Daboll is an excellent play caller

52 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

So, it’s the ‘Haves’ vs the Gugnyites, eh? 

Well here’s a little salt for your Cheerios, G’s; One team stands alone at the top of the stat sheet for RedZone efficiency (read Scoring), and It isn’t Brady & Belichek, Brees & Payton, Mahomes & Reid, Goff, Rodgers or Jimmy G.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

-pretty damn effective traveling over 70 yards to get in the RedZone as well. Yet, they continue to be plagued by penalties and untimely dropped passes. Far from the experienced proficiency of the others mentioned, Buffalo has NINE new players starting on Offense from the start of ‘18. That’s  9. Count ‘em. NINE! Barreling down the field almost at will and punching it their face AND the into the Endzone! They’re doing it with 3 rookies starting, a second year QB and castoffs at OL & WR.

jmo, but it’s pretty juvenile to think the OC sucks and should be replaced.

I agree with all of the good stuff.  I've never said that Daboll is "all bad."

I also agree that the red zone success has been impressive and a lot of the reason we don't get there more is on the drops and penalties.

I am getting hung up (perhaps too much) on things like McKenzie being a healthy scratch against Philly; and Gore/Singletary getting a combined 12 carries in the same game ... and continuing to run Gore up the gut when Singletary was effective all day .... and inexplicably stopping throwing the ball to Knox.

Just too many head-scratchers. 

I don't want him to be fired.  I want consistency with the coaching staff for as long as we can enjoy it.  But I honestly feel that these ridiculous changes in game-plan (within the same game) are throwing off any kind of groove Josh Allen and the entire offense are getting into.

I find it difficult to overlook that simply because he's doing other things well.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m not intelligent enough to understand. On a serious note, I know what you mean by the game being in hand, but usually teams come out of the gate running their normal offense in regular season games. I don’t understand what Daboll is hiding, please englighten the ignorant. The Pats and Brady have run an offensive scheme that has worked for years. They don’t need to hide what they are. 

They were in a position to not have to show anything other than the most basic of schemes...as evidenced by them scoring TD’s and handily winning the game. 

Wasn’t trying to be a turd, was just goofing as all of this has been discussed ad nauseum over multiple threads. 

People can choose to believe Woods is throttled by his employer but he certainly doesn’t come across that way. I met him a few years ago on Canandaigua Lake and he calls it like he sees it. He did then and he appears to do so now.

This team is 6-2 and there is a lot of room for improvement and he consistently points that out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I agree with all of the good stuff.  I've never said that Daboll is "all bad."

I also agree that the red zone success has been impressive and a lot of the reason we don't get there more is on the drops and penalties.

I am getting hung up (perhaps too much) on things like McKenzie being a healthy scratch against Philly; and Gore/Singletary getting a combined 12 carries in the same game ... and continuing to run Gore up the gut when Singletary was effective all day .... and inexplicably stopping throwing the ball to Knox.

Just too many head-scratchers. 

I don't want him to be fired.  I want consistency with the coaching staff for as long as we can enjoy it.  But I honestly feel that these ridiculous changes in game-plan (within the same game) are throwing off any kind of groove Josh Allen and the entire offense are getting into.

I find it difficult to overlook that simply because he's doing other things well.

I'd always be careful about reading too much into scratches. A lot of injuries never get reported. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Gaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! some things can not be un-Seen :bag:

By the time I get to some of the threads lately, they already have all of my points and thoughts stated and there is no point rehashing them, so my contributions become this :lol:

Daboll's done fine by me.  I think I gave him a "B" in another thread.  

We're still pretty limited on that side of the ball IMO.  O-Line still a bit shoddy, young QB, still only 2 legit NFL WRs.  One more offseason before I can really judge him.  But overall, signs are encouraging.   

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Daboll isn't horrible but he isn't amazing

And in pretty sure wood is on the bills payroll so he will always be pretty positive

Daboll puzzles me still.   You and I talked about this some last year.

Daboll reminds me of the cartoon joke showing a duck with a cluster of shots to his left, and another cluster of shots equally spaced to his right.

The caption is "statistically, the Duck is Dead"

There are times when I think his plays are well-drawn-up and work beautifully.

There are times when I'm yelling at the screen and the dog gets upset with me.

Did you catch the presser this week where he said each of the "and 1" goal line plays was different?  I haven't looked - that may be true - but I think it's too fine a distinction.  If your OL is getting their asses shoved back and handed to them, it doesn't matter if you call 3 different plays that rely on their asses to beat the other guys asses using a different pattern.  They're still going to get their asses shoved back and handed to them.

Wood is indeed on the Bills payroll.  So as I said elsewhere while I'm sure he speaks what he sees as truth, and nothing but the truth, I don't think he speaks all his truth.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

if you actually watch him breaking down film and explaining why hes running plays that setup other plays Then maybe you could see hes not some homer.

Daboll is not the problem and he's going to be here for along time, Player execution is and its only getting better.

I think people are so conditioned to losing and complaining about it they dont know how to do anything else and are looking for something to cry about even though we are winning and the offense is much better than last year.

I don't want daboll gone, everyone can learn from their mistakes the coaches and the players.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Daboll puzzles me still.   You and I talked about this some last year.

Daboll reminds me of the cartoon joke showing a duck with a cluster of shots to his left, and another cluster of shots equally spaced to his right.

The caption is "statistically, the Duck is Dead"

There are times when I think his plays are well-drawn-up and work beautifully.

There are times when I'm yelling at the screen and the dog gets upset with me.

Did you catch the presser this week where he said each of the "and 1" goal line plays was different?  I haven't looked - that may be true - but I think it's too fine a distinction.  If your OL is getting their asses shoved back and handed to them, it doesn't matter if you call 3 different plays that rely on their asses to beat the other guys asses using a different pattern.  They're still going to get their asses shoved back and handed to them.

Wood is indeed on the Bills payroll.  So as I said elsewhere while I'm sure he speaks what he sees as truth, and nothing but the truth, I don't think he speaks all his truth.

Yea I'll rewatch those 3 plays to see if I can pick up any nuances that are different....

I feel the same as you. Some games he gets in a good rhythm and I think he calls up a good mix of bread and butter plays with well timed misdirection plays

Then other games I feel like he is outthinking himself. I think he needs to get a bit more creative on 3rd and short and just try and get the ball to playmakers more

8 hours ago, George C said:

Geez...

We’re not Cleveland. Let’s not fire everyone on a whim... Let them develop the team and the players for gods sake. 

Daboll is and should be our coordinator for the foreseeable future. 

Absolutely. Allen gets the season. The coaching staff get the season. So should Daboll. 

Why is a Allen capable of improving when showing good and bad but not Daboll? He's not getting fired

Edited by london_bills

11 hours ago, stuvian said:

running Gore 3 x in a row on the goal line was real innovative

Ask Marshawn Lynch about passing on the goal line. 

Bottom line is, if he was passing at the goslline and didnt convert, people will b@tch and moan. Just like you are that he ran three times and didnt convert. If he scored on 3rd, would you be complaining? No.

Daboll called a play on 4th and scored, so really, who gives a rat's ass about 1-3.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TroutDog said:

It’s not a secret, it’s the SIMPLE fact of showing upcoming opponents as little of your O as possible when a game is already in hand. 

It is exceedingly basic and not sure how it’s hard to grasp. 

This is stupid... we are going to suddenly unleash fury a bunch of plays these guys have never run before in a game setting to perfection all of a sudden?  Later in the season it becomes about execution and not really about surprising anybody..  They shouldn't be saving anything that could get this offense going.

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well here’s a little salt for your Cheerios, G’s; One team stands alone at the top of the stat sheet for RedZone efficiency (read Scoring), and It isn’t Brady & Belichek, Brees & Payton, Mahomes & Reid, Goff, Rodgers or Jimmy G.

-pretty damn effective traveling over 70 yards to get in the RedZone as well. Yet, they continue to be plagued by penalties and untimely dropped passes. Far from the experienced proficiency of the others mentioned, Buffalo has NINE new players starting on Offense from the start of ‘18. That’s  9. Count ‘em. NINE! Barreling down the field almost at will and punching it their face AND the into the Endzone! They’re doing it with 3 rookies starting, a second year QB and castoffs at OL & WR.

This

6 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Great point. 

Edited by london_bills