point to Singletary being a budding superstar.  But instead of building the gameplan around him, our Offensive Coordinator treats him like a gadget player.  He's no more important than Isaiah McKenzie running a jet-sweep or Patrick DiMarco catching a swing pass.

Our playcalling on third down (and fourth down today) has been especially horrendous.  For someone who came from New England, I'm baffled at how pathetic our playbook is on 3rd-short plays.  And how little Cole Beasley is targeted in those situations.  Your whole playbook should be setup, so those 3rd-5 or less plays are relatively easy to convert.  You don't drive 40 yards, get to 3rd-3 and then launch a deep pass to a well-covered WR.  We are just as likely to convert a 3rd-15 as a 3rd-3, because our OC doesn't have a plan.  He is just randomly calling stuff.

I was a strong first-half for the Bills, built almost entirely on the defense suffocating opponents.  We got to 6-2.  But some cracks have started showing, and the defense cannot be counted on to totally shut-down teams every single week.  The offense has had enough time to come together, and they need to hold-up their end of the bargain.  Another bad performance is discouraging me from believing that will happen in 2019.  If it doesn't, that Wild Card spot might not be such a guarantee.

No. Daboll sucks as a game day play caller.

His offensive system might be fantastic, but Daboll isn't good on Sundays.

The coaches need to have an epiphany this week of we want to continue winning and make the playoffs at the end of the year.

Right now, game day coaching and play calling is our biggest problem.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The coaches need to have an epiphany this week of we want to continue winning and make the playoffs at the end of the year.

You’ve got to always stop not placing blame on the QB.  You always blame everyone else.

Allen isn’t making enough plays and is careless with the football.  He’s a major issue in this offense.

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Daboll is in a tough spot. He has a good system. He just doesnt have a very good qb for this system. I always find it funny when people used to say why dont teams run NE's system. You need a smart accurate qb to run that system.

Allen would be better served with Greg Roman, but I heard on this board he sucks too.

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You’ve got to always stop not placing blame on the QB.  You always blame everyone else.

Allen isn’t making enough plays and is careless with the football.  He’s a major issue in this offense.

You don't think Kitchens called the better game?

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No. You can't do this here because I HAVE placed blame on Allen. He is awful as a deep passer and has a big Big BIG problem holding onto the football when he's running.

I'm highly critical of him in those 2 aspects of his game. Long term if he can't hit some deep passes I don't think he can last in this league.

But other than that, I'm sorry but I strongly disagree.

Are you honestly telling me that as you watch you think Daboll is calling great plays?

@oldmanfan started a thread in the last week or 2 to just let Allen be Allen and I think that's an accurate assessment.

Put him in shotgun and spread the offense out. Keep an RB in the backfield and run it on occasion, that's fine. Keep doing the motion sweeps with McKenzie. That's fine. But this play calling has just been like throwin crap against a wall and hoping something sticks.

Once again, Allen hasn't been excused because I really think his deep passing and fumble issues are BIG issues. But otherwise he was good today.

If you don't think he was good without those few deep misses (we're there 3 or 4?) and the fumble he lucked out on, can you identify a handful of plays that you would qualify as bad?

I also counted like 3 drops by WRs and a couple good passes by Allen that were just really well defended.

Not just the long bomb on third down, but that second 4th down we attempted, on that third and fourth down (less than 5 to go) combined, there was like one receiver that ran any sort of quick-developing route. the rest of the guys had deep, long routes, the pressure got to allen, and the plays died before they could unfold. We didn't need 20 yards, we needed 4.

16 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Daboll is in a tough spot. He has a good system. He just doesnt have a very good qb for this system. I always find it funny when people used to say why dont teams run NE's system. You need a smart accurate qb to run that system.

Allen would be better served with Greg Roman, but I heard on this board he sucks too.

Disagree. I think the system is fine. Allen demonstrates he can run it just fine when it's turned over to him the way it was late in the game today. What Daboll pulls from that system in the context of the game when he's calling plays is not.

Might be time for him to go up in the booth.

1 minute ago, arcane said:

Not just the long bomb on third down, but that second 4th down we attempted, on that third and fourth down (less than 5 to go) combined, there was like one receiver that ran any sort of quick-developing route. the rest of the guys had deep, long routes, the pressure got to allen, and the plays died before they could unfold. We didn't need 20 yards, we needed 4.

Yes. Daboll still sucks. 

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No. You can't do this here because I HAVE placed blame on Allen. He is awful as a deep passer and has a big Big BIG problem holding onto the football when he's running.

I'm highly critical of him in those 2 aspects of his game. Long term if he can't hit some deep passes I don't think he can last in this league.

Are you honestly telling me that as you watch you think Daboll is calling great plays?

@oldmanfan started a thread in the last week or 2 to just let Allen be Allen and I think that's an accurate assessment.

Put him in shotgun and spread the offense out. Keep an RB in the backfield and run it on occasion, that's fine. Keep doing the motion sweeps with McKenzie. That's fine. But this play calling has just been like throwin crap against a wall and hoping something sticks.

Once again, Allen hasn't been excused because I really think his deep passing and fumble issues are BIG issues. But otherwise he was good today.

If you don't think he was good without those few deep misses (we're there 3 or 4?) and the fumble he lucked out on, can you identify a handful of plays that you would qualify as bad?

I also counted like 3 drops by WRs and a couple good passes by Allen that were just really well defended.

Yeah he missed a couple long balls and that needs improvement.  But I think at most 5% of passes are in the air more than 30 yards.  Still, hitting McKensie would have been big.

I say let Allen be Allen.  Let him play the first three quarters the way he plays 4th quarters. And get Singletary the ball!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I never said Daboll is great.  

We aren’t scoring points in this offense.  It’s not that Allen is terrible, it’s just that he doesn’t do enough.  He doesn’t make enough plays....major reason why we aren’t scoring points.  

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Fire Dabol Now???? 

I started a poll in a thread but the authorities on here shut it down. What you say Fire Dabol now to salvage our season Yes or No?

I don’t see what would be served by firing him mid season, but McDermott for reals needs to have a “come to Jesus” meeting with him and figure out some guidelines or oversight of the play calling, because it’s beyond bizarre at times.

• Like (+1) 1