Daboll is an excellent play caller

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Even Bill Belichick runs goalline dives. Is he sometimes putrid?

Yeah.  Goalline dives are fine, but not 3 plays in a row when you were completely stuffed the previous 2.

Daboll even came back to it at least once later in the game and lost 3 yards.

I think there was another time they did it and got stuffed, too.

Now, if Daboll came in on that 3rd down with that exact setup to run it and ran a naked QB bootleg or told the TE to slip behind the D, then I'd congratulate him on his playcalling, even if we fail.

I NEVER like it when you run the same play 3 straight plays after getting stuffed on the first 2.

Maybe that's just me.

Frankly, I challenge you to find a moment where a Belicheck coached team did that.

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Based on McDermott's postgame comments, I have a hunch that it was him and not Daboll who was behind the slam-Gore-repeatedly-up-the-middle-against-a-very-talented-front-seven approach.

A very talented front seven? Are you basing that on the fact they are all NFL players or something?

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Yeah.  Goalline dives are fine, but not 3 plays in a row when you were completely stuffed the previous 2.

Daboll even came back to it at least once later in the game and lost 3 yards.

I think there was another time they did it and got stuffed, too.

Now, if Daboll came in on that 3rd down with that exact setup to run it and ran a naked QB bootleg or told the TE to slip behind the D, then I'd congratulate him on his playcalling, even if we fail.

I NEVER like it when you run the same play 3 straight plays after getting stuffed on the first 2.

Maybe that's just me.

Frankly, I challenge you to find a moment where a Belicheck coached team did that.

BB teams don’t run dives 3x in a row because they get in on the first or second try almost always. 

If Allen fumbles on a naked bootleg, Daboll would get crushed for getting cute. It’s so obvious.

5 hours ago, Olympus said:

Your posts are refreshingly reasonable and I appreciate your contribution to this board. We're all here to discuss Buffalo Bills football and not the validity of each other's passion. I genuinely believe that the people that are mad at Dabol running Gore 3 straight times at the 1 yard line, are the same people that got mad at Dabol for being "too cute" on the 2 yard line the drive before. When we got to the 1-yard line after the catch from Knox, I said out loud while watching, "Just run the ball with Frank until its a touchdown or 4th down.". That genuinely made the most sense to me, and even sitting here with the hindsight of the results, I STILL think it was the right decision. Frank Gore is a savy vet who's a power runner with as good of ball security as we could ask for.

Oh, and we have the highest offensive red zone efficiency in the NFL halfway through the season. That's near impossible to do with bad playcalling imo.

I agree with all this. I liked the first down call at the 2 the first time. Thought it was a good call and absolutely not "getting too cute". I didn't love the 2nd down call (the tap pass to McKenzie as that feels like a tendency the defense can tee off on there) and who knows what the third down call was because it was a bust play once Josh dropped the snap. I liked that series much more than the slam Gore into the line a million times. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Based on McDermott's postgame comments, I have a hunch that it was him and not Daboll who was behind the slam-Gore-repeatedly-up-the-middle-against-a-very-talented-front-seven approach.

If that's the case, I retract my criticism of Daboll.

And honestly, I've been having my issues with McDermott lately.

Last week he should have taken the Field Goal in relatively easy Hauschka FG territory.

This week he should have challenged that John Brown DPI.

I think there was another play this week involving a FG that was a questionable decision.

3 of the exact same play on the Goal line after getting stuffed on the first 2 plays.

McDermott is a really good coach, but he's definitely still learning on the job.

BB teams don’t run dives 3x in a row because they get in on the first or second try almost always. 

Exactly.

If Allen fumbles on a naked bootleg, Daboll would get crushed for getting cute. It’s so obvious.

If Allen fumbles on a naked bootleg?

When do you ever see a fumble on a naked bootleg?

What a weird statement.  It's like you're saying Allen should never touch the ball.

6 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

A very talented front seven? Are you basing that on the fact they are all NFL players or something?

I'm basing it on the fact that Payne, Allen, Kerrigan, and Montez Sweat are all truly elite athletes and universally regarded as blue-chip level talent (Sweat set a combine record for a d-line player with a 4.41 40). On every one of those Gore runs, Payne absolutely destroyed Morse, beating him to the low spot because he's a lot quicker and then blowing up the play.  Minnesota couldn't handle their front seven the weak before either, but took advantage of their edge play and weak secondary. 

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If that's the case, I retract my criticism of Daboll.

And honestly, I've been having my issues with McDermott lately.

Last week he should have taken the Field Goal in relatively easy Hauschka FG territory.

This week he should have challenged that John Brown DPI.

I think there was another play this week involving a FG that was a questionable decision.

3 of the exact same play on the Goal line after getting stuffed on the first 2 plays.

McDermott is a really good coach, but he's definitely still learning on the job.

He would have 100 percent lost that PI challenge. No coach is winning those challenges, and that one, while certainly PI, was a lot closer to legit than many of the ones that aren't being overturned on challenges. 

Edited by dave mcbride

22 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm basing it on the fact that Payne, Allen, Kerrigan, and Montez Sweat are all truly elite athletes and universally regarded as blue-chip level talent (Sweat set a combine record for a d-line player with a 4.41 40). On every one of those Gore runs, Payne absolutely destroyed Morse, beating him to the low spot because he's a lot quicker and then blowing up the play.  Minnesota couldn't handle their front seven the weak before either, but took advantage of their edge play and weak secondary. 

He would have 100 percent lost that PI challenge. No coach is winning those challenges, and that one, while certainly PI, was a lot closer to legit than many of the ones that aren't being overturned on challenges. 

Such good athletes that they’re bottom 4 in rushing yards allowed and middle of the pack in Y/A allowed.

28 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

https://theathletic.com/1343959/2019/11/01/bills-redskins-preview-which-defenders-buffalo-should-unleash-against-a-beleaguered-offense/

Matt Ioannidis vs. Bills interior

The Bills’ defense has a considerable advantage on Sunday, but on the other side, Washington’s defense is quite underrated. Other than their struggles against the pass, Washington’s defensive front possesses a lot of talent and has kept most games close. Out of their entire front seven, five-technique defensive end Matt Ioannidis has looked the strongest.

Ioannidis is a gifted one-on-one player at the line of scrimmage. He flashes the ability to get into the backfield after one move or effective hand usage. Against either right guard Jon Feliciano or left guard Quinton Spain, Ioannidis will win some battles and try to force the Bills into negative situations. In both run and pass defense, Ioannidis helps set the table either for pass rusher Ryan Kerrigan or for inside linebacker Jon Bostic. His teammates along the defensive line, in Jonathan Allen and nose tackle Da’Ron Payne, will make it difficult for the Bills to focus their attention on Ioannidis. If the Bills can neutralize his impact throughout the game, they’ll have a far better chance to move the ball consistently.

24 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

What?!

You thought that play was a legit play by the defender?

Wow I couldn't disagree more!

It was an absolutely blatant DPI.  It was one that I think would have been overturned.  The defender literally grabs Browns legs as he's jumping for a very catchable football. 

That play right there would have been a great test to see if the officials are being honest, because there's no way they could have not overturned it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

https://theathletic.com/1343959/2019/11/01/bills-redskins-preview-which-defenders-buffalo-should-unleash-against-a-beleaguered-offense/

Matt Ioannidis vs. Bills interior

The Bills’ defense has a considerable advantage on Sunday, but on the other side, Washington’s defense is quite underrated. Other than their struggles against the pass, Washington’s defensive front possesses a lot of talent and has kept most games close. Out of their entire front seven, five-technique defensive end Matt Ioannidis has looked the strongest.

Ioannidis is a gifted one-on-one player at the line of scrimmage. He flashes the ability to get into the backfield after one move or effective hand usage. Against either right guard Jon Feliciano or left guard Quinton Spain, Ioannidis will win some battles and try to force the Bills into negative situations. In both run and pass defense, Ioannidis helps set the table either for pass rusher Ryan Kerrigan or for inside linebacker Jon Bostic. His teammates along the defensive line, in Jonathan Allen and nose tackle Da’Ron Payne, will make it difficult for the Bills to focus their attention on Ioannidis. If the Bills can neutralize his impact throughout the game, they’ll have a far better chance to move the ball consistently.

The Browns have very talented pass catchers but their performance this year hasn’t really demonstrated their talent you know.

Just now, BringBackOrton said:

The Browns have very talented pass catchers but their performance this year hasn’t really demonstrated their talent you know.

Largely because of the guy throwing to them.

The play of the Washington front 7 doesn't rely on someone throwing to them.  Their play up the middle of the defense has been very good so far this year.  It's why Daboll's initial gameplan with Singletary was fantastic. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What?!

You thought that play was a legit play by the defender?

Wow I couldn't disagree more!

It was an absolutely blatant DPI.  It was one that I think would have been overturned.  The defender literally grabs Browns legs as he's jumping for a very catchable football. 

That play right there would have been a great test to see if the officials are being honest, because there's no way they could have not overturned it.

No, I don't think it was legit, I just think it was a closer call than some of the absolute muggings that aren't being overturned on review. He got there a second early, but some of the plays not being overturned involve facemasks and pull-downs long before the ball gets there. Literally NOTHING is being overturned, and hasn't been since game 2 of the season. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Have you watched their edge play or any of their games for that matter? 

Exactly.

@BringBackOrton just isn't getting it.  The interior of the Redskin defense has been stout all year but their edges have been crap, which was why we had so much success with Singletary on Sunday and why it was so stupid to try 3 straight QB dives on the goalline with Gore.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Largely because of the guy throwing to them.

The play of the Washington front 7 doesn't rely on someone throwing to them.  Their play up the middle of the defense has been very good so far this year.  It's why Daboll's initial gameplan with Singletary was fantastic. 

But it does rely on the play of the OL in front them. I continue to contend that Morse and co, a group we invested a decent chunk of cash into, should be able to get a yard on 3 plays. Regardless of the talent level of any front 7 in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Have you watched their edge play or any of their games for that matter? 

For sure not. I’ll concede that lol.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

No, I don't think it was legit, I just think it was a closer call than some of the absolute muggings that aren't being overturned on review. Literally NOTHING is being overturned, and hasn't been since game 2 of the season. 

I disagree.

A lot of the "absolute muggings" I could see officials arguing defenders are with the WR and the fact that they at least have the chance to make a play on the ball makes it questionable if they are.

On Sunday that defender was on the ground, had ABSOLUTELY no shot at the ball, and just held Brown's legs so he couldn't go up and get it.

Blatant and there was no singular excuse for that DB.

By the way, all of this is beside the point unless you honestly believe McDermott is just being shrewd in not challenging ANY DPIs the rest of the year because they aren't being overturned.

Should've been challenged.

But it does rely on the play of the OL in front them. I continue to contend that Morse and co, a group we invested a decent chunk of cash into, should be able to get a yard on 3 plays. Regardless of the talent level of any front 7 in the NFL.

Now you're being obstinate.

56 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Interesting.  It may be asking too much, but could you pull out (or at least give the time stamp of) the comments that have you believe so?

• Thank you (+1) 1

So, it’s the ‘Haves’ vs the Gugnyites, eh? 

Well here’s a little salt for your Cheerios, G’s; One team stands alone at the top of the stat sheet for RedZone efficiency (read Scoring), and It isn’t Brady & Belichek, Brees & Payton, Mahomes & Reid, Goff, Rodgers or Jimmy G.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

-pretty damn effective traveling over 70 yards to get in the RedZone as well. Yet, they continue to be plagued by penalties and untimely dropped passes. Far from the experienced proficiency of the others mentioned, Buffalo has NINE new players starting on Offense from the start of ‘18. That’s  9. Count ‘em. NINE! Barreling down the field almost at will and punching it their face AND the into the Endzone! They’re doing it with 3 rookies starting, a second year QB and castoffs at OL & WR.

jmo, but it’s pretty juvenile to think the OC sucks and should be replaced.

• Like (+1) 1