Daboll is an excellent play caller

For all the "fans" complaining about Brian Daboll maybe you should learn from people who actually know something about football.

Eric Wood - 

"offensive coordinator Brian Daboll has been very consistent in the offense he dials up in that it’s creative, but it’s also simple. There are straight ahead runs up the middle and some simple outside zones, which have been successful. The team has been great with the jet sweep motions. Against Miami, they ran a fake reverse motion with Isaiah McKenzie and then got him out with the swing pass. It’s basically an extended hand-off, which is great for a young quarterback like Josh Allen. It’s a successful throw for the quarterback and it gets your playmakers out in space. This type of creativity is why I love watching this offense take the field.

I think there’s always a constant balance of doing what you’re good at and constantly evolving as well so you’re not showing defenses the same thing each week. They have done a spectacular job of doing just that. Each week presents you different mismatches and weaknesses in different spots, you obviously want to attack those. It would be easy to say that in the last game the Dolphins secondary was the weakness and probably the same for the Eagles this week, so there will be a lot of emphasis on the passing game this week. "

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/eric-wood-5-observations-on-the-5-1-buffalo-bills

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I’ve been watching football for 40 years and played for 10 years. My biggest gripe with Daboll is his use of personnel. Example-using DiMarco on a 30 yard wheel route down the sideline where Patrick would of had to make an over the shoulder catch. I have never seen DiMarco make a catch like this ever, and I live in Atlanta and watch the Falcons a ton. 

As for his play calling it’s frustrating at times to watch him not abandon something a little sooner when it isn’t working, the Gore short yardage is becoming ineffective. On the flip side not using Beasley more has been a head scratcher. 

While Daboll isn’t the worst out there he also isn’t the best. I still don’t like him becoming so emotional while trying to coach Josh during the game. Daboll isn’t going anywhere for this season so I hope he gets better as he learns all what everyone is good at. I do give Daboll a bit of a pass because he is working with so many new players on offense. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I’ve been watching football for 40 years and played for 10 years. My biggest gripe with Daboll is his use of personnel. Example-using DiMarco on a 30 yard wheel route down the sideline where Patrick would of had to make an over the shoulder catch. I have never seen DiMarco make a catch like this ever, and I live in Atlanta and watch the Falcons a ton. 

As for his play calling it’s frustrating at times to watch him not abandon something a little sooner when it isn’t working, the Gore short yardage is becoming ineffective. On the flip side not using Beasley more has been a head scratcher. 

While Daboll isn’t the worst out there he also isn’t the best. I still don’t like him becoming so emotional while trying to coach Josh during the game. Daboll isn’t going anywhere for this season so I hope he gets better as he learns all what everyone is good at. I do give Daboll a bit of a pass because he is working with so many new players on offense. 

I love the balance of your post.  Agreed most with your reply.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm a Daboll critic.  I think he has shown that he's capable of calling excellent plays, but the headscratchers are mounting by the week.  He either misuses or under-utilizes players too many times each week.  We've all seen Allen in a groove.  He's fierce.  Too many times (last week's first TD drive, for instance), Daboll will call perfect plays, the players will execute and a beautiful drive ends in 7 .... then he abandons everything that worked in that drive, for the rest of the game.  Get Josh in a groove and keep Josh in the groove.  Daboll isn't doing that.

In an otherwise decent post, I'd like to ask why, "fans," is in quotation marks.  Daboll's got some good in him and I respect those who think he's doing a fine job.  We are, after all, 6-2.

To insinuate that Daboll critics aren't real fans is a pretty juvenile take.  Some fans are very happy with the current state of the Bills because they're 6-2.  Some of those fans are very happy, but still want necessary improvements to be made .... and there's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

running Gore 3 x in a row on the goal line was real innovative

I realize this will come across as homerism, or typical fan optimism trying to find good in the darkness but...

After some further time to consider, maybe there was more than one reason Dabes tried to pound it in three times (or five times if you include later 3rd &2 and 4th down failed attempts.)

Sure - maybe be it was because after they tried once, he knew that they knew we wouldn't try again. And then the third time, no WAY we'd try again.

But I don't believe that (trying to out think the Redskins defense) was the reason.

I think it was actually BECAUSE we knew that's their (Redskins') strength. We were stressed as fans because we've seen these games go south too quickly. But if you're a non-emotional observer, besides running for a bunch of yards in the first half, this game was never in doubt. 

This was an opportunity to evaluate his offensive line in a couple of groupings in a game and time where it wasn't IMPERATIVE that we score/make the first down. It did eventually show what most people assume works actually worked - the QB sneak with a 250 lb 6'5" QB. He called it when we had to have it, and we got it.

Additionally, it sure fooled the Skins on the play with Motor. After pounding our way up the middle multiple times throughout the game, and running JA, that half second delay in the read before he gave it to Singletary got everyone going the wrong way for his TD scamper.

Again - I readily admit I'm probably reaching. But these guys, regardless of our opinion, aren't idiots. This was a chance to evaluate that you never get in practice, and prepare for when you REALLY need it.

Edited by timekills17
Typos. Geez.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I believe the issues are talent and execution deficiencies rather than play calling.  There are a lot of complaints about the play calling but I have loved the play calling in general.  4th and 2 QB sneak, not so much.   It is easy to second guess the play calls when the players don't execute.   It has been creative, pass heavy at times, run heavy at times...all based on game plan and match ups.  The line has had some breakdowns and Allen has not been good on long passes or more in general reading and reacting in the rhythm of the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

Daboll's bigger problem is pretty bad play design. Also earlier this year  John Brown said it was the most complicated offense he ever played in. That does not seem to jive with wood's assessment. 

At this point the Allen-Daboll combo is not great. Maybe its Allen, maybe its Daboll.  Before I would assign the word "excellent" to the Bills offense, I would like to see them score more points against their opponents than the league does on average.  Through the first 8 games, the Bills are scoring 16% fewer points against our opponents, than other teams have. This may not be a disaster. But it is quite clearly not excellent. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, stuvian said:

only after similarly crashing our franchise QB into said pile

So we scored? Good job Daboll. Yea, I saw it. Just cuz he didn't do what you wanted doesn't mean he's wrong. Allen has cut down on turnovers, by a lot. We're really good in the red zone. We're on pace for over 2k yds rushing. That's a good game plan for a qb who's started less than 20 games and is still learning. I think he's doing a damn good job. Now, if your asking for perfection, good luck. Even Andy Reid can't do that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

running Gore 3 x in a row on the goal line was real innovative

I get it but at the same time they did get a TD on that drive vs the previous time they were down there and called "innovative" plays where they just went backwards.  The issue is execution and talent, not the play calling in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 3

I think Daboll has created some fantastic plays and has shown that at any given time, our offense can do 10 different things really well and he successful moving the ball. 

I think the complaint against Daboll is that within each game, he struggles to build consistancy. From the outside it looks like he’s getting too cute, or that he’s scared to commit to whatever the defense is giving us. We need to be willing to do what works until the other team sells out to stop it- then move to the next thing.