Move Oliver to Defensive End

M. Wrotto

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

Lay off Oliver.

He is a rookie playing a tough position.

Donald wasn’t exactly dominant at the start of his career either.

Be patient for once.

its all a process.   Edmunds, Oliver , T Johnson,  Wallace, other low draft choices, FAs ... so impressed at how Beane has found these guys... super young and learning/growing.   very little cap space tied up.    this D is going to be good for awhile.

6 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

its all a process.   Edmunds, Oliver , T Johnson,  Wallace, other low draft choices, FAs ... so impressed at how Beane has found these guys... super young and learning/growing.   very little cap space tied up.    this D is going to be good for awhile ... not dominant probably, just very good

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

What....

Donald was great at the start of his career. I mean,  he was ONLY the NFL Defensive Rookie of the year, a Pro Bowl player, and named to the NFL's All Rookie Team...totally below average right?

I swear, sometimes people don't even think before saying ANYTHING to defend our own players. 

Also doesn't help that in the past we had a difference maker at DT the year we drafted him...Dareus.

He wasn't dominant the first half of his rookie year. 

And I do know what I am talking about and I am the first one to call out "our own" players if it warrants.

Donald was exceptional the second half of his rookie.

Oliver is going to have to do a 180 to be in Donald's class in comparison to the second half of their respective rookie years.

Point is, people can't expect every rookie that is drafted high to come in and dominate right away. It just isn't in the cards for every rookie.

12 hours ago, M. Wrotto said:

I wonder why Oliver hasn’t been given the chance to play Defensive End. There is no mistaking his effort, but he seems to be often overmatched by the hulking Offensive Lineman and has has a really hard time releasing from their blocks. Jordan Phillips have proven to be much more effective on the inside and watching V Taylor a couple days ago I don’t see a great drop off. Oliver is strong as an Ox, young and quick, I think the coaches should give this a try and see what happens. Thoughts?

I was one of few here who was TOTALLY against drafting Oliver , NOT at 9 NOT even at 29 overall , an like most here I’ve seen almost all of his games ( Houston) and I was never impressed with him especially the level of competition he was facing , 

With that said give the Kid a BREAK it’s only been 8 games and he’s actually doing MUCH better then I thought he would , DT is not an position where a rookie can just come in and start dominating , so let’s give the kid a little time to learn and grow , 

as far as your question goes of putting Ed at DE , I say NO because that would suggest

(IMO ) that we’re giving up on the kid ,  I think they could move him around on the DL if they / coaches think there’s a mismatch that he could take advantage of because of his speed and so on , 

Go Bills!!!!

Edited by Putin

15 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

According to this board the Bills need to

-Move Oliver to DE

-Move Ford to Guard

-Move Edmunds to OLB

If this board is right the Bills really need to start drafting players who can actually play the position they drafted them to play.

I agree Edmunds is more an OLB than a middle LB.  He just isn't that run plugger you want in the middle.  (thinking Chris Spielman here)

1 hour ago, bigK14094 said:

I agree Edmunds is more an OLB than a middle LB.  He just isn't that run plugger you want in the middle.  (thinking Chris Spielman here)

I loved Chris Spielman, but the days of the guy sitting in the middle just plugging the run are gone  ..  if the MLBer can't cover the TE , RB on passes and go sideline to sideline on runs .. he will struggle.  Think Luke Kuechly not Spielman. This is an older but decent article on the transformation of the role. https://www.theringer.com/2016/8/25/16044526/nfl-linebacker-position-evolution-deone-bucannon-mark-barron-6bd005ab96b

15 hours ago, BigDingus said:

What....

Donald was great at the start of his career. I mean,  he was ONLY the NFL Defensive Rookie of the year, a Pro Bowl player, and named to the NFL's All Rookie Team...totally below average right?

I swear, sometimes people don't even think before saying ANYTHING to defend our own players. 

Also doesn't help that in the past we had a difference maker at DT the year we drafted him...Dareus.

I mean....I really dont have to explain this to you....but they are not the same players?

Aaron Donald is the best DT in football.....our rook has the same traits but was not the refined pass rusher Donald was coming out of college

he could get to that status....but even if he ends up being a notch below Aaron Donald in the end this will not have been a bad pick.

Ppl labeling him bust are short sided and STUPID

11 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Ppl labeling him bust are short sided and STUPID

You’ve said this company line in the past in reference to many busts.   

Its losing its kick.   

11 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I'll tell you what he's seeing.

Pass rush win rates. That's what.

Thats what the analytics nerds say.