Daboll is an excellent play caller

57 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

We beat them by 15, the second largest margin of victory on Sunday. In addition, neither the Pats*** or Niners have beaten anyone either. 

Believe whatever you’d like, but it makes perfect sense to me and, personally, I’ll listen to a smart man a year removed from a decade long career above others. 

That's fine if you want to believe Wood.  Like others have said he's on the Bills payroll, so he's kinda obligated to say something nice.

I'm not even saying that Daboll isn't running a decent offensive scheme, but his playcalling is holding back this offense IMO.

Perfect example in from the Bills/Wash game, just on opposite sides - Wash Offense/Bills DEF.  We got gashed in the first half by Washington's running of the ball, but in the second half we adjusted to stop the run (put more ppl in the box / attack the LOS with more players) and shut them down.  But Washington couldn't take advantage that we focused to stop the run more bc they have a rookie QB in his first start...

Daboll's conservative playcalling in the second half stymied our offense just has much as Washington's DEF.

As for the Pats/Niners haven't beat anyone, that's not what I was taking about with Bellycheck mixing up types of plays AFTER he has put away the other team.

Just because we won by 15 doesn't mean that game was still up for grabs in the 4th QTR.

Lead by QTR: 1st, Bills +10; 2nd, Bills +11, 3rd, Bills +8 (1 score), 4th Bills +15. (Lucky we have a good DEF)

As for the Pats and putting ppl away:  Here's their margin of victory...

Steelers +30

Dolphins +43

Jets +16

Bills +6

Redskins +26

Giants +21

Jets +33

Browns +14

Baltimore -17

Most of their margins of victory are more points than we score in a whole game...

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm a Daboll critic.  I think he has shown that he's capable of calling excellent plays, but the headscratchers are mounting by the week.  He either misuses or under-utilizes players too many times each week.  We've all seen Allen in a groove.  He's fierce.  Too many times (last week's first TD drive, for instance), Daboll will call perfect plays, the players will execute and a beautiful drive ends in 7 .... then he abandons everything that worked in that drive, for the rest of the game.  Get Josh in a groove and keep Josh in the groove.  Daboll isn't doing that.

Image result for hallelujer gif

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

There's nothing remotely innovative about Daboll's offense. Its boring and vanilla and yes it keeps things simple for Josh but it doesn't challenge him either. I find it so sad that the zenith of an innovative offense in Buffalo ended in the mid 90s.

Ha ha ha okay. So many offenses are using the jet sweep motion on the regular in the NFL. 

9 minutes ago, hjnick said:

That's fine if you want to believe Wood.  Like others have said he's on the Bills payroll, so he's kinda obligated to say something nice.

I'm not even saying that Daboll isn't running a decent offensive scheme, but his playcalling is holding back this offense IMO.

Perfect example in from the Bills/Wash game, just on opposite sides - Wash Offense/Bills DEF.  We got gashed in the first half by Washington's running of the ball, but in the second half we adjusted to stop the run (put more ppl in the box / attack the LOS with more players) and shut them down.  But Washington couldn't take advantage that we focused to stop the run more bc they have a rookie QB in his first start...

Daboll's conservative playcalling in the second half stymied our offense just has much as Washington's DEF.

As for the Pats/Niners haven't beat anyone, that's not what I was taking about with Bellycheck mixing up types of plays AFTER he has put away the other team.

Just because we won by 15 doesn't mean that game was still up for grabs in the 4th QTR.

Lead by QTR: 1st, Bills +10; 2nd, Bills +11, 3rd, Bills +8 (1 score), 4th Bills +15. (Lucky we have a good DEF)

As for the Pats and putting ppl away:  Here's their margin of victory...

Steelers +30

Dolphins +43

Jets +16

Bills +6

Redskins +26

Giants +21

Jets +33

Browns +14

Baltimore -17

Most of their margins of victory are more points than we score in a whole game...

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but Josh Allen and Tom Brady are different QB’s.

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm a Daboll critic.  I think he has shown that he's capable of calling excellent plays, but the headscratchers are mounting by the week.  He either misuses or under-utilizes players too many times each week.  We've all seen Allen in a groove.  He's fierce.  Too many times (last week's first TD drive, for instance), Daboll will call perfect plays, the players will execute and a beautiful drive ends in 7 .... then he abandons everything that worked in that drive, for the rest of the game.  Get Josh in a groove and keep Josh in the groove.  Daboll isn't doing that.

In an otherwise decent post, I'd like to ask why, "fans," is in quotation marks.  Daboll's got some good in him and I respect those who think he's doing a fine job.  We are, after all, 6-2.

To insinuate that Daboll critics aren't real fans is a pretty juvenile take.  Some fans are very happy with the current state of the Bills because they're 6-2.  Some of those fans are very happy, but still want necessary improvements to be made .... and there's nothing wrong with that.

They're ya go!

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, stuvian said:

running Gore 3 x in a row on the goal line was real innovative

Think back to the Super Bowl when the Seahawks got cute on the goal line and passed instead of giving it to BEASTMODE. 

We all know how that worked out. 

When you are on the goal line and have a beast of a back, run it! 

13 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Ha ha ha okay. So many offenses are using the jet sweep motion on the regular in the NFL. 

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but Josh Allen and Tom Brady are different QB’s.

But hopefully Josh Allen is better than Tom Brady some day. :)

Yep, the are different.  They whole NewEngland comparison came from a post earlier about the conservative playcalling at the goal line and we didn't want to 'show' anything so we ran it 3 times up the gut.  All I said about that was NewEngland waits until it's garbage time to level out their playcalling tendancies... :)

1 minute ago, hjnick said:

But hopefully Josh Allen is better than Tom Brady some day. :)

Yep, the are different.  They whole NewEngland comparison came from a post earlier about the conservative playcalling at the goal line and we didn't want to 'show' anything so we ran it 3 times up the gut.  All I said about that was NewEngland waits until it's garbage time to level out their playcalling tendancies... :)

Gotcha. I disagree with that interpretation of the goalline playcalling anyway.

NE runs it up the gut all the time. Gore and the OL needed to get a yard. That’s their job.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I love me some Wood, he knows his football, and I think he tells the truth as he sees it, but he IS an employee of the Bills.  He's hardly impartial.  If he told "the whole truth", he wouldn't be employed there.

The truth about Daboll is that at times, he is exactly as Wood describes.

At other times, he is not. 

We can listen to someone else who knows something about football, John Brown, when he comments "this is the most complicated offense I've ever played in" and when he comments that he ran the wrong route.  Allen has made several comments about miscommunication about routes.  HINT: hard working professional players are not miscommunicating about routes halfway through the season because the offense is "creative but simple".

It can also be seen at times that his blocking schemes aren't simple.  I've seen the Center and the RG pulling - ON A PLAY FAKE.  Yes, to "sell" the run, Daboll had the center and RG vacate space and pull on a pass play.  The D didn't bite and the result was pressure up the middle in Allen's face.  That isn't described as "creative but simple".   NE has the center pull.  Very few other teams do, for good reason.

I'm not part of the "fire Daboll" crowd, but I have seen puzzling calls and puzzling play designs that are "too cute" out of him.  If they're puzzling me, it's not because I'm too football-inept to understand their great genius (usually they did not succeed but in YPP words, "went over as well as a fart into the wind").  It's because they're genuinely puzzling at the "Football 101" level.

I go with the Cover1 guy (Fernando Schmude) who wrote that Daboll, like the rest of the Bills offense, needs to improve: "Overall, he called a good game, but surely, just like his QB and the rest of the offense, he’s still a work in progress. He needs to find a balance between being aggressive and conservative in his calls, and take advantage of the multifaceted potential of this offense, using it according to their opponents’ strengths and weaknesses."

The players, Allen in the forefront, Cowboy up and shoulder blame, saying it's on them to execute.  Truth.  But it's also on the coaches to call plays that work to his players' strengths and put them in positions to succeed.

The players and former players and analysts who are not affiliated with the team say he is good also.

No play caller is going to be perfect, however no one complains its cute when it works . How many times did josh run the sweep and it always worked but the one time it doesnt is when josh fumbles and suddenly Daboll is a bad playcaller and thats all BS. Also people were mad that he should run straight in on the goal line when hes being "gimmicky" and then he runs Gore and now he doesn't know what hes doing.

There is so much going on with playcalls, design, personnel groupings and strategy that most fans have no idea what they are talking about and its clear from the comments on this board and callers on the radio.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan692 said:

Eric wood is a homer guys.

Ya'll know better then to trust analysis that is paid for by the team, come on now=P

if you actually watch him breaking down film and explaining why hes running plays that setup other plays Then maybe you could see hes not some homer.

Daboll is not the problem and he's going to be here for along time, Player execution is and its only getting better.

I think people are so conditioned to losing and complaining about it they dont know how to do anything else and are looking for something to cry about even though we are winning and the offense is much better than last year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Glad this was the very first post here.

OP is obviously clickbait.

I don't hate Daboll.  His offensive system and philosophy seem fantastic.  His in game play-calling is inconsistent and sometimes putrid.

Even Bill Belichick runs goalline dives. Is he sometimes putrid?

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Glad this was the very first post here.

OP is obviously clickbait.

I don't hate Daboll.  His offensive system and philosophy seem fantastic.  His in game play-calling is inconsistent and sometimes putrid.

Based on McDermott's postgame comments, I have a hunch that it was him and not Daboll who was behind the slam-Gore-repeatedly-up-the-middle-against-a-very-talented-front-seven approach.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Niagara Bill said:

The best step Daboll has made is to developed the ballhandling skills for Josh. He is very comfortable with various handoff styles and hiding the ball.

In the long term this will play out well.

I think Daboll is doing a very nice job. He gets criticized for not opening up the offense, but he can’t yet.  Right now he has it tailored to Allen.  He’s running the ball a lot and giving Allen a lot of shorter throws while sprinkling in a few longer/more difficult ones.  As Allen becomes more successful with those throws we will see the offense open up more.  Daboll is just doing what he needs to do right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

After the first handful of games I thought Daboll was doing a fine job.  I’ve been more frustrated the last couple of weeks (after wood made the comments).  I think he’ll get it right.  I like his use of Mckenzie and hope it continues.  That kid is a weapon and is extremely underrated imo.  Without mckenzie in the lineup, we lose an important aspect of our offense and it showed vs the eagles.  

5 hours ago, Olympus said:

Your posts are refreshingly reasonable and I appreciate your contribution to this board. We're all here to discuss Buffalo Bills football and not the validity of each other's passion. I genuinely believe that the people that are mad at Dabol running Gore 3 straight times at the 1 yard line, are the same people that got mad at Dabol for being "too cute" on the 2 yard line the drive before. When we got to the 1-yard line after the catch from Knox, I said out loud while watching, "Just run the ball with Frank until its a touchdown or 4th down.". That genuinely made the most sense to me, and even sitting here with the hindsight of the results, I STILL think it was the right decision. Frank Gore is a savy vet who's a power runner with as good of ball security as we could ask for.

Oh, and we have the highest offensive red zone efficiency in the NFL halfway through the season. That's near impossible to do with bad playcalling imo.

I’m all for running 3 times in a row.  I’m not ok with running Frank Gore 3 times and motor zero times.  THAT was my issue.  Singletary is great at picking up 1 yard and should’ve had that opportunity (at least one time), imo

6 hours ago, mattynh said:

I get it but at the same time they did get a TD on that drive vs the previous time they were down there and called "innovative" plays where they just went backwards.  The issue is execution and talent, not the play calling in my opinion.

Careful, @Gugny is gonna think you’re juvenile. (I agree with your take)

• Haha (+1) 2