Move Oliver to Defensive End

M. Wrotto

I don't see why the idea of moving this guy around the defensive line upsets people. He has a unique skill set that creates interesting match ups. The only good reason I can see to not move him outside from time to time is that our DE rotation is deeper than DT at the moment.

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I know its heresy, but Kyle had some poor days stopping the run as well.   At least 4-5 times a game he'd shoot the wrong gap and open up a running lane.   It looked great when he made the right read, but it also led to lots of rushing yards when he didn't.    That was likely scheme-based more than Kyle, but just saying, the Bills often had trouble stopping the between-the-tackles running game long before Oliver came along...

It’s almost as if the game is set up so that opposing offenses occasionally make nice plays and score points!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I don't see why the idea of moving this guy around the defensive line upsets people. He has a unique skill set that creates interesting match ups. The only good reason I can see to not move him outside from time to time is that our DE rotation is deeper than DT at the moment.

He is extremely short for a DE. The only short guy who succeeded as a de that i can think of was elvis dumervill, and he had elite quick twitch ability — far beyond oliver’s natural ability in that area.

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He is extremely short for a DE. The only short guy who succeeded as a de that i can think of was elvis dumervill, and he had elite quick twitch ability — far beyond oliver’s natural ability in that area.

He's as tall as Dwight Freeney.

Oliver may never live up to his pick status but not sure changing positions is the right move. Not everything that works in Madden works in real life. He's a rookie who hasn't done much (even though he does measure well in some advanced statistics.) Let him play out year 1 at least. No one else on the D Line is lighting panties on fire right now either, except Phillips.

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The question for me to ppl is what if it takes someone like murphy off the field to do this

It's an absurd idea, but if it takes Murphy off the field.......I don't know. Maybe it's worth a shot.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Oliver may never live up to his pick status but not sure changing positions is the right move. Not everything that works in Madden works in real life. He's a rookie who hasn't done much (even though he does measure well in some advanced statistics.) Let him play out year 1 at least. No one else on the D Line is lighting panties on fire right now either, except Phillips.

Who happens to take snaps away from Ed. That’s OK, I’m not upset 8 games in. Let him develop while we catch lightning in a bottle with Phillips. What WOULD upset me is sitting the hot hand to force your fancy new draft pick onto the field just because of where you picked him! Ed will be fine in the long run. I’m not worried about that. 

5 hours ago, M. Wrotto said:

I wonder why Oliver hasn’t been given the chance to play Defensive End. There is no mistaking his effort, but he seems to be often overmatched by the hulking Offensive Lineman and has has a really hard time releasing from their blocks. Jordan Phillips have proven to be much more effective on the inside and watching V Taylor a couple days ago I don’t see a great drop off. Oliver is strong as an Ox, young and quick, I think the coaches should give this a try and see what happens. Thoughts?

I would give him a shot at MLB, move 49 to the outside...Just try anything..Heck Randy White started out as a MLB, stunk it up then they moved him to DT and he was a HOFer. Oliver is too small to play DT IMO in the NFL. He is very quick and can move..

Edited by Stenbar

He's quick for a DT. But he's not DE quick.

Strength is his main tool, strength and first-step quickness. Not so much the ability to run fast, though.

DT is his position. And it's very very early in his career.

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

I know its heresy, but Kyle had some poor days stopping the run as well.   At least 4-5 times a game he'd shoot the wrong gap and open up a running lane.   It looked great when he made the right read, but it also led to lots of rushing yards when he didn't.    That was likely scheme-based more than Kyle, but just saying, the Bills often had trouble stopping the between-the-tackles running game long before Oliver came along...

That's nonsense that Kyle consistently opened up running lanes by shooting the wrong gap. Just ridiculous.

Kyle was excellent against the run and when he shot his gap, which is what he shot, it was disruptive to the offense.

There was some talk about this around 6 years ago, but the idea disappeared, because it was stupid at the time and after.

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

Ed's also 20 lb heavier than Freeney.

Right, which makes him a weight that almost no DEs play at ... 3-4 DEs excepted. Mario Williams is one of the only ones I can think of and again, he's a physical freak and far taller than Oliver.

If Oliver still isn't much of an impact guy in his second and third years it might be worth while thinking out of the box. Not now, though. Oliver played at Houston, and the opposing talent wasn't even close to NFL standard. It's likely to take him a while.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, njbuff said:

Lay off Oliver.

He is a rookie playing a tough position.

Donald wasn’t exactly dominant at the start of his career either.

Be patient for once.

What....

Donald was great at the start of his career. I mean,  he was ONLY the NFL Defensive Rookie of the year, a Pro Bowl player, and named to the NFL's All Rookie Team...totally below average right?

I swear, sometimes people don't even think before saying ANYTHING to defend our own players. 

Also doesn't help that in the past we had a difference maker at DT the year we drafted him...Dareus.

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

I guess you are right.  Maybe it's me but is there a chance we are holding our Bills players to standards that are just impossible to meet?

Maybe it's having the Pats* and a GOAT QB and HC in our division for all these years is tainting our perceptions.

Saying Kyle Williams (a multiple pro bowler) was a pretty good all around DT doesn't seem over the top to me.

I'm not singling you out for your comments and I'm sure an argument can be made against every Bills player who ever wore the uniform.

Even our own HOF'ers,

To be honest I think this board is just wearing me down the last few weeks so I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Thanks for your posts, I do think everyone should speak their minds and Go Bills!