Daboll is an excellent play caller

3 hours ago, CommonCents said:

He eliminated the QB runs last week and started Singletary. I think some of that came from the HC. The team is better off. 

I’m fine with him now as long as it stays this way. 

You do bring up a good point, we don’t know exactly how much input McDermott has. My gut from watching the games is Sean appears to be following along on play calling during the offense with a head set and play sheet. I don’t recall seeing him do this in past seasons, I can be 100% wrong. 

My connecting of dots thinks that Sean does prefer Vets at times to the unproven rookies, Singletary and Knox for example. There could be multiple reasons why, one being, snap count management for rookies. Is the HC asking for Gore in short yardage?  After last week I hope Daboll and McDermott saw enough to believe Singletary needs to be the go to guy and Gore is the breather back.  

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I’ve been watching football for 40 years and played for 10 years. My biggest gripe with Daboll is his use of personnel. Example-using DiMarco on a 30 yard wheel route down the sideline where Patrick would of had to make an over the shoulder catch. I have never seen DiMarco make a catch like this ever, and I live in Atlanta and watch the Falcons a ton. 

As for his play calling it’s frustrating at times to watch him not abandon something a little sooner when it isn’t working, the Gore short yardage is becoming ineffective. On the flip side not using Beasley more has been a head scratcher. 

While Daboll isn’t the worst out there he also isn’t the best. I still don’t like him becoming so emotional while trying to coach Josh during the game. Daboll isn’t going anywhere for this season so I hope he gets better as he learns all what everyone is good at. I do give Daboll a bit of a pass because he is working with so many new players on offense. 

Yeppers!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, offyourocker said:

I was super frustrated when it happened.  But after sleeping on it, this is where your line has to win.  Good teams can do this and break through.  Nothing more frustrating for a defense then being beaten when you know what they are doing.

Like Philly driving into the wind when everyone knew it was going to be ground and pound?

2 hours ago, offyourocker said:

I was super frustrated when it happened.  But after sleeping on it, this is where your line has to win.  Good teams can do this and break through.  Nothing more frustrating for a defense then being beaten when you know what they are doing.

I had zero problems with running 3 times up the gut there, 1st and goal at the one... you should be able to get a yard...

Give the offense line a chance to push them back... they didn't.  No big deal.

My problem with Daboll's playcalling was more in the second half when we went into shell mode...  We need to distribute the ball around more, at different levels.

We are running ok vs. Washington, but a good playcaller knows.. 'Hey were up by 10 points, they are going to come out and try to stop the run. We need to take advantage of that.'

Play action pass to intermediate zone of the field, not a screen pass and not a bomb. A nice 10-20 yard comebacker or slant.  This keeps the defense off balanced and will keep the run open.

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

This was discussed on WGR yesterday and they said they are not showing any spread now as to limit what upcoming opponents see. Makes sense. 

Also, I must admit I trust recent former professional players over someone on a message board. Doesn’t that make sense?

It's been said that Bellicheck does stuff like this to balance out tendencies in certain situations, but he does that in garbage time when his team has already won the game handily, not when the game is still in question.

I think all of us are 100% behind the Bills, but we have played weak competition and we are squeaking by because of our defense.  We cannot rely only on the defense to win the games.  That is why most Bills fans are upset/concerned.  We should have destroyed Washington.  We didn't.  IMO, the players executed pretty well on offense vs. Washington.... They ran the plays they were given... That's why I blame the playcalling for holding back this offense.    

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm a Daboll critic.  I think he has shown that he's capable of calling excellent plays, but the headscratchers are mounting by the week.  He either misuses or under-utilizes players too many times each week.  We've all seen Allen in a groove.  He's fierce.  Too many times (last week's first TD drive, for instance), Daboll will call perfect plays, the players will execute and a beautiful drive ends in 7 .... then he abandons everything that worked in that drive, for the rest of the game.  Get Josh in a groove and keep Josh in the groove.  Daboll isn't doing that.

In an otherwise decent post, I'd like to ask why, "fans," is in quotation marks.  Daboll's got some good in him and I respect those who think he's doing a fine job.  We are, after all, 6-2.

To insinuate that Daboll critics aren't real fans is a pretty juvenile take.  Some fans are very happy with the current state of the Bills because they're 6-2.  Some of those fans are very happy, but still want necessary improvements to be made .... and there's nothing wrong with that.

It's the bi-polar nature of this board.

The truth is always in the middle somewhere in shades of grey, not black and white and there are plenty of folks keeping it real, and providing course-correction. I have a few repeat customers that definitely keep me honest if and when they spot any misinformation from me.

But speaking in absolutes is more confrontational and is the click-bait that drives a lot of the dialogue. 

"He will never..."

"He always..."

I respect Wood as he has played the game, but to be balanced if we are going to give credit to Daboll for his creativity when it works, we also have to point out that it is his responsibility when the offense sputters.

That may be the execution and not the play called, but he is responsible for ensuring that both work. I do think Allen will be a better QB for having been in a creative offense even if all the pieces are not clicking yet.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, hjnick said:

It's been said that Bellicheck does stuff like this to balance out tendencies in certain situations, but he does that in garbage time when his team has already won the game handily, not when the game is still in question.

I think all of us are 100% behind the Bills, but we have played weak competition and we are squeaking by because of our defense.  We cannot rely only on the defense to win the games.  That is why most Bills fans are upset/concerned.  We should have destroyed Washington.  We didn't.  IMO, the players executed pretty well on offense vs. Washington.... They ran the plays they were given... That's why I blame the playcalling for holding back this offense.    

We beat them by 15, the second largest margin of victory on Sunday. In addition, neither the Pats*** or Niners have beaten anyone either. 

Believe whatever you’d like, but it makes perfect sense to me and, personally, I’ll listen to a smart man a year removed from a decade long career above others. 

4 hours ago, Mc1320 said:

Eric Wood is on payroll and gets paid to tow the company line, just like Chris Brown, Murphy and Tasker.

Contrary to what you infer, I’ve heard all of the above give plenty of individual critiques throughout the season about what they’d like to see the Bills improve on, I haven’t heard any of them claim the Bills are even close to perfect or set at every position—have you? There’s a difference between seeing a glass half empty vs half full—maybe that’s what you’re talking about? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With a gameplan specific offense like this and so much new personnel it is a learning process as to what people can and cannot do.  With Singletary healthy and ready for a bigger role I think you will get more of an idea as to what this offense can become. I like using personnel like Dimarco to get certain defensive personnel on the field but wheel routes to him should be gassed

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

For all the "fans" complaining about Brian Daboll maybe you should learn from people who actually know something about football.

Eric Wood - 

"offensive coordinator Brian Daboll has been very consistent in the offense he dials up in that it’s creative, but it’s also simple. There are straight ahead runs up the middle and some simple outside zones, which have been successful. The team has been great with the jet sweep motions. Against Miami, they ran a fake reverse motion with Isaiah McKenzie and then got him out with the swing pass. It’s basically an extended hand-off, which is great for a young quarterback like Josh Allen. It’s a successful throw for the quarterback and it gets your playmakers out in space. This type of creativity is why I love watching this offense take the field.

I think there’s always a constant balance of doing what you’re good at and constantly evolving as well so you’re not showing defenses the same thing each week. They have done a spectacular job of doing just that. Each week presents you different mismatches and weaknesses in different spots, you obviously want to attack those. It would be easy to say that in the last game the Dolphins secondary was the weakness and probably the same for the Eagles this week, so there will be a lot of emphasis on the passing game this week. "

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/eric-wood-5-observations-on-the-5-1-buffalo-bills

I think Daboll is, overall, a good play caller.  That doesn't mean he doesn't make some stupid ass calls.

And as long as I have hindsight, I'll take the right to point out his stupid ass calls! :) 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

For all the "fans" complaining about Brian Daboll maybe you should learn from people who actually know something about football.

Eric Wood - 

"offensive coordinator Brian Daboll has been very consistent in the offense he dials up in that it’s creative, but it’s also simple. There are straight ahead runs up the middle and some simple outside zones, which have been successful. The team has been great with the jet sweep motions. Against Miami, they ran a fake reverse motion with Isaiah McKenzie and then got him out with the swing pass. It’s basically an extended hand-off, which is great for a young quarterback like Josh Allen. It’s a successful throw for the quarterback and it gets your playmakers out in space. This type of creativity is why I love watching this offense take the field.

I think there’s always a constant balance of doing what you’re good at and constantly evolving as well so you’re not showing defenses the same thing each week. They have done a spectacular job of doing just that. Each week presents you different mismatches and weaknesses in different spots, you obviously want to attack those. It would be easy to say that in the last game the Dolphins secondary was the weakness and probably the same for the Eagles this week, so there will be a lot of emphasis on the passing game this week. "

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/eric-wood-5-observations-on-the-5-1-buffalo-bills

I love me some Wood, he knows his football, and I think he tells the truth as he sees it, but he IS an employee of the Bills.  He's hardly impartial.  If he told "the whole truth", he wouldn't be employed there.

The truth about Daboll is that at times, he is exactly as Wood describes.

At other times, he is not. 

We can listen to someone else who knows something about football, John Brown, when he comments "this is the most complicated offense I've ever played in" and when he comments that he ran the wrong route.  Allen has made several comments about miscommunication about routes.  HINT: hard working professional players are not miscommunicating about routes halfway through the season because the offense is "creative but simple".

It can also be seen at times that his blocking schemes aren't simple.  I've seen the Center and the RG pulling - ON A PLAY FAKE.  Yes, to "sell" the run, Daboll had the center and RG vacate space and pull on a pass play.  The D didn't bite and the result was pressure up the middle in Allen's face.  That isn't described as "creative but simple".   NE has the center pull.  Very few other teams do, for good reason.

I'm not part of the "fire Daboll" crowd, but I have seen puzzling calls and puzzling play designs that are "too cute" out of him.  If they're puzzling me, it's not because I'm too football-inept to understand their great genius (usually they did not succeed but in YPP words, "went over as well as a fart into the wind").  It's because they're genuinely puzzling at the "Football 101" level.

I go with the Cover1 guy (Fernando Schmude) who wrote that Daboll, like the rest of the Bills offense, needs to improve: "Overall, he called a good game, but surely, just like his QB and the rest of the offense, he’s still a work in progress. He needs to find a balance between being aggressive and conservative in his calls, and take advantage of the multifaceted potential of this offense, using it according to their opponents’ strengths and weaknesses."

The players, Allen in the forefront, Cowboy up and shoulder blame, saying it's on them to execute.  Truth.  But it's also on the coaches to call plays that work to his players' strengths and put them in positions to succeed.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

The proof is in the pudding, or lack of pudding in this case. The Bills offense is bottom half to bottom third in the league by almost every category or measure.

Throwing 35 times in high winds while handing off 12 times in a game that was close through 3 quarters was just simply stupid imo. Hopefully that game was a wake up call.

I don't expect he is going anywhere this season and I hope it improves, but I think keeping a poor coordinator around just for the sake of continuity is not a good move.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

The proof is in the pudding, or lack of pudding in this case. The Bills offense is bottom half to bottom third in the league by almost every category or measure.

Throwing 35 times in high winds while handing off 12 times in a game that was close through 3 quarters was just simply stupid imo. Hopefully that game was a wake up call.

I don't expect he is going anywhere this season and I hope it improves, but I think keeping a poor coordinator around just for the sake of continuity is not a good move.

OCs formulate game plans to attack defenses' weaknesses. Philly's biggest weakness was their secondary.  Their biggest strength was stopping the run.  What kind of gameplan do those strengths and weaknesses call for?  A heavy passing attack.  Josh is supposed to be able to throw through the wind, as should any NFL caliber QB.  Execution failed. It happens. 

• Like (+1) 1

But the Bills are 6-2, they are winning games

If you can't be happy with Dayboll being 6-2 your obviously just a miserable person trying to bring everyone down and not a true fan. You would probably complain after the Bills win a Superbowl that Dayboll called the wrong running play during the game and wouldnt be able to enjoy the victory.... ...