New Season: Curse of Oak Island Tonight on History Channel @ 9pm EST

Nextmanup

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

They never find anything!  How is this show still going?

Well, they do find stuff, and some of it is quite interesting.

However, none of it seems to emanate from a pirate's loot or other horde of treasure!

I firmly believe there is nothing on that island to be found in the classic sense of the word "treasure" but the history of the island, the history of the treasure search itself, and the things they DO find on the island are all interesting to me.  But I'm a lover of history.

When I was a teenager I read a book called "The Big Dig" about the quest to find treasure on Oak Island over the years.

It really is an interesting story and I have been interested in it since back then.

11 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

After seeing this thread I turned it on. The whole show was about how some guy found a button with a metal detector. 

Not gonna lie, I'll be tuning in next week to see where the button came from. 

Quint, I'm surprised you don't hop on the Orca and sail up there yourself.  Show those pansies how it's done! 

You'd probably have treasure in your hands in a week's time. 

If it’s like any of the reality shows Bride the Second watches, they hype drama going into a commercial.  Coming back after a commercial, they reshow the contrived hype up to a reveal that’s just not worth the buildup.  Most of these shows’ run times could be halved without losing any of the story line.

6 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

If it’s like any of the reality shows Bride the Second watches, they hype drama going into a commercial.  Coming back after a commercial, they reshow the contrived hype up to a reveal that’s just not worth the buildup.  Most of these shows’ run times could be halved without losing any of the story line.

It's not quite that bad, but they do that sort of thing.  

Last night, they were poking around with the metal detector and showed the guy excited at what he uncovered in his hand, but you couldn't see what it was...and then went to break.  They come back from break and continue the scene showing that he found a button used on clothing, probably from around 1730 or something like that.

The show that debuted last night is basically the telling of this past summer's work on the island.  They are probably done doing anything on that island for the winter now.

Had they actually found something of true value or huge historical impact, we all would have heard about it at the time as a major news story.  The fact that we never did hear anything means there isn't going to be much to be found on this upcoming season's shows...but I am still willing to suspend my disbelief and watch.

As I wrote above, the show is interesting for other reasons even if they never find a pirate's treasure or the Holy Grail, or some of the other things that are allegedly buried on that island!

Was there a treasure at Oak island hundreds of years ago? I believe so

Is it still there? I don't believe so but who knows

A logical explanation that they even slightly glossed over years ago was Samuel Ball the African American man who went from rags to riches

He ended up owning over 100 acres on oak island and another island. If there was any gold or treasure to be found this man might of found it

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

The show that debuted last night is basically the telling of this past summer's work on the island.  They are probably done doing anything on that island for the winter now.

I haven't watched this episode yet, but they seem to spend more time rehashing old info instead of showing new stuff. I am guessing they are doing more of the same? I can understand the first episode of the season doing recaps, but it was pretty annoying last year where for every five minutes of new stuff had 15 minutes of rehashing old stuff.

2 hours ago, KRC said:

I haven't watched this episode yet, but they seem to spend more time rehashing old info instead of showing new stuff. I am guessing they are doing more of the same? I can understand the first episode of the season doing recaps, but it was pretty annoying last year where for every five minutes of new stuff had 15 minutes of rehashing old stuff.

For the last 3 or 4 weeks, they have been showing "new" summation shows (not previously aired) rehashing the history of the show to date.  Kind of like a highlights show.  It's just a way to catch a new viewer up on the whole story leading into the new season so they have a reason to start watching. 

The first episode of Season 7 was last night, and that was all new material.

Among other things, they are doing a pretty hardcore exploration of the swamp and once this season is over, I don't think there will be any reason to talk about the swamp again!  Nor do I think they will find anything to speak of in the swamp.

In theory, there is a buried ship at the bottom of the swamp but I don't think they are going to find one. 

1 hour ago, Boca BIlls said:

This show is so fake 

What do you mean by that?  I don't think it's fake in the sense that I think the artifacts they have found there were genuinely found on the island.

My big complaint with the style of the show is that they very obviously chop up and edit real conversations so as to create fake conversations.   Many "reality" type shows do this.  

Let's say they want so show someone being surprised in reaction to something that is said.  They will find some footage of a guy being surprised from a totally different situation and edit that in so that it looks like he's reacting to what was just said.

They very clearly manufacture most of the conversations/interactions on the show in that manner, trying to come up with something that is interesting and fits into a tight time window.

I wish they would just show real conversations; if what people are saying is not interesting, come up with a better show!

13 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

For the last 3 or 4 weeks, they have been showing "new" summation shows (not previously aired) rehashing the history of the show to date.  Kind of like a highlights show.  It's just a way to catch a new viewer up on the whole story leading into the new season so they have a reason to start watching. 

The first episode of Season 7 was last night, and that was all new material.

Among other things, they are doing a pretty hardcore exploration of the swamp and once this season is over, I don't think there will be any reason to talk about the swamp again!  Nor do I think they will find anything to speak of in the swamp.

In theory, there is a buried ship at the bottom of the swamp but I don't think they are going to find one. 

Watched the episode last night. I hope that with the amount of recap shows that they had leading up to this season that they would cut back on all of the recapping during the new shows. The first episode, I can understand. If this season turns into last season, where they spend more time recapping than showing new material, I will be disappointed.

I do not think they will find a ship, either. There are planks and other materials there, but I do not think that an entire ship is there. I agree with you that unless they find something significant in the swamp, Marty will refuse to go back there.

5 hours ago, KRC said:

Watched the episode last night. I hope that with the amount of recap shows that they had leading up to this season that they would cut back on all of the recapping during the new shows. The first episode, I can understand. If this season turns into last season, where they spend more time recapping than showing new material, I will be disappointed.

I do not think they will find a ship, either. There are planks and other materials there, but I do not think that an entire ship is there. I agree with you that unless they find something significant in the swamp, Marty will refuse to go back there.

As kind of an aside, I don't understand the amount of time/effort/money they are spending on basically re-hashing past discoveries made on the island.  They have done a lot of that, but what is the point?

Also, the legend spoke of a single, specific pit that was mysterious and seemed to possibly be the location for buried treasure.  

The legend is not that "somewhere on this island many unusual things are going on so the whole thing should be investigated" if you see what I mean.  The further they get away from the original money pit or what they believe to be the money pit area, the less things make sense.

They have done all this work in Smith's Cove for example.  Why?  That has nothing to do with the money pit and treasure.  I think they sometimes forget that this island is in a part of the world that has been visited by Europeans for hundreds of years.  That whole area has seen a ton of shipping traffic, and I'm sure there are a lot of interesting historical artifacts there to be seen in general.  But it doesn't have anything to do with treasure.

It's obvious Smith's Cove was some type of boat ramp or unloading dock at one point in time, probably 200 years ago.  Interesting, but what does this have to do with the money pit? 

I think the show's creators assume there is enough widespread, general interest in the island's history that the more they can throw in the shows, and the longer they can linger there while getting good viewer ratings, the better.  So they are milking every last aspect of the island's history.